Tye#2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I am going to shock you all, but I dont write in my bible.

Gasp!

I couldnt write in my college textbooks either. I cant bring myself to mark up any book. However, like the others, I dont think it is wrong to mark up your bible with notes.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

tye2 - looks like almost everyone agrees with your pastor.

A speaker recently suggested we tear our Bibles in half so we could more easily carry it and read it waiting for drs appointments, etc. So I'm assuming that many wouldn't have a problem doing that either.

Guest shiloh357

I use highlighter pencils specially designed for Bibles.

Yellow - Salvation

Blue - Messianic Prophecies

Red/Pink - Deity of Jesus

Orange - Israel

Green - Verses/Passages that have been a special encouragement to me.

I would suggest a wide margin Bible and the thinnest lead mechanical pencil you can find for note taking and underlining.

Write as much as you can. I have a bible cover that has a front pocket for my notebook and other stuff. I even have things taped to the inside flaps of my Bible.

I read somewhere that, "A Bible that is falling apart, usually belongs to someone who isn't."

I am going to shock you all, but I dont write in my bible.

Gasp!

I couldnt write in my college textbooks either. I cant bring myself to mark up any book. However, like the others, I dont think it is wrong to mark up your bible with notes.

I don't write in mine either...I'm a neat freak....but...

I use those tiny post-its...about a half inch wide, inch and half long.....I note the scripture and a short description...it works for me.

But I don't see any problem with writing within the book itself....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

My Preach always says, "If you can't write in your Bible put it on a shelf and get one that you can write in". That's how strongly he felt about the importanence of note taking. He tought us that the Bible is our manual to life. However, I have had a new pastor teach me that it is Holy and deserve to be respected as such.

Hey Tye,

I also write and highlight in my bible and it is alwasy interesting to me to come back even a few months later to a passage and remember "hey, that's right".. the Lord has really shown me to some things through this.

However, if I am following right, do you have a new pastor right now at your church or what? if that is so, you might want to try talking to your pastor about this.... If there is anything I know, differences between and old pastor and a new pastor can be interesting... Our youth pastor has been here for a little over a year now, so if it is a new pastor, I'd say take it up with him or something... or maybe this might not be neccessary.. either way, pray about it and I'll pray abotu it too...

God has the answer to every question!

Crystal

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Heh, I don't like to write in mine, for fear of marking it up too much to the point that it's messy. I hope that's just because I'm a neat freak, but I don't really like writing in textbooks either. It's kind of something I have to remind myself I can do every time I highlight something but it's helped since I've been in college. I guess with writing notes in your Bible you could go back and see what you were thinking at the time that you wrote it and maybe the second go around you've learned or discovered something new? I keep my notations in a separate notebook, but I imagine doing it in the Bible is somewhat easier since I come across certain verses again and again. It's just those pages in the Bible are so thin and rather delicate. I fear tearing them. I hate that. :thumbs_down::b:

Guest shiloh357

Yellow - Salvation

Orange - Israel

I would suggest a wide margin Bible and the thinnest lead mechanical pencil you can find for note taking and underlining.

Write as much as you can. I have a bible cover that has a front pocket for my notebook and other stuff. I even have things taped to the inside flaps of my Bible.

I read somewhere that, "A Bible that is falling apart, usually belongs to someone who isn't."

shiloh, I like your system, but it isn't nearly enough colors. . . :thumbs_down:

One other thing I do, that I failed to mention is that I created somewhat a chainlink system. Next to each highlighted verse, I write the reference to the next verse to turn to in the "chain." This is especially helpful when relating the plan of salvation. I keep a small bible with me at all times cause you never know... It is not has highlighted and marked up as my regular bible, but I have the plan of salvation from both OT and NT outlined and highlighted in it.

Guest shiloh357

Yellow - Salvation

Orange - Israel

shiloh, I like your system, but it isn't nearly enough colors. . . :thumbs_down:

One other thing I do, that I failed to mention is that I created somewhat a chainlink system. Next to each highlighted verse, I write the reference to the next verse to turn to in the "chain." This is especially helpful when relating the plan of salvation. I keep a small bible with me at all times cause you never know... It is not has highlighted and marked up as my regular bible, but I have the plan of salvation from both OT and NT outlined and highlighted in it.

I'm sorry shiloh, the thing about not enough colors was just a very sad attempt at humor.

I don't know that I would have the patience to create my own 'chain reference' system. I have a couple of Thompson chain reference bibles that kind of serve the purpose.

Like you, I keep a very small NKJV in the car with a couple of different plan of salvation walk-throughs, like you said, because you never know. . . As well as scriptures for different points, because it's easy for me to remember what a scripture says, but it's not easy for me to remember where it is. . .

Oh, I thought the colors thing was funny!