Homelessness question?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I'm currently writing an assignment for my theology diploma and one of the concerns is homelessness. I led a house group to get a thick description or a wider perspective then my own. A member read out a poem about a little homeless girl who survived by eating out of rubbish bins and huddling by a viaduct to keep warm.

I asked one of the guys if he thinks a gay/lesbian couple ought to be able to adopt her to get her off the streets and he said an emphatic no.

I answered that if enough Christian couples were adopting homeless children then he may have a valid point but obviously they arn't!

He isn't the only Christian I know with this opinion, how widespread is it?

I'm wondering why I sometimes find the views of Christians so shocking when I am one!

I'm also finding that the more I study theology the more I have to keep my mough :emot-hug: when speaking with Christians because many are so highly strung that they fly off on a tangent if I suggest anything that they don't agree with.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Who could stop a couple like that? Unless we Christians step in and do it, I don't think anyone can stem the tide.

Who could stop a couple like that? Unless we Christians step in and do it, I don't think anyone can stem the tide.

Are you saying that they shouldn't adopt the child to save her from the streets?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

If the Christian you asked was not willing to take her in, (i understand to be a hypothetical situation) where is his position to say no. There is so much more trouble with the child staying homeless than being brought into a home of two lesbians. Is it wrong for lesbians to have compassion on a child. What is more damaging to a child placed in a godless home with a heterosexual couple with drug and alcohol issues or a home with a homosexual couple?

I agree, that if more Christian couples were adoping homeless children then that would be where the homeless child should go. But somewhere Christians have gotten away from caring for their neighbor.

I have two teenage children. I also have recently married after 16 years of being divorces. My husband has stated that he will not take in nor adopt any children needing a home :emot-hug: His heart is for abandond basset hounds.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

I think it would be better for a homeless child to live in the home of a homosexual couple (provided they can afford to look after them) then be out on the streets. Just because a child lives in the home of a homosexual does not mean they will turn out that way....and I dunno if it were me I'd choose a warm bed over the dirty streets anyday.

If Christians won't open their homes to these children, someone has to. And frankly I have a lot of respect for ANYONE who becomes a foster parent. It's not an easy job.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Are you saying that they shouldn't adopt the child to save her from the streets?

Adopt? Never.

SO STEP IN!!!

• Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

SO STEP IN!!!

You said it :emot-hug:

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,074
  • Content Per Day:  5.06
  • Days Won:  240
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

At the moment here in Britain this is a "hot " topic since the Catholic church who are involved in over 1/3rd of all adoptions have just been refused permission to reject adoption applications from homosexual would be adoptive parents

The whole system is loaded against teens in need of care as so many foster parents are being put into impossible situations ( as I know from several friends who used to be foster parents ) If they try to bring the teens up in the way they feel is right ie not going out into the trouble spots in towns not drinking and insiting on them following guidlines that they believe will be in the childs best interests ...yes even such rules as being home at a set time which is designed to keep them safe ....then the teen need only complain to the social worker ( and they are encouraged to do so ) and they are removed from the home after the foster parent is told that they have no rights to stop the teen from doing whatever they want

I live not far from a council home for teens, it has been shut down several times as the local residents have complained so much and with good reason as the girls are allowed to come and go at all hours of the night and it turns into little better than a brothel...and this with social workers supposedly in charge and looking out for as well as looking after these very vunerable young people .

My parents live next door to a lesbian couple who have a son ( one of the ladies gave birth to the child and the other acts as a parent as well ) He is the most charming , polite and well adjusted child I have ever come across .....He is now 18 years old and a very well loved and well adjusted young man who is a great help to many of the elderly people that live on the street and has never been in any trouble in his life unlike so many others around the area .

I know what my choice for a vunerable child would be .

• Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I guess I'm about to get slapped down, but......................ya'll would rather a child grow up unloved, hungry, dirty and afraid, than for them to have homosexual's as parents. Sorry, every child should be loved, wanted and taken care of, I don't care who is doing it, rather loving homosexual parents than none, or abusive, drug addled parents. Screaming about all the children that die because of abortion, but saying a child is better off in foster care (which is a travesty in itself) than with parents regardless of their sexual orientation reminds me of the verse in the Bible, where someone tells a person, go and don't be hungry, or cold, but does nothing to help them.