• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Rush used to joke about this.

BANGOR, Maine (AP) -- The Bangor City Council approved a measure Monday that prohibits people from smoking in vehicles when children are present.

When the law goes into effect next week, Bangor will become the first municipality in Maine to have such a law. Similar statewide measures have been adopted in Arkansas and Louisiana and are under consideration in several other states.

People who smoke with children present in the confined space of a car or truck might as well be deliberately trying to kill those children, said City Councilor Patricia Blanchette, who is a smoker.

"Let's step up to the plate and lead; our children are worth the fight," she said.

The ordinance, which was approved by a 6-3 vote, applies to any motor vehicles on any public roads within the city. Violators face fines of up to $50.

An amendment that was added Monday to the original proposal makes the violation a primary offense, rather than a secondary offense. That means police can pull over vehicles if they see somebody smoking with anybody under 18 in the vehicle; if it were a secondary offense, police would have to stop the vehicle for some other reason, such as speeding.

Several residents, doctors and representatives from the Bangor Region Chamber of Commerce and the Fusion Bangor development group spoke in favor of the ordinance.

Pediatrician Robert Holmberg said the evidence is "incontrovertible" that exposure to cigarette smoke causes medical disorders in children, including asthma, bronchitis, ear infections and heart disease.

"Children are the most in need of the protection by public policy, because they can't protect themselves," he said.

But the ordinance also had its critics.

Councilor Susan Hawes, who voted against the law, said the police department should devote its energy to more important issues. There's already too much government intervention in people's lives, she said.

Aaron Prill of Bangor told the council that the ordinance was a "feel- good option" that was not intended to protect children but rather to "moralize" against smokers. Most smokers have enough common sense not to smoke around children, he said.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

When I was a kid, my mom used to smoke in the car with me, with the windows rolled up. I can still remember how nauseous it made me. Children shouldn't have to pay for their parents' dumb choices. It shouldn't be legal to poison your children.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Therse smoking laws would all make sense if they outlawed the sale of tobbaco products. Otherwise they are only making a money grab through fines. If they really wanted people to not smoke, they would not allow the sale of tobbaco products.

• Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Therse smoking laws would all make sense if they outlawed the sale of tobbaco products. Otherwise they are only making a money grab through fines. If they really wanted people to not smoke, they would not allow the sale of tobbaco products.

They tried this with alcohol once, and it didn't work. It would be nice, tho.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

When I was a kid, my mom used to smoke in the car with me, with the windows rolled up. I can still remember how nauseous it made me. Children shouldn't have to pay for their parents' dumb choices. It shouldn't be legal to poison your children.

Exactly. I am about as big of a civil libertarian as one can get, and I see nothing wrong with this law. We have laws that say that small children should be in car seats. We have laws that say that children have to have their seat belt on even if they are in the back seat. What is the difference in that, and in smoking with a child in the car?

• Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I smoked in the car when my kids were young. Now I shudder at the thought that I did this. (I no longer smoke-35 years) I think the law is a good idea. The more people and especially kids can be kept from harmful substances, the better.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Totally ridiculous.

I wish law enforcement would go after illegals with the same zeal they seem to be using for tax paying Americans.

I guess the reason they can't enforce immigration laws is because they are so busy saving Americans from themselves.

I think it's a great idea. Do you have any idea how much it costs the taxpayer to treat these children for the smoke that have inhale. Both of my parents smoked when I was a kid. Then when I grew up and hit about 23 I started to smoke. I quit back in 1982 and will never pick up a cigarette again. I see young kids today smoking and want to shake them and ask them if they have any idea what they are doing. Kids should not have to pay the price with their health for the stupidy of their parents. I had problems with my lungs my whole life from the smoke. However that did not stop me from smoking. No this is a great law.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

I agree - I think it's a good step.

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

The shortsightedness of people never ceases to amaze me.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Content Count:  7,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

I deduce from your post that you are a smoker, Marnie? :emot-hug: