• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,801
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

Unbelievable...

Parents Under Fire for Keeping Daughter a Child

Her name is Ashley X, and she is the little girl who will never grow up. Until New Year's Day, not even her first name was known. Ashley was a faceless case study, cited in a paper by two doctors at Seattle Children's Hospital as they outlined a treatment so radical that it brought with it allegations of "eugenics", of creating a 21st-century Frankenstein's monster, of maiming a child for the sake of convenience.

The reason for the controversy is this: three years ago, when Ashley began to display early signs of puberty, her parents instructed doctors to remove her uterus, appendix and still-forming breasts, then treat her with high doses of oestrogen to stunt her growth.

In other words, Ashley was sterilized and frozen in time, for ever to remain a child. She was only 6-years-old. Ashley, the daughter of two professionals in the Seattle area, never had much hope of a normal life.

Afflicted with a severe brain impairment known as static encephalopathy, she cannot walk, talk, keep her head up in bed, or even swallow food. Her parents argued that "keeping her small" was the best way to improve the quality of her life, not to make life more convenient for them.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/11/1976

this is so sad......

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

we have crossed so many ethical grounds already that stories like these have become common place in our "advanced" world. some of the reasons raised by the family for doing this seem valid. but then again, were do we draw the line?

nowadays anyone can do anything for anyreason. a tragic reality indeed.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  526
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  11/25/1965

That is so tragic :cool: Interfering with God's creations :wub:

But now she is completely dependant on her parents for the rest of her life, what happens when the parents die??

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Actually, it sounds like she was already not able to take care of herself due to her condition. It seems the parents thought it would be easier to care for her this way. I'm not saying it was justifiable, only I can understand why they would have taken such exptreme measures.

And yes, it is sad. :cool:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  1,801
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Yeah, she was already unable to care for herself. But to keep her small so that she doesn't get bedsores?! All you have to do is repostion a person and keep them clean and dry and they won't get bed sores and they also have special mattresses that help alleviate pressure as well. I'm just... uh!... can't even formulate words to express my disgust... I can understand if the parents thought they had Ashley's best interest involved and didn't know any better... but the doctors?! That I just can't fathom.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

I am not about to judge her family. My wife and I have been blessed with the most wonderful and healthy little boy that we could possibly have ever hoped for.

This little girl will forever have the mind of a small infant. A lot of people would have simply institutionalized her. Her parents are taking care of her themselves, this will be their job for the rest of their lives. That is a sacrifice that very few of will ever have to make. Who are we to judge them?