• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I think it's a good idea to feed the cat first. It only takes a few minutes. Then he's content so you can drink your cofee in peace.

I have dry food in a continuous feeder, so I don't have that problem. They get wet food as a treat sometimes. I've had cats all my life and I just read that cats will "graze" all day long, eating as many as 20 small meals. Then I did notice that my cats don't eat much at one time, but do eat often.

My mom did it best. Her cats got wet food in the morning and at night, and she left dry food out for in between.

Allowing my cats to "graze" all day long has created two fat cats. I have to portion out their food, a small amount of canned in the morning and some dry at night. Some cats eat more like dogs, continuing to eat till the food is gone then looking for more. I think my cats believe they are dogs.

That is a good point. My mom's cats went outside at night, so I'm sure they got plenty of exercise. Mine are indoor cats, and haven't got fat. I have a neutered cat I've been catsitting for for about a year, and she has gotten fat.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  198
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

I have two cats that I always leave dry food out for, but it's low in the morning and they want it refreshed. I give it to them first. How could I have my tea and muffin in peace if they're bugging me? I'd rather quiet them down.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

I feed the cats first...trying to enjoy a cup of coffee with them at my feet would be impossible... (or more accurately "in my hair") :laugh:

My older cat used to come pull the covers off of me to make me get up and feed him... :emot-hug:

I give them 1/3 can of canned cat food in the mornings and dry throughout the day...

I was just thinking ..isn't there a Scripture about how we are to care for our animals first somewhere??

When I get home I will have to look it up...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Compromise: Feed the cat while you're waiting for the coffee to be ready. It's more efficient anyway.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I say get a coffee pot thats on a timer, when you get up coffee is ready and you can fed cat, fix your coffee and you can have some peace and quiet while he's eating!

:emot-hug:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

I was just thinking ..isn't there a Scripture about how we are to care for our animals first somewhere??

When I get home I will have to look it up...

I think this is probably the verse you were thinking of:

Pro 12:10 A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I dont have a cat anymore but I do have a dog. We leave a bowl full of dry food that he grazes on all day. Its a special diet for canaines that lets him eat a little bit and fills him up quicker. He did put on weight, but it was weight that he needed. I think it has something to do with while he was an outside dog we fed him twice a day and then when we could bring him inside, he learned that the food was more readily available and not have to eat it gone before the squirrels tried sneaking his food.

Back to the cat; as others have said, feed the cat first and enjoy your coffee in peace.