IreneM

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I love the fact that on multiple threads and even throughout the Boards here, I post what essentially becomes the same thing, just worded differently...that has been proven correct by Scripture, my fellow believers, and my faith, and yet it gets passed over, or ignored altogether, nine times out of ten. Truth, even when it is Scripturally-based, is not subjective...Romans 10:9, for instance, cannot mean one thing "to you" and another "to me"...Scripture can never mean what it never meant...this is not a difficult concept to grasp; apparently, many just don't want to come to grips with the fact that their belief system is, perhaps for the first time, being questioned or challenged...

:mgfrog:

And I Iove it when people, however well intentioned, try and make the Bible say things it doesn't address by taking verses and misapplying them to bolster their opinions. Not that I am against opinions, mind you. Why are people so afraid to just say, "This is my opinion" and leave it at that? I mean, your opinion is just as valid as mine, and vice versa. Why are some of you so threatened by a person or persons who have an opinion different than yours? I see this all over Worthy. You know, some of us are actually free thinkers, who are grounded in the Scriptures, yet don't feel the need to rip verses out of context to prove you wrong or us right.

Still, we did take in inoccuous topic and generate 11 pages of discussion. That's worth something. :10:

It does make for a frustrating, if not humorous, moment or two. :mgfrog:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I love the fact that on multiple threads and even throughout the Boards here, I post what essentially becomes the same thing, just worded differently...that has been proven correct by Scripture, my fellow believers, and my faith, and yet it gets passed over, or ignored altogether, nine times out of ten. Truth, even when it is Scripturally-based, is not subjective...Romans 10:9, for instance, cannot mean one thing "to you" and another "to me"...Scripture can never mean what it never meant...this is not a difficult concept to grasp; apparently, many just don't want to come to grips with the fact that their belief system is, perhaps for the first time, being questioned or challenged...

:emot-wave:

And I Iove it when people, however well intentioned, try and make the Bible say things it doesn't address by taking verses and misapplying them to bolster their opinions. Not that I am against opinions, mind you. Why are people so afraid to just say, "This is my opinion" and leave it at that? I mean, your opinion is just as valid as mine, and vice versa. Why are some of you so threatened by a person or persons who have an opinion different than yours? I see this all over Worthy. You know, some of us are actually free thinkers, who are grounded in the Scriptures, yet don't feel the need to rip verses out of context to prove you wrong or us right.

Still, we did take in inoccuous topic and generate 11 pages of discussion. That's worth something. :emot-hug:

It does make for a frustrating, if not humorous, moment or two. :emot-hug:

:emot-wave:

Still, we did take in inoccuous topic and generate 11 pages of discussion. That's worth something. :emot-hug:

It does make for a frustrating, if not humorous, moment or two. :emot-hug:

Hiya Marnie,

Precisely Marnie that is "your opinion" that some have taken the Bible out of context. Your opinion Marnie, not theirs. :emot-hug:

By the way I am not trying to derail this thread but what has "I see this all over Worthy" got to do with this thread?? Perhaps you must take it up with the Moderators. Once again it is "your opinion" that "why are some of you so threatened by a person or persons who have an opinion different than yours" For I am certain many will tell you they are not threatened but you feel "they" are!

For instance I saw you were threatened by many who differed with you on your thread regarding Paula Whites divorce! Don't mean that in an unkind way Marnie but your husband came in and defended you!

Must say though I have thoroughly enjoyed this topic and just like you say every one's entitled to their opinion.

I try to live according to the Scriptures as a child of the living God. For me God's Word is the only TRUTH.

God bless

Estie

:emot-hug:

Hiya Marnie,

Precisely Marnie that is "your opinion" that some have taken the Bible out of context. Your opinion Marnie, not theirs. :emot-wave:

By the way I am not trying to derail this thread but what has "I see this all over Worthy" got to do with this thread?? Perhaps you must take it up with the Moderators. Once again it is "your opinion" that "why are some of you so threatened by a person or persons who have an opinion different than yours" For I am certain many will tell you they are not threatened but you feel "they" are!

For instance I saw you were threatened by many who differed with you on your thread regarding Paula Whites divorce! Don't mean that in an unkind way Marnie but your husband came in and defended you!

Must say though I have thoroughly enjoyed this topic and just like you say every one's entitled to their opinion.

I try to live according to the Scriptures as a child of the living God. For me God's Word is the only TRUTH.

God bless

Estie

:emot-hug:

In order of your post:

That is correct; what I expressed in this thread is my opinion. When anybody takes verