IreneM

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

I cannot help but find it humorous. How come when we discuss TV and books so many come out adamantly against them...but when we discuss secular music many of you refuse to give it up.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Sorry, but you're preaching something else...and I'm not buyin into it. I believe God's Word, so do my kids. They live it. They believe Him, and trust Him, even when nobody else around them does. We are not buying into human philosophies, and we don't preach/religion, we live Christ Jesus, because we believe HIM by His Word.

Col. 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

We don't live by the principles of this world, we live by Christ Jesus.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

Sorry, but you're preaching something else...and I'm not buyin into it. I believe God's Word, so do my kids. They live it. They believe Him, and trust Him, even when nobody else around them does. We are not buying into human philosophies, and we don't preach/religion, we live Christ Jesus, because we believe HIM by His Word.

Col. 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Guard your heart with all dilligence, for out of it flows the issues of life!!!! chapter 4 of proverbs :noidea::o

In His Love,

Suzanne

Guard your heart with all dilligence, for out of it flows the issues of life!!!! chapter 4 of proverbs :noidea::o

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

:emot-highfive: from damo1

high i should have stated i limit what my son watches and what he plays on the x box and as a parent i had this fear we can educate them protect them while they are in our care at home but when they go into the real world they will hear what most have been saying from other kids

i am very open with my son he reads his bible he goes to church and he talks openly with me with what is going on today in the world many parents try to shield there kids to the point wear some ban them from having any contac with another child unless they are a christian

in my sons last school he got hurt very bad a boy beat him til he was knocked out my son is a gentle child as i did not want ethan turning out like i was or some of the younger kids i new his age

was it wrong for me to bring my child up this way as i did not want him to learn how to handle him self as he asked as i use to work as a bouncer my self and i worked also as a sercuirty gaurd and new how to handle my self as i did not have christian parents or was i then a christian when i was a bouncer in the clubs in sydney and working as a security gaurd

ethan is very bright and he is one of these gifted kids he stands up for those that are weak as i use to do this my self as i could not handle seeing some one that could not handle them selves being picked on this was one of my biggest fears as a parent

it took my son 3 months before he could step back into a school and trust other kids when i got the ph call and i was told what happened to ethan i could not stop crying i was angry and i blamed my self as i said i should have at least done one thing and that is teach my son who is only 12 how to handle him self around bullies

we see what violence does on tv we hear about it on news and we see this with our own eyes in the areas we live in us men see what filth is plastered in magazines on news stands and played in cinimas the filth degrades women and a young child introduced to this filth begins to think oh this is how i am to behave i did not allow any violent shows to be played in our home i get pg but even pg can be harsh i read before i higher anything from a video store

i can not offered to send my child to a christian school like most christians parents can afford he goes to a public school and how i wish i had a good paying job wear i can send my son to a chrisitan school yet i have even noticed christian kids can be mean i am not being judgmental and please do not attack me for being so open hear

so how are we as parents to protect our kids when this is goig to hit them in the real world the jehovah witness protect there kids some do not even believe in having a tv in there homes and the exclusive brethren are the same they exclude them selves from the real world

my x wife was a jehovah witness she could not have birthdays celebrate christmas and so on

the boy who hurt my son we did not charge him as i work close with troubled youth and the most violent ones and these kids show no respect to the law and have no common sence on acountability yet i have gained there trust

ethan is still gentle as i will not do what other parents do and he knows what to do when confronted in such a situation as he had confronted in his last school

i had to forgive the child who hurt my son and it was hard to do as i wanted to see his parents face me in court yet i left it to the school principal to deal with i even limit the secular music my son listens to and so does his mother as its filth and we play also chrisitan music when he as it his mothers place and when he is at my place on school holidays

i hope to hear how others handle this to what i have bought up as a parent my self and a christian

from damo1 damien

:24: from damo1

high i should have stated i limit what my son watches and what he plays on the x box and as a parent i had this fear we can educate them protect them while they are in our care at home but when they go into the real world they will hear what most have been saying from other kids

