dgolvach

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

I keep hearing this term? Is this the "falling down" stuff that you see on the Benny Hinn show? Is this for real and if it is, is it from God?

Dan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I keep hearing this term? Is this the "falling down" stuff that you see on the Benny Hinn show? Is this for real and if it is, is it from God?

Dan

In the Bible, when there is a manifest presence of God or His messengers, a common response is to fall down, lose strength, pass out (see Daniel 10, Revelation 1:17). At the same time, many non-Christian religions have similar expressions during fits of religious ecstasy, including (but not limited to) voo-doo in Haiti. IMO, it could be real, but it could also be counterfeit. As I am not a big fan of Hinn, I tend to be skeptical of the "show". However, for those involved, the Lord could indeed be touching them in a special way, and I'm prepared to be persuaded by their testimony as it is lived out.

Test all things; hold fast what is good. 1 Thess. 5:21

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 1John 4:1

Guest Proverbs18
In the Bible, when there is a manifest presence of God or His messengers, a common response is to fall down, lose strength, pass out (see Daniel 10, Revelation 1:17). At the same time, many non-Christian religions have similar expressions during fits of religious ecstasy, including (but not limited to) voo-doo in Haiti. IMO, it could be real, but it could also be counterfeit. As I am not a big fan of Hinn, I tend to be skeptical of the "show". However, for those involved, the Lord could indeed be touching them in a special way, and I'm prepared to be persuaded by their testimony as it is lived out.

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 1John 4:1

rfw, you did an awesome job explaining what happens when (some) people are slain in the Spirit. When speaking of counterfeit, we msut remember that there are two kinds: 1. people acting, 2. the devils copy. With regards to the former, there is a verse that talks about the people who "act", (Philippians 1:15-18). Secondly, we kow that satan always tries to mimick Jesus. (Ex. Jesus rises form dead, anti-Christ will rise from dead; Jesus is the Lion in the tribe of Judah, satan goes about like a roaring lion.)

Edited by Proverbs18

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Dan

If you look in the Bible, when in the presence of God, believers and unbelievers have both fell down. If you notice, however, believers fell on their faces. God's enemies always fell backwards. I think it gives us pause when considering what is currently happening in many churches.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,072
  • Birthday:  02/27/1948

I have been in the situation when, being prayed for, someone actually tried to PUSH me down! :th_wave: Needless to say, I resisted and it rather put me off what I was actually there for!

Guest Proverbs18
If you look in the Bible, when in the presence of God, believers and unbelievers have both fell down. If you notice, however, believers fell on their faces. God's enemies always fell backwards. I think it gives us pause when considering what is currently happening in many churches.

God's enemies fell over dead though. In the Bible, the believers you're talking about were afraid, and fell on their faces either in reverence to God or fear of an angel. Being slain in the Spirit is when one is completely overtaken by the Spirit of God. Your strength is gone. Some collapse on the floor, speaking softly in tongues. Others I've seen basically pass out. They were standing up praying fervently, and suddenly they're on the floor. And when they came to, they usually had had a vision. I'm not one who believes someone has been slain in the Spirit just because they fell over. If I know the person, and absolutely trust their character, then I'll believe that they have been touched by Jeweh.

Edited by Proverbs18

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The purpose of lying on the floor, I have found, is to give time to the Lord. What I mean is that we people like to get our prayer and get going. But, if after being pryaed for you are fallen to the floor, you are more likely to rest there and commune with God/give the Lord time to deal with your heart.

There really is nothing "magical" or wicked about it.

However, it is cool to "feel" the presence of God this way.

Is it faked often? Unfortunately, it seems to be a "requirement" to fall over. I don't like this, either.

But if you find yourself on the floor, just use the time to commune with the Lord. After all, it can't hurt!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  1,254

I have been in the situation when, being prayed for, someone actually tried to PUSH me down! :emot-heartbeat: Needless to say, I resisted and it rather put me off what I was actually there for!

WOW! that might send me into the flesh because I could lose my cool and come up swinging. I came from a family with all boys and its just a natural reaction to push back. My brothers and I had a fight club and it would get pretty testy at times. Lots of pushing and shoving. Its how we bonded.

Dan

God's enemies fell over dead though.

Not always, the pharasees did not.

God's enemies fell over dead though. In the Bible, the believers you're talking about were afraid, and fell on their faces either in reverence to God or fear of an angel. Being slain in the Spirit is when one is completely overtaken by the Spirit of God. Your strength is gone. Some collapse on the floor, speaking softly in tongues. Others I've seen basically pass out. They were standing up praying fervently, and suddenly they're on the floor. And when they came to, they usually had had a vision. I'm not one who believes someone has been slain in the Spirit just because they fell over. If I know the person, and absolutely trust their character, then I'll believe that they have been touched by Jeweh.

And what Biblical precedent do you have for "swooning" in the spirit?

There is none, when people fell over in the Bible it was always out of awe and godly fear (believers have godly fear and so did the unbelievers).

The bible is sufficient in all areas for life and godliness and bringing in doctrines and practices from outside scripture is not theologically sound or safe to do, this is how churches fall into error. Guidelines and principles are to be found inside scripture and scripture is what you use to test the spirits and every type of doctrine. I don't have any problems with people claiming to speak in tongues or healings or prophecy (in principle) so long as they follow biblical precedent because they are described in scripture and guidelines are given for their use/manifestation. However, the only falling over in the presence of God in scripture is as I described already. This means that either being slain in the spirit as you have described has no biblical mandate and is thus theologically unsound and dangerous.