irish

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have a question that I can not find an answer for. The forth commandment is to

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Originally, according to scripture, the believers met everyday, or at least many times, as opposed to one day a week. When it did settle down to weekly worship, it was done on Sunday as this was Resurrection Day.

Not all people believe in keeping a sabbath, though I do, and not all people believe in keeping it on Sunday, even if they worship on that day. (I do know of individuals who have private family worship and the abstanance of work on Sat and then worship as a group on Sunday.) this is a hot button issue in the body of Christ.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

Leonard has a link that is a good history on the change and why it happened..

perhaps if he is feeling better today he will pop in and share it again with us..

in the meantime I will look and see if I can find it for you...

and here is a link to another thread on the Sabbath Day

Originally, according to scripture, the believers met everyday, or at least many times, as opposed to one day a week. When it did settle down to weekly worship, it was done on Sunday as this was Resurrection Day.

Not all people believe in keeping a sabbath, though I do, and not all people believe in keeping it on Sunday, even if they worship on that day. (I do know of individuals who have private family worship and the abstanance of work on Sat and then worship as a group on Sunday.) this is a hot button issue in the body of Christ.

I agree that we should worship on a daily basis with or without fellowship; however the Sabbath was a special day devoted entirely to God at His request in the commandments.

Jesus did not ask us to change this Holy day. He even instructed us to keep the commandments, so why do we except this change.

Irish

PS I will check out the other thread, my apologies to the mods, feel free to merge them if you think it best!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

Moved from Outer Court Forum to Doctrinal Questions Forum

(edited by Moderator) I want to help: Read Hebrew 8 verse 7 is about about the old covenant which is the 10 commandments, ref:Deuteronomy 4 verse 13. The 10 commandments are the old covenant according that verse. The Sabbath is a covenant between God and the people of Israel. Please read Exodos 31 verses 16-18. You can also read Deuteronomy 5 verse 15; this verse gives the reason why the Israelites had to observe the Sabbath. I hope you are satisfied, and you will never condenm those who worship on sundays.

Sincerely, Pastor Laurent

Those are good examples why Israel is to keep the Sabbath. It is not my intent to condemn those that worship on Sundays. I just want to know why and when most Christian

• Group:  Soapbox - Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  02/11/1932

Gen 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Right from the beginning - and never changed!

Edited by Old Timer

Gen 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Right from the beginning - and never changed!

Exactly my point! So when and why and by what authority (the scriptures are the only authority we have) was it changed to the first day of the week? :24:

Yours in Christ

Irish

You will also NEVER find that the sabbath is commanded anywhere outside the Sinai Covenant. It is stretching things to link the sabbath command of the 10 commandments to the creation story. Adam and Eve sinned by disobeying God's command about the tree of Knowledge. Nowhere is it mentioned that the sabbath or any of the 10 commandments had ever been commanded of any patriach. It only becomes a command under the Sinai covenant which ENDED AT THE CROSS. Jesus is now our sabbath and Paul very clearly shows that any day (or ALL days) is fine. The change to sunday is shown in Acts too, as a series of references, showing the slow transistion as the church moved from being mostly Jewish to mostly Gentile.

I don't have time to look up all the references, but Hebrews 8:13 clearly states the Old covenant is obsolete and replaced by the New Covenant in Christ's Blood. We are no longer under the Sinai covenant, including the 10 Commandments. We are under Grace, not Law.

And I do realize this will probably set off a chain of counter postings trying to prove "Grace, but...", but it is by Grace ALONE that we are saved, justified and sanctified. It is Grace alone, not Grace AND something else.