IGNORED

What role does music play in christanity?

Guest singing_heather

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

btw - I think my favorite is Michael W. Smith

What does everyone else listen to?

Hillsong, Rita Springer and many more!

In Hebrew, the most common term for a prophet is 'nabi' which comes from the root word 'nab' "to flow forth." Some musical instruments have names using that same Hebrew shoresh, and you will find several passages where music is closely linked to the prophetic world.

I have never enjoyed music--I usually find it just distracting me when I'm trying to do other things, so it a more often a source of irritation than joy--so I'm not speaking as a great fan of music, but rather as one who has simply studied the purpose and effects of music, as revealed in the Bible, and I would have to say that music is extremely important in preparing people to begin to move in the prophetic realm.....

wow....I never thought of it that way but you are absolutely correct, sir. :P

Thanks Leo!

For someone who doesn't like music, you are still pretty cool (LOL) :24:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Music has always been a huge part of my life. I've always loved music, been involved in musical groups, and experienced it as an important part of family life. It became even mroe important to me when I received Christ personally.

When my family prays at family dinners, it is by singing the Doxology. We give it our best when we sing it (even splitting into four-part harmony), because we regard it as a sort of offering. For that same reason, I train my voice as well as I can for singing with the church choir, and practice my flute for playing in band or as a soloist.

As it says in Psalm 92:1-3

"It is good to praise the LORD

and make music to your name, O Most High,

to proclaim your love in the morning

and your faithfulness at night,

to the music of the ten-stringed lyre

and the melody of the harp."

When I sing, the music expresses even more than the words. The inexpressible joys, sorrows, petitions, and praises find release in music dedicated to the Lord, my God.

Both the Old and New Testaments speak of the importance of music in worship and fellowship.

In the Old Testament, singing a song of thanks to the Lord was often one of the first things the Israelites and/or their leaders would do after a victory. See, for instance, the song sung by Moses, Miriam, and the Israelites recorded in Exodus 15, or the song of Deborah in Judges 5. And just open to any page in the Psalms to see a song of David or another Psalmist.

In the New Testament, Paul and Silas were worshipping thus when they were miraculously released from prison:

"About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everybody

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

< musicoligy, my own term, I made up, Music affects the subconscience and the moods of a person, also personality traits, Christian music, worship in general, doesnt have to be a spacific type, sets the mood for the heart to worship, and opens the heart to the message in it.

*grin* Great summary...but you should know that Musicology is already a dictionary term. It's a really neat area of study actually.

mu-si-col-o-gy [myoo-zi-kol-uh-jee]

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Deleted

Edited by Jesus Admirer

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  10/27/1965

I understand where you are coming from J.A.

All types of music are not right for all types of people. The biggest part of praise within music is that it is part of you. If you are not moved by the music it is very hard to give praise, because it does become a distraction from God.

The group I am in, for example, plays an entirly different style of music for church services than we will for a youth get together. Not that either one is right or wrong, but because it is the audience that we are playing for. Yes, we play for the glory of God, but it is so much better if the entire audience can join us in that praise.

My church still uses the "old-fashioned hymn books," and I know of many churches that do. They are still out there! Don't be discouraged. Try phoning around to various churches in your area to see if they offer a "traditional service," since many churches today (to deal with the problem of people's diverse musical tastes) offer both a traditional service (usually at an earlier time, complete with hymnals, or at least a projected image of the printed hymn) and a contemporary service (read: praise songs complete with drums)...usually the only way the two services differ is in the music they offer.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

*grin* Great summary...but you should know that Musicology is already a dictionary term. It's a really neat area of study actually.

mu-si-col-o-gy [myoo-zi-kol-uh-jee]