• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1950

The New York Post has a good article by Ralph Peters today.

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/print....alph_peters.htm

This was a victory for decency in the world.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

I presume the following article is just "one of many" throughout the western world. I find it absolutely disgusting, disgusting that so many people must have a morbid fascination with death and revenge.

Can I expect that public executions will be the norm in a few years? And then we can all attend, bring our knitting and yell and jeer and work ourselves up into a frenzy over people being hanged. I guess it doesn't really matter to most, who it is that is hanged.

Then when Christians are publicly beheaded by the antichrist's government - no doubt a popular move, people will be well practised and know how to behave. Anyway:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/3915090a10.html

New Zealand television audiences may be able to witness the death of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein - if they are prepared to pay for it.

US cable news outlets CNN and Fox News - as well as major US broadcast networks, ABC, CBS and NBC - were last night debating whether to break a taboo on broadcasting executions.

The networks have said they will wait to see what images of yesterday's execution become available before deciding whether and how to use them. Late last night cable news networks showed images of the noose being put around Hussein's neck.

Iraqi authorities were reported as saying the execution had been videoed to forestall any conspiracy theories - but it was unclear whether those pictures would be broadcast or otherwise made public.

However, New Zealand networks are unlikely to air the footage, even if it does become publicly available. TVNZ's head of news, Bill Ralston, said he did not know whether the footage was likely to be released, but it was not something the state broadcaster would screen. "We feel that's some thing best left to the websites," he told the Sunday Star-Times.

TVNZ has previously broadcast events leading up to the execution of a hostage but cut before the actual death. "We don't feel it's appropriate to show the death of any individual." No one from TV3 was available for comment.

New Zealand media commentator Phil Wallington said the possibility that any net work could consider showing pictures of the execution was "a return to barbarism". He was disgusted by the decision of one commercial radio station to run a sweepstake about the time of the execution and by the flippant treatment in some overseas news papers. "It's more than stupid, it's absolutely offensive to human life. He was a monster but that's morally deficient."

The head of Canterbury University's School of Journalism, Jim Tully, said he believed New Zealand networks should have the choice whether or not to show the footage. "I believe in self- regulation rather than regulation from the outside ... but personally I cannot see any value in showing the hanging."

Some things that would be inappropriate for the 6pm news could conceivably be broadcast after 10pm. Increased competition between One News and TV3 News over the past five or six years had seen both networks increasingly "pushing the boundaries", he said. "They are always having to second-guess what they can get away with without provoking too many complaints, but competition is making people braver for fear of being scooped."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

buckthesystem

I find it absolutely disgusting, disgusting that so many people must have a morbid fascination with death and revenge.

As you condemn others, you show that your righteousness is certainly better than "so many people". However, as you swipe your wide brush of disgust, I wonder, where was this same brush when Saddam was murdering 1 1/2 million people?

If you had lost a father, or son, or mother, or daughter, or friend to his muderous rampage, perhaps you could understand why some rejoice not in that he is dead, but that his power to do such evil is over and done with.

Many lived in fear of their lives for almost their entire life because of him.

• Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

buckthesystem

I find it absolutely disgusting, disgusting that so many people must have a morbid fascination with death and revenge.

As you condemn others, you show that your righteousness is certainly better than "so many people". However, as you swipe your wide brush of disgust, I wonder, where was this same brush when Saddam was murdering 1 1/2 million people?

If you had lost a father, or son, or mother, or daughter, or friend to his muderous rampage, perhaps you could understand why some rejoice not in that he is dead, but that his power to do such evil is over and done with.

Many lived in fear of their lives for almost their entire life because of him.

I see your point Anothertraveller, but it seems that you are missing my point. I was decrying the fact that it is assumed that people would want to see footage of an execution. And I was questioning if "public hangings" are to be introduced again, when I read this article it conjured up images of films about the French revolution and women sitting there in front of the guillotine, doing their knitting and yelling out comments to the executioner and/or the victims, or images of films about medieval Europe and "a family outing" to watch a public hanging and commenting "I like a good hanging, I do".

This is totally aside from the deeds of the "hangee" (if there is such a word).

The article said: "US cable news outlets CNN and Fox News - as well as major US broadcast networks, ABC, CBS and NBC - were last night debating whether to break a taboo on broadcasting executions.

The networks have said they will wait to see what images of yesterday's execution become available before deciding whether and how to use them. Late last night cable news networks showed images of the noose being put around Hussein's neck.

Iraqi authorities were reported as saying the execution had been videoed to forestall any conspiracy theories - but it was unclear whether those pictures would be broadcast or otherwise made public."

I was just thinking "why? Why would anyone want to see something like this"? I think it is unfair to claim that this is "showing my righteousness is so much better than that of so many others". This is kind of like, if someone condemned you for anything at all, and you say "so you're saying that you're so much better than me, then?"

And as for: ".....I wonder, where was this same brush when Saddam was murdering 1 1/2 million people?" I can absolutely assure you that yes, the "brush" was there condemning his actions just as much as it is now. However, I know that revenge belongs to the Lord, not me.

Also, quote from the article: "...Iraqi authorities were reported as saying the execution had been videoed to forestall any conspiracy theories -......" I doubt very much if that will be the case as the only "conspiracy theory" I have heard is that the person hanged was not actually Saddam, but a "ringer". No video broadcast will put that one to rest.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

bump

• Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

This is totally aside from the deeds of the "hangee" (if there is such a word)

I see your point. Sorry

The reason this particular hanging needed to be broadcast in the USA is there are so many victims and their families that fled to the USA and now live here that needed to know for a certain (visually) that this person was dead.

I have also already heard the "ringer" hanging theory. I suspect that the people that were in charge of Saddam would have watched for a switch.

Sometimes I get a little stronger in my responses than I mean to be, thanks for your patient response.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,009
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  3

While I cannot imagine the death and destruction caused by Saddam, or the loss to many families and communities, I cannot celebrate someones death, no matter how bad a person they were.

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

One reason I would like to see public executions revived is that I believe it would serve as a deterent to criminals. Actually having someone hung or facing a firing squad in a public setting, and perhaps having footage shown on the nightly news would be a sobering thought for someone who was contemplating killing someone. I know there has been much debate over whether or not capitol punishment deters people from committing murder, and some claim it does not, but personally I believe that it would. It certainly doesn't stop some from going ahead and killing anyway or homocide would no longer take place in states that have capitol punishment, but I believe it does have some effect. Actually seeing executions take place would put the fear of God in some people.

Would it stop you from professing Christ? You need to look at the big picture. One day we as believers will be labelled as criminals and will need to be made an example of. :rolleyes:

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,928
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

The full video of his execution has now also been leaked onto the web.

Not for the faint-hearted, though

I hope the Lord saved him.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I posted this in the other thread, but it belongs here as well:

Psalm 82:2 - How long will you judge unjustly, And show partiality to the wicked?

Prov. 28:28 - When the wicked arise, men hide themselves; But when they perish, the righteous increase.

Prov. 11:10 - When it goes well with the righteous, the city rejoices; And when the wicked perish, there is jubilation.

Psalm 68:2 - As smoke is driven away, So drive them away; As wax melts before the fire, So let the wicked perish at the presence of God.

Psalm 58:10 - The righteous shall rejoice when he sees the vengeance; He shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked,

Psalm 59:5 - You therefore, O Lord God of hosts, the God of Israel, Awake to punish all the nations; Do not be merciful to any wicked transgressors.

Prov. 16:4 - The Lord has made all for Himself, Yes, even the wicked for the day of doom.

Prov. 18:5 - It is not good to show partiality to the wicked, Or to overthrow the righteous in judgment.

Prov. 20:26 - A wise king sifts out the wicked, And brings the threshing wheel over them.

-------------------------------------

Thought to ponder: How many people did Saddam send to Hell?