Emily~Anne

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

I have heard a million and one reasons for why we should dress goth/punk/immodest for church, now I'd like to hear some reasons for why even bother to look nice when we go to God's house?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Many people wear a shirt and tie / nice dress and blouse to work 5 days out of the week for their employer's sake. What are we saying when we can't at least do the same for the Lord's sake?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

Oy, you are totally misrepresenting my position. I'm not saying that we SHOULd dress goth/punk/whatever, but that it's not necessary to dress in your best. Dressing immodestly is problematic because it could cause another to stumble, something we should not do.

Our culture tells us that we are to dress nicely for church in respect for God, but I doubt he cares what we're wearing, as you said yourself, it is about the condition of the heart.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  448
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  04/10/1981

Many people wear a shirt and tie / nice dress and blouse to work 5 days out of the week for their employer's sake. What are we saying when we can't at least do the same for the Lord's sake?

That God and Christians are not concerned with outward appearances like the rest of the world is?

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

i know some people that wear nothing but shorts.... Yes, Year Round... for church they do wear nice shorts, and usually a polo style shirt......

i know some that wear coat and tie every day of the week, yes, even saterdays when they are mowing the yard they will have a tie on..... sheeesh......

some i know, wear only coat and tie for special occasions....

I wear slacks and a button up shirt almost all the time to church, some times will put on a Christian Tee for an evening service or for VBS..... but mostly wear comfy slacks and button up.....

it is very awkward for me to kneel in a suit.......

i prefer not to see tanks, short shorts, short skirts, low riders, skivies, lingurie (as outer clothing or showing)....

the way i see it, if a person has to continually adjust their clothing to keep something from showing, they should not be wearing it.....

shorts? well, ok, not a problem but wear them long enough not to cause people to be staring where they need not be staring...... skirts? same way..... shirts? male and female both need to ensure there is nothing to be seen, men do not need to show off their hairless chest, or show that they have a rug under their shirts..... shoes? if you are a chaser, shoes that are comfortable to do a lot of walking in would be apropriate, such as tennis shoes that look dressy is what i wear, they are all black, including the sole, and look like dress shoes... i can even run in them and move quickly (and quietly as not to be disruptive)

tie???????/

well, when i was a kid, we were all taught not to tie things around our necks.... then when i became a man, people are saying i am suppose to tie something around my neck????? FORGET IT I dont do the tie thing... .sorry, if that means i will not be an usher, then so be it, if that means i will not be a deacon, so be it..... now, if the Holy Spirit says to put the tie on, then i will put it on, but until then.... i just dont do the tie thing...... (might consider the fakey clip on later).....

dresses? well, my wife likes long dresses for church, warm ones in the winter, and light ones in the summer.... sandles in the summer, closed toe in the winter for shoes..... tops? well, she has a hard time finding ones she likes.... almost everything she can find that looks nice has a neck line that she hates..... so she gets tops with the smalles neck line she can find and then gets coloured Tee shirts to wear under it.... even then she is peticular about the necks of the tops.... she believes that too much attention is focused where it should not be......

if the clothing causes some one to look else where when you are talking with them, instead of looking you in the eye, best to reconsider the clothing styles.....

mike

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Define "nice".

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Define "nice".

:21::21::)

• Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Pasting from another website:

"Perhaps right now some of you are thinking,

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

That God and Christians are not concerned with outward appearances like the rest of the world is?

If that's the case, let's all go to church naked.

Not.

Christians are being watched and scrutinized every minute by those that would seek to tear down and destroy the faith.

For what purpose should we give them any more ammo?

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Who decides what is nice?

My hair is brushed, well most of the time.

My skin is covered, well the important parts at least.

My face and hands are clean.

I think I look nice.

But what, I'm not in a dress, so I don't glorify God?

I'm being disrespectful to God?

Explain to me what "nice" is.