IGNORED

What role does music play in christanity?

Guest singing_heather

Guest singing_heather

Just curious as to everyones answer...

What role does music play in christanity (or any religion)? and this is only in terms of praise/worship/religious music. I was discussing this with a friend and thought I'd post the question here. Basically this is pretty general, so I'm hopeing the answers will all be quite different.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Praise and Worship brings the Lord's presence!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

The Holy Spirit inhabits the praises of his people. He is present for healings, deliverance and any other need the person may have. Worship/Praise is a form of warfare against the enemy. Praise/Worship is also good for depression. It is an important aspect to a relationship with God.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

Col 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

this was the first thing that crossed my mind... :emot-hug:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  12/11/1960

I will sing of your love and justice; to you,O Lord,I will sing praise Psalm 101:1

Singing songs to the Lord is another way for me to show outwardly the joy he has placed in my heart.

Guest singing_heather
Col 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

this was the first thing that crossed my mind... :noidea:

good post! :wub:

Just curious as to everyones answer...

What role does music play in christanity (or any religion)? and this is only in terms of praise/worship/religious music. I was discussing this with a friend and thought I'd post the question here. Basically this is pretty general, so I'm hopeing the answers will all be quite different.

I have a purely psycological answer for this one.

Music gives a kind of pleasure that humans can't seem to live without. The music that your soul is focused on will feed your spirit.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  09/14/2006

This sounds poetic, but I believe that singing is your natural reaction as you overflow with joy to the Lord. ^__^ David danced and sang for the Lord in public and singing has played a big part in Scripture (many Psalms were set to music).

For me, music is H-U-G-E. I feel closest to God whenever I'm belting it out, and I can come to him in any mood-- sad, happy, whatever. It brings me closer and helps me to focus on God, not distractions around me.

Cha. *holds up an iPod and dances*

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

In Hebrew, the most common term for a prophet is 'nabi' which comes from the root word 'nab' "to flow forth." Some musical instruments have names using that same Hebrew shoresh, and you will find several passages where music is closely linked to the prophetic world.

I have never enjoyed music--I usually find it just distracting me when I'm trying to do other things, so it a more often a source of irritation than joy--so I'm not speaking as a great fan of music, but rather as one who has simply studied the purpose and effects of music, as revealed in the Bible, and I would have to say that music is extremely important in preparing people to begin to move in the prophetic realm.....