OneAccord

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

Well to say Our Father and not say WHO ART IN HEAVEN leaves open other possibilities. If we say who art in heaven we are clarifying who we are really talking to. If we say our Father hallowed by they name we could be talking about anyone. But when we sat Our Father who art in Heaven then we are making it clear who we are calling too.

All praise They Ancient Of Days

Good one, Adstar. I guess, we certainly don't mean "Our Father, who art in Washington, D.C."! We better make it perfectly clear who we are invoking here! :laugh:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to post a comment about the Lord's Prayer as I am preparing some material for "Hallowed be Thy Name".

All the keywords in the Lord's Prayer touch on major Biblical themes: Father, Heaven, Hallowed (Holiness), Name, Kingdom, God's will, Trespasses (Sin), Temptation, Evil, Deliverance...........

It's like a condensed, concise version of very important prayer themes. Each part of the prayer telescopes out into huge topics.......

:laugh:

Dear God, our Father, who art in heaven:

I pray as we continue on with this study that You would continue to open our understanding that we might fully comprehend this prayer that You gave to Your disciples long ago. I pray that our hearts would burn within us as You open up these Scriptures to us. We thank You for Your precious Word that guides us into all truth. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

HALLOWED BE THY NAME

We can look at this scripture from a couple of different angles. This is the praise and worship segment of the Lord's Prayer. Or it can be a call to holiness for the church. Let's look at it both ways.

"Hallowed be Thy Name".

God, Your name is holy. You are holy.

Holy, holy, holy......

This is the song of praise that surrounds the throne of God. We have already peered into heaven by faith and seen the Father seated on His throne at the heart of the universe (Our Father, Who art in heaven) and now we can glimpse the ones all around His throne singing, "Holy, Holy, Holy".

When we speak this Scripture we are joining our voices to the heavenly chorus that we are given a picture of in Revelation 4&5. We become one with the ten thousands times ten thousand, and thousand of thousands (Rev 5:11).

God inhabits the praises of His people. In this picture in Revelation (and also in Isaiah 6:1-3) God is literally sitting on His throne (Rev 4:2) in the midst of a multitude praising His name, of every tribe and tongue and people and nation(Rev 5:9). And not only that but the whole of creation is praising Him! (Rev 5:13 And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying, "Blessing and honor and glory and power be to Him who sits on the throne......")

When we speak forth this praise unto Him we become one, united with this heavenly chorus. In Jesus' prayer for all believers in John 17:20-24 He prayed that all believers may be made perfect in one......and that they also whom He gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given me.....

Where else are Christians in absolute unity but in their praises to Him!!! And when we praise Him we come right up into His presence! We glorify Him, and He is glorified in us, we behld His glory in the best way that we can while we are still here on earth!

Jesusisgod2, I pray this speaks to you, brother, as you had that mighty vision recently of the angels all around in your church as the people came together in oneaccord in praises to Him.

So we have called out to Him (our Father!) and He has opened the heaven to hear our prayer (who art in heaven) and what else can we do next but praise Him for such a privilege as to come before His throne! Thank you, Jesus!

HALLOWED BE THY NAME (cont.)

Hallowed basically means:

Holy, blessed, sacred, sanctified, consecrated, separated from

that which is unholy, unclean or defiled (sin in all its ugly forms).

The Bible tells us throughout that God's glorious name is to be blessed, praised, exalted, magnified, glorified, rejoiced and exulted in, thanked, hallowed, feared, loved, remembered, proclaimed, declared, waited on, walked in, desired and sought after.

I think the intent of this scripture encompasses all of these things together.

The opposite reaction to hallow is to blaspheme, which is what the antichrist spirit does to God's name. To get a real clear picture of blasphemy, just look at all the words above and think of their opposites--blessed/cursed, praised/slandered, exalted/cast down, magnified/minimized, remembered/forgot, you get the idea.

The third commandment tells us "You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain". We are clearly to hallow His name. I think we have all expereinced how after being born again into His Spirit, we can no longer swear or curse using His name, and become very sensitive to it when others do.

THY NAME

A name is a personal identity:

God's name is His personal identity and when we hallow His name, we hallow Him, simple as that. If someone says something about you when you are not present, even though you cannot hear them, they have still blessed or cursed you.

The Bible is full of names for God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit that give us revelation into their character. Each one of these is precious to us.

A name is a reputation:

God's reputation is carried in His holy name. His name also carries authority based on His reputation. When we do something in His name, we better be serious and not careless or frivolous. I'm going to elaborate on this one later, since by calling ourselves Christians we are living our lives in His name, and therefore we must hallow His name by walking in holiness.

A name is a memorial:

We all pray that our names will be written in the Book of Life, not blotted out forever and ever. We want God to know us and remember us when we appear before Him. Well He wants the same of us. He wants us to remember Him. Abraham, Noah, Jacob and others left stone monuments to His name to remember Him, and to be sure His people did not forget Him. Building these altars was much like hallowing His name.

In Jeremiah 23:27 we see God speaking against the false prophets "who try to make My people forget My name...as their fathers forgot My name for Baal."

His name is a memorial, to be remembered. To forget His name is to become prey to Baal/Satan. To invoke other names is spiritual adultery.

I'm running out of time today, but would like to continue with "Hallowed be thy name" because there is another very inportant aspect of this scripture to touch upon before we move on. I mentioned it above---that as Christians bearing His name, we are to hallow it by walking in holiness. I'll post on this as soon as I can.

I pray this study is blessing to all who read it, and that you will never be able to pray this prayer redundantly again, that it would carry you right to His throne when you use it.

Peace and grace to all the saints who visit this thread.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/03/1958

Hi OneAccord,

That is very powerful and edifying. I am going to go through and read it again as a matter of fact.

I believe the one who had the vision of the angels was Jesussaves though, same Jesus just a different function expressed :shocked:

I do have a vision in my heart of great revival within the walls of my church and reaching out to the good city of Lockport Illinois.

Out Pastor is on fire, I get fed my the members and the preaching, God is active and it is growing, both spiritually and in attendance. But something is happenening there lately that beyond words, The Spirit of God is heavy and His presense is very keen.

Revival starts with God and then an individual and then to many and man can I notice it spreading Praise God. Men dont call revival God does.

And as in the wonderful study you have started has pointed out, this happens when we come in the presense of a Holy God and in one accord give praises unto our God.

I would like to give the definition out of the dictionary of hallowed

1) Sanctified; consecrated

2) Highly Venerated

Venerated

1) To regard with respect, reverence, or heartfelt deference

deference

1) Submission or courteous yielding to the opinion, wishes, or judgement of another

consecrated

1) given over exclusively to a single use or purpose: dedicated, devoted, hallowed, sacred

Sanctified

1) to set apart for sacred use; consecrate

2) to make holy; purify

3) to give religous sanction to, as with an oath or vow

4) To give social or moral sanction to

5) To make productive of holiness or spiritual blessing

Notice all these definitions relating to hallowed are actions, which are on the part of God as well as on part, I should say especially on our part

Our heavenly Father who art in heaven hallowed be Thy Name

Thy name is set apart as holy, as moral, as sacred, as pure, and as social (approacable)

I want to thank you for starting this very edifying and blessed study, I have already been very much enlightened by it and cant wait till the next response from among the body of believers here.

in a little while,I myself wont be able to post until monday, but this will give me time to meditate on what has already been said.

God bless you OneAccord,

In Jesus

Kevin

I believe the one who had the vision of the angels was Jesussaves though, same Jesus just a different function expressed :wacko:

Oh, I apologize, I guess it was Jesusislord. The vision was posted on the "Absolutely Positive" forum, titled "I saw angels last Sunday".

See you Monday, have a nice weekend!!! :shocked:

HALLOWED BE THY NAME (cont.)

We have seen that "Hallowed be Thy name" is a praise and aknowledgement of God's holiness. But it is also a call to holiness for His church.

1 Peter 1:15,16 But as He Who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, "You shall therefore be holy, for I am holy (Lev 11:15)"

We hallow God's name by conducting ourselves in holiness. This is a call for each one of us as individuals, but as we have seen, this prayer is a corporate prayer, we pray this prayer for the entire church body.

We walk in this world in His name. We are representatives, ambassadors of the Lord, bearing His name here on earth. It is no small thing to carry the Lord's name, and to live our lives in His name.

In Deut 28:9,10 it says "The Lord will establish you as a holy people to Himself, just as He has sworn to you, if you keep the commandments of the Lord your God and walk in His ways. Then all peoples of the earth shall see that you are called by the name of the Lord...."

In John 17:21, Jesus prays to the Father "that they may all be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me."

The holiness of the church is a witness and testimony to the Lord. We hallow His name by walking in holiness.

Another way to blaspheme the Lord's name is to conduct ourselves as professing Christians in immorality, in sin. Paul was extremely concerned about the Corinthian church for this reason when the issue of sexual immorality of one of the members arose.

When David committed His infamous sin with Bathsheba, God confronted him fiercely through the mouth of Nathan the prophet, saying:

2 Samuel 12:14 However because by this deed you have given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme.......

When we sin under His name, which we bear always as Christians, we give the enemy occasion to blaspheme.

We may not be blaspheming God's name directly ourselves but we are causing it to be blasphemed by others by our behaviour. We see this again in Titus 2:5 where the older women are being taught to admonish the younger women to holiness---to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands that the word of God may not be blasphemed.

Do you see how important this cry is "Hallowed be Thy name!"?

We are to be a royal priesthood, a holy nation (1 Peter 2:9). Aaron was instructed to wear a plate of pure gold on his turban engraven with the words: HOLINESS TO THE LORD. All of us as an assembly of royal priests should have these words engraven on our hearts.

Hallowed be Thy name. Oh, that Your name would be hallowed by Your people. Help us to bring glory to Your name by walking in holiness as brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, that the world may believe..........

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

Hallowed be Thy name:

His name is holy...His name is all things to us.

The Great I AM

El Shadi

Jehovah Jirah

Jehovah Nesse

The Alpha and the Omega...

His name is Love, Life, Light and Lord.

A name to be reverenced as we see in the ten commandments...thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

Dear Lord:

I pray for Your abiding presence as we continue with this study of this mighty prayer! Your word is in my heart like a burning fire, shut up in my bones, I weary of holding it back!

I pray You would send it forth in power into the hearts of those prepared to recieve it, for edification and strength.

May the power latent in this prayer be revealed to all with ears to hear.

In Jesus' precious and holy name, I pray this.

THY KINGDOM COME

This is the ultimate heartcry of every Christian!!! Even so, come Lord Jesus!!!!! Maranatha!!!!!!!!!

As Christians we are essentially 'doing time' until He comes, waiting on God. All of creation is waiting with us!....Roman 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God."

The coming of the Kingdom will be the final and ultimate revelation of His glory. How we long for that Day, the sound of the trumpet, and the brightness of His coming!

The coming Kingdom will be the ultimate fulfillment of God's will, which is the next part of this amazingly powerful prayer (Thy will be done...). All of creation is moving towards this culminating point in God's great glorious plan for the restoration and reconciliation of all things unto Himself.

Here on earth it is all vanity under the sun. Eccl 1:2Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, vanity of vanities, all is vanity. The temporal is passing, but a vapor, yet our true and blessed hope and future is only in the eternal soon-coming Kingdom of God.

When we cry out "Thy Kingdom Come!" not only are we calling for our Jesus to come, but we are crying out for justice, for righteousness, for peace which will only come in all truth when He does, Faithful and True.

We look around us now at the injustices, the suffering, the filth and perversion and ungodliness of the world, the deceitful and desparately wicked heart of man (Jer 17:9), and what else can we say but "Thy Kingdom Come!" The coming Kingdom is the only real and lasting peace we can ever hope for.

"Thy Kingdom Come" is about faith. The same faith it takes to believe on Jesus as Lord of our lives is the faith that we need to believe also in the coming Kingdom.

What faith do unbelievers have in the Kingdom? Can an unbeliever pray "Thy Kingdom Come" with any conviction? It takes faith to speak these words and put our trust in them.

"Thy Kingdom Come" is about allegiance. We are not to pledge our allegiance to the earthly nations. We are called to be citizens of a heavenly country, where God has prepared a city for us(Hebrews 11:16). Here in the world we are strangers and pilgrims (Hebrews 11:13). When we pray "Thy Kingdom Come", we are longing for our true home. We are reminded of our heavenly home, and our King.

In Isaiah 33:17 we are assured that "Your eyes will see the King in His beauty; they will see the land that is very far off."

Thy Kingdom Come!!!!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  270
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Very nicely done you all.

One Accord, this is what I had been hoping for with the Matthew threads.

I do so wish that I had not had to go back on the road and miss participating in this study.

But I will definitely not miss reading it.