i am very open with my son he reads his bible he goes to church and he talks openly with me with what is going on today in the world many parents try to shield there kids to the point wear some ban them from having any contac with another child unless they are a christian

in my sons last school he got hurt very bad a boy beat him til he was knocked out my son is a gentle child as i did not want ethan turning out like i was or some of the younger kids i new his age

was it wrong for me to bring my child up this way as i did not want him to learn how to handle him self as he asked as i use to work as a bouncer my self and i worked also as a sercuirty gaurd and new how to handle my self as i did not have christian parents or was i then a christian when i was a bouncer in the clubs in sydney and working as a security gaurd

ethan is very bright and he is one of these gifted kids he stands up for those that are weak as i use to do this my self as i could not handle seeing some one that could not handle them selves being picked on this was one of my biggest fears as a parent

it took my son 3 months before he could step back into a school and trust other kids when i got the ph call and i was told what happened to ethan i could not stop crying i was angry and i blamed my self as i said i should have at least done one thing and that is teach my son who is only 12 how to handle him self around bullies

we see what violence does on tv we hear about it on news and we see this with our own eyes in the areas we live in us men see what filth is plastered in magazines on news stands and played in cinimas the filth degrades women and a young child introduced to this filth begins to think oh this is how i am to behave i did not allow any violent shows to be played in our home i get pg but even pg can be harsh i read before i higher anything from a video store

i can not offered to send my child to a christian school like most christians parents can afford he goes to a public school and how i wish i had a good paying job wear i can send my son to a chrisitan school yet i have even noticed christian kids can be mean i am not being judgmental and please do not attack me for being so open hear

so how are we as parents to protect our kids when this is goig to hit them in the real world the jehovah witness protect there kids some do not even believe in having a tv in there homes and the exclusive brethren are the same they exclude them selves from the real world

my x wife was a jehovah witness she could not have birthdays celebrate christmas and so on

the boy who hurt my son we did not charge him as i work close with troubled youth and the most violent ones and these kids show no respect to the law and have no common sence on acountability yet i have gained there trust

ethan is still gentle as i will not do what other parents do and he knows what to do when confronted in such a situation as he had confronted in his last school

i had to forgive the child who hurt my son and it was hard to do as i wanted to see his parents face me in court yet i left it to the school principal to deal with i even limit the secular music my son listens to and so does his mother as its filth and we play also chrisitan music when he as it his mothers place and when he is at my place on school holidays

i hope to hear how others handle this to what i have bought up as a parent my self and a christian

from damo1 damien

:emot-highfive: Hello there damo~~~~~ My daughter is very educated to what is going on in the world. They do need to know about the wiles of the enemy out there. If we do not teach them we are not doing our job. She is allowed to watch certain things I know other christians would not allow their children to watch. That is my decision and we always discuss things.. She knows also where to kick if she gets grabbed, and to punch the adams apple if need be.

When she gets old enough she will take some kind of marshal arts as well. I taught her not to also be afraid of anyone including teachers and adults. She is kind and gentle but a leader as well.

I have seen so much that happens to children who are sheltered from the reality of the world.

She knows how to pray and does know I am praying for her also. I teach her the armor of God and to go through the motions as if she is putting it on. She knows about good and evil...Jesus and demons

I am sorry about what happened to your son.. I had to pray over Emils heart one day, to remove the pain and rejection that someone had inflicted there.

You know he will suffer attacks not only becaise of who you are in Christ but also because who your son will be.

Adults make a mistake thinking that children do not get oppressed or are in Spiritual battles either. The same Holy Spirit that is in us is the same Holy Spirit in them. They have gifts as well. They are not encouraged like we are.

I believe in safeguarding my daughter from what I deam to be dangerous for her heart and soul to feast upon. She has no illusions about things. If i will not allow her to watch or do something I tell her why. It is evil and can hurt her insides that she does not see. Like eating candy as a diet..she'll eventually die without food. She gets mad but thinks about it and accepts it. She likes christian music...classical music..the blues and some secular music.

I also need to be careful..she is at that age where she does things just to irk me..so the less she knows about certain things the less buttons she will push. Your Son needs to know how to protect himself in the real world as well as spiritually. They practice what they see so make sure he is aware that you needed to forgive this kid.. Amen and Amen patricia1

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

:) from damo1

hello patricia1

thank you very much for what you shared and i am glad that i am not the only parent doing this as its good to hear this from another single parent as well

my son ethan has had counseling and is doing very well in his new school in toongabi new south wales he has some good close friends who look out for him and each other mixed races he has several south african friends nigerian friends and asian friends and they all keep together play together over the weekend as most do long distant running like my son ethan and the older boys make sure ethan does not go threw what he went threw in his old school i sort of also did teach ethan self defence his mother was not ok at first as she did not want ethan turning out like most of the kids in his old school but after what he had experienced she is working with me and allowing me to teach him basic self defence

as i talked to several christians who also talked on this subject hear in australia only last year we got together and had an honest and open talk on does god care what we watch

and most said the same as i shared you can not shield your kids forever and there has to come in each ones life what we do with the knowledge we have as parents and as christians living in a harsh world wear this is always hitting us

we sort of started a support group and other churches took the idea on and we are also talking openly hear in my town that i live in on this subject alone

as my pastor has kids and they are all very bright and caring kids and being a pastor it can be hard for the kids having a parent pastoring a church but my pastor has done a good job with his kids they go to a public high school and seem to be going well

ethan only uses what i taught him as a father to defend him self when nothing else works as i do not see in any wrong doing that for my child as i did not want him going threw this again he lives in a ruff area and its in the western suburbs in sydney and most kids his age know how to defend them selves no matter how protected they are at home under our care

and yes the same holy spirit that is in me is also in my child and i make sure he is covered in prayer every day as in the ministry i am i know the enemy loves to attack our kids

my other friend also went with this with his child he is a pastor and for a long time his son gave his father a hard time he went the other way to spite his parents no matter how hard they tried to bring in gods word and shield there child from what is watched from the comfort of our homes my friends son turned to drugs and from turning to drugs he got into crime and every day i use to pray with my friend in tears as i could see what it was doing to the family all the other kids wear christians going to church involved in the church except this one child i had to go out several nights late in the early hours of morning and bail this kid out of many sticky situations as i knew the crowd he was involved with and it would even brake my heart yet his father asked me to do this and report to him what comes back to me lucky he did not get involved into the heavy drugs like i was into like heroin and speed pot was his down fall and alcohol

i know others might shun at what i am saying hear but we need to keep this in the back of our minds he came good and ended up giving his life to god mind you it took time for this to happen as my friends kids even went to a public school and public high school no christian school like most kids go to

so thank you patricia1 for what you shared to me i appreciate this

from damo1 damien

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

:emot-shakehead: from damo1

hello patricia1

thank you very much for what you shared and i am glad that i am not the only parent doing this as its good to hear this from another single parent as well

my son ethan has had counseling and is doing very well in his new school in toongabi new south wales he has some good close friends who look out for him and each other mixed races he has several south african friends nigerian friends and asian friends and they all keep together play together over the weekend as most do long distant running like my son ethan and the older boys make sure ethan does not go threw what he went threw in his old school i sort of also did teach ethan self defence his mother was not ok at first as she did not want ethan turning out like most of the kids in his old school but after what he had experienced she is working with me and allowing me to teach him basic self defence

as i talked to several christians who also talked on this subject hear in australia only last year we got together and had an honest and open talk on does god care what we watch

and most said the same as i shared you can not shield your kids forever and there has to come in each ones life what we do with the knowledge we have as parents and as christians living in a harsh world wear this is always hitting us

we sort of started a support group and other churches took the idea on and we are also talking openly hear in my town that i live in on this subject alone

as my pastor has kids and they are all very bright and caring kids and being a pastor it can be hard for the kids having a parent pastoring a church but my pastor has done a good job with his kids they go to a public high school and seem to be going well

ethan only uses what i taught him as a father to defend him self when nothing else works as i do not see in any wrong doing that for my child as i did not want him going threw this again he lives in a ruff area and its in the western suburbs in sydney and most kids his age know how to defend them selves no matter how protected they are at home under our care

and yes the same holy spirit that is in me is also in my child and i make sure he is covered in prayer every day as in the ministry i am i know the enemy loves to attack our kids

my other friend also went with this with his child he is a pastor and for a long time his son gave his father a hard time he went the other way to spite his parents no matter how hard they tried to bring in gods word and shield there child from what is watched from the comfort of our homes my friends son turned to drugs and from turning to drugs he got into crime and every day i use to pray with my friend in tears as i could see what it was doing to the family all the other kids wear christians going to church involved in the church except this one child i had to go out several nights late in the early hours of morning and bail this kid out of many sticky situations as i knew the crowd he was involved with and it would even brake my heart yet his father asked me to do this and report to him what comes back to me lucky he did not get involved into the heavy drugs like i was into like heroin and speed pot was his down fall and alcohol

i know others might shun at what i am saying hear but we need to keep this in the back of our minds he came good and ended up giving his life to god mind you it took time for this to happen as my friends kids even went to a public school and public high school no christian school like most kids go to

so thank you patricia1 for what you shared to me i appreciate this

from damo1 damien

to damo1 and patricia1, In the world, but not of the world is a true description of our (Christian adult) condition. It is also a true description of what I want for my children, but it is not easy. Childcare is demanding enough, but then to add the dimension of encouraging a love of God makes the responsibility all the more daunting. In all arrogance my spouse and I birthed children, now in all humility we are trying to "do the best we can" to raise them. There are many published resources available, but I find that talking to other parents is most beneficial to me. I get the benefit of their education and experiences as well as my own. I pray for my children (perhaps not often enough) and they will occasionally pray beyond the level of rythming memorized prayers. As they get older I enocourage them to be more responsible for many things, including there own relationship with God. Thanks to both of you for sharing. As to the media content that I expose my children to... at our home it's very limited, but at friends and relatives homes there is a more liberal attitude. This I discuss with the children and, if necessary, with my friends and relatives. It is my experience that even most secular people respect a parent's perogative to protect their children from exposure to more mature, violent or other highly stimulating subjects.

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

That mindset is seemingly no different than parents who instruct their kids not to drink or smoke because it's bad for them, yet all the while the kids are watching the parents DO that very thing. It's hypocrisy at it's best/worst? So, if we are a generation watching filth, and then we say, "hey, but that's no good for kids to watch", what's the difference? If it's smut, it's smut. If it's immoral, it's immoral, so why have it? We can't tell our kids, "no you can't watch that, when we're watching smut", and expect them to understand THAT type of reasoning.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Define "smut." I mean....how many "damns" would you tolerate before deeming a program profane? How many "f-bombs" are acceptable to you? How much leg or cleavage would you deem "immoral?" How many bullets hitting a man is "too much" violence? It's all pretty relative. Back in the early 1960's, The Untouchables was considered the most violent program on TV by the PTA. In the late 1960's pressure from that same group got The Wild Wild West cancelled for the exact same reason. Now today, those are both pretty tame when compared to 24, for example. Following your logic, Suzanne, should we just NOT watch any TV at all? What about watching re-runs of The Brady Bunch; talk about harmless, right? What do you do with the Viagra commercial that pops up in between its segments? Or what about the racy perfume ads that sponsor Extreme Makeover (or whatever)? Arguing for or against popular culture is like putting up a tent in a hurricane.

I cannot help but find it humorous. How come when we discuss TV and books so many come out adamantly against them...but when we discuss secular music many of you refuse to give it up.

Yeah, that cracks me up too. We have a bunch of kids at church who attend a local Christian school. We pulled up next to a group of them in their car; they had a "We Follow Jesus" sticker on the bumper and something called "I Love Fat Butts" blaring away on the radio. :emot-shakehead: Something don't add up here.

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Arguing for or against popular culture is like putting up a tent in a hurricane.

And believing that God CAN PROVIDE STRENGTH and VICTORY EVEN FOR A TENT IN A HURRICANE, is a part of the Christian walk. This IS faith.

Matthew 7:24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.

In His Love,

Suzanne