• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  167
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Something I'm wondering about:

Do Christians continually sin? Certainly, sinning is not a Christian's occupation. We don't make a practice out of it, and, when we do sin, we feel convicted about it. Nevertheless, do we continually sin? There are some verses that suggest we might:

Romans 3:23 for fall have sinned and fall short of the glory of God

The tense of the verb for "fall" suggests that this is something that is continuing to happen.

1 John 1:8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Even as Christians we shouldn't say we have no sin, and we shouldn't say we have not sinned.

Certainly, we are all a work in progress. We are all at a point in our sanctification process that falls short of perfection. So, are we continually sinning? What about our ulterior motives? Can anyone here honestly claim they have overcome the sin of pride, for example?

Galatians 5:17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

Sin is falling short of the mark. Who here perfectly obeys Christ command "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."? If you lead an examined life, I suspect you will say that you could do much better at obeying this command than what you are actually doing.

Maybe we just sin every once in a while. Are Christians who are addicted to alchohol or cigarettes are not Christians because they are habitually sinning?

Just wondering.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

I would really like to know what Jesus means when he says "GO, AND SIN NO MORE"

because try as I might, I cannot accomplish it. I mean I lead a pretty "good" life in the physical, but my thoughts are often far from pure.

What is sin in todays world? Perhaps that is an even better question. Do we sin by wordly standards? Maybe not...but by God's standards we do

At least I do and by both standards

BFP

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

I never sin ever. Nor do I lie.

Christian(Dan) :huh:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

I never sin ever. Nor do I lie.

Christian(Dan) :huh:

lol :blink:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

because try as I might, I cannot accomplish it. I mean I lead a pretty "good" life in the physical, but my thoughts are often far from pure.

What is sin in todays world? Perhaps that is an even better question. Do we sin by wordly standards? Maybe not...but by God's standards we do

BFP

When Jesus told the woman to go and sin no more, I think He was telling her what the ideal should be.

It wouldn't have done any good to say "Go, and sin only on Fridays" or "Go, and try not to sin, except when you're really REALLY tempted." He set a standard of perfection because it's the only standard there should be.

Just one of the reasons I love Him so much.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  167

BFP

When Jesus told the woman to go and sin no more, I think He was telling her what the ideal should be.

It wouldn't have done any good to say "Go, and sin only on Fridays" or "Go, and try not to sin, except when you're really REALLY tempted." He set a standard of perfection because it's the only standard there should be.

Just one of the reasons I love Him so much.

I think Jesus was telling the woman not to commit adultery anymore. This isn't to say that commiting other sins is okay, but just that the sin of adultery is what was in view here.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

God does not ask of us that which HE is not able to make us able to do. HE has given to us the indwelling of The Holy Spirit, Whom also is GOD and Who is able to keep us from living lives of habitual sins as we follow with a resounding "YES" to Him in us. Ask The Holy Spirit in, welcome Him, listen to HIm, He will help you in what you need in amazing ways! HE is our help and healer AMEN :thumbsup:

I am not saying we will be perfect, for only GOd is GOOD AND PERFECT.

But, for sure I know the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is, in more ways than I could possibly put into words, my Helper.

Seek Him early in the morning, throughout your day into your night. Keep your lips warm with prayers and thanksgiving to the Lord.

elkie

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Not sinning is a standard we strive to achieve knowing that we won't be able to accomplish yet not using it as an excuse to sin.

As the above poster provided - all have sinned and come short yet

1Co 15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  232
  • Birthday:  01/22/1965

I sin every day, and that's why I am eternally thankful to be living under grace, and the imputed righteousness of Christ