Marnie

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

The Vatican spokesman on Saturday denounced Saddam Hussein's execution as "tragic" and expressed worry it might fuel revenge and new violence.

The execution is "tragic and reason for sadness," the Rev. Federico Lombardi said, speaking in French on Vatican Radio's French-language news program.

In separate comments to the station's English program, Lombardi said that capital punishment cannot be justified "even when the person put to death is one guilty of great crimes," and he reiterated the Catholic Church's overall opposition to the death penalty.

Executing Saddam "is not a way to reconstruct justice" in Iraqi society, the spokesman said. "It might fuel the spirit of revenge and sew seeds of new violence."

Lombardi expressed the hope that leaders "do everything possible" so that "from this dramatic situation ways might open to reconciliation and peace."

In an interview published in an Italian daily earlier in the week, the Vatican's top prelate for justice issues, Cardinal Renato Martino, said executing Saddam would mean punishing "a crime with another crime."

Here it is.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1950

Well, we should never expect a biblical response from that organization.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/20/1959

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah, what would a bunch of Catholics know about the Bible ?!? I will never understand how such a large group here, that claim to be Christians, can use the word Catholic with such vitriol. The Catholic church is and always has been against the death penalty. While I personally do not share that view, there are Catholics that can make a very compelling argument for their belief. This is certainly no reason to start tearing down the Catholic church yet again.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

The Catholic church is and always has been against the death penalty.

Actually that's not true at all. The Roman Church didn't have a problem sending thousands of Protestants to their death during the Reformation. It apparantly didn't see anything wrong with unearthing the bones of William Tyndale, putting them on trial for sedition, and then burning them on a stake.

The Roman Church is still backpeddling from the "mistake" the pope made with regard to Muslims. Funny that that was one of the few things from the papacy that I agreed with!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Actually that's not true at all. The Roman Church didn't have a problem sending thousands of Protestants to their death during the Reformation. It apparantly didn't see anything wrong with unearthing the bones of William Tyndale, putting them on trial for sedition, and then burning them on a stake.

The Roman Church is still backpeddling from the "mistake" the pope made with regard to Muslims. Funny that that was one of the few things from the papacy that I agreed with!

:thumbsup:

Although I have no real hatred of the RCC, saying that they have always been against the death penalty is like saying Mohammad Ali has always been against boxing!

Anyone have a link to Foxe's Book of Martyrs? :thumbsup:

:clap:

t.

• Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

:thumbsup: There is a little thing called history that is in conflict with this statement. :thumbsup:

Here is a link to Foxe's Book of Martyrs...

http://www.ccel.org/f/foxe/martyrs/home.html

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/20/1959

Yes, of coarse you are all correct, I apologize. I should have limited my statement to recent history.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I'd be interested to hear the stand of other denoms regarding the death penalty.

F

PS. I've read "Foxe's Book of Martyrs"; keep in mind Protestants don't have a lilly white history either.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah, what would a bunch of Catholics know about the Bible ?!? I will never understand how such a large group here, that claim to be Christians, can use the word Catholic with such vitriol. The Catholic church is and always has been against the death penalty. While I personally do not share that view, there are Catholics that can make a very compelling argument for their belief. This is certainly no reason to start tearing down the Catholic church yet again.

I have nothing against the Catholic Church. However I have not heard one word about the victims of this monster, only that his execution was tragic. What about the children that lay in the street once he had them all killed? I wonder what the pope would say about that?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

I'd be interested to hear the stand of other denoms regarding the death penalty.

F

PS. I've read "Foxe's Book of Martyrs"; keep in mind Protestants don't have a lilly white history either.

Agreed! :thumbsup:

t.