• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

My 10 year old granddaughter wanted me to come and listen to a song that is "so sad", called "Runaway Love". Apparently, it is a very popular song. I was shocked and appalled that something like this is even allowed on the radio for kids this age to hear.

It is about a 9 year old who is sexually abused by her step father, an 11 year old who is having sex with a 16 year old, gets pregnant, and him dumping her, and it seems the other one was a 10 year old who is physically abused, I don't remember for sure. They all want to "run away and never come back".

I was equally shocked to find that my daughter thinks it's ok for her to listen to this. She says it's ok to learn about such things to be able to protect themselves.

Aren't they going to see enough of this in real life to learn about it, than to have it glorified and someone making money from singing about it?

Opinions, anyone?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Sick, sick, sick..part of the end times mentality where good shall be considered bad and bad deemed good.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/18/1965

Sick, sick, sick..part of the end times mentality where good shall be considered bad and bad deemed good.

I had to block all MTV and MTV2 stations and other video channels so my son could not listen to the junk they play. He is only 11 and he does not need to hear that stuff.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I agree w/ you on that MTV is lame.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I was equally shocked to find that my daughter thinks it's ok for her to listen to this. She says it's ok to learn about such things to be able to protect themselves.

For starters, how much is she paying attention to the lyrics vs. enjoying the tune?

As for learning - what is she learning? How does the song teach her to protect herself? Run away? But run away to where? Are the streets any better? (Yeah, the sequel to the song ought to be the horrible things that happen to them out on the street - there's plenty of horror stories to choose from.)

All that song does is proclaim the evil that is going on - but it leaves you there.

May I suggest you teach your daughter to thank the Lord her life is not like that whenever she hears this song, and then pray for all those whose lives are like this?

Dear Lord, God of Life, Father of all, I thank You that for all the hardships of my homelife, they were not as horrible as those things this song proclaims. Thank You for Your hand of mercy! I lift before You those whose lives are like that, dear Lord, that You would intervene. Reach the parents, that they'd find a life in You so that they do not need to hurt others to fill their needs, but that they would love their children and step-children. Reach the children. Protect and bless them and fill them with Your grace and love. Teach them to cry out to You and save them Lord. Turn the ashes into beauty, Father. In Jesus' name. Thank-You, Lord for hearing this prayer!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Peter

17'These men are springs without water and mists driven by a storm. Blackest darkness is reserved for them. 18For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of sinful human nature, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error. 19They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  09/14/2006

I've heard the song before (I'm a teen and switch between Christian and secular radio stations). My take? It's a story getting more and more common today-- more sexual abuse and things. :wub: While the song addresses important issues, they air some stuff that's a little too mature. It's got a catchy tune, true, but the lyrics are not positive. I don't listen to the song.

I agree with micen2. It's not the best song, but it's not the worst (compare it to the sex-and-hate songs so prominent today). It tries to get a message out... they just do it in a not-so-great form. >_>

Songs like that, even if the meanings go over your granddaughter's head, aren't OK. When she's older and more mature, she may want to listen to KJ-52's "#1 Fan". It's got a very similar style. The basic outline of the song is the artist, KJ-52, gets an e-mail one day from a girl telling him that she's going to commit suicide. KJ emails her back, and she describes a physically and sexually abusive past (In Christian discretion, of course). It ends with him finding out that the girl indeed got help, and on a positive note. ^__^ Makes me thank the Lord every time I hear it!!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  05/06/1986

I hope I don't offend anyone, but I believe it is a songwriter's right to be able to express themselves in a song. The person/people who wrote this song are expressing themselves. Perhaps they are singing about themselves in the song. I generally believe that it's not a song (or TV show, or video game, etc) that causes a problem, but the way people interpret it or apply it to their own life. There's no way we should ignore the bad things in the world that that particular song talks about, so I don't think trying to shelter kids from it is the right way to go. As long as they're taught the right things about these issues they'll be fine.

Having said that, though, I haven't actually heard the song in question. Forgive me if I've said anything wrong.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I don't agree with your daughter. I would rather have those children learn other things, things that can be taught in Sunday School for instance.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

No, this type of thing isn't okay for kids to listen to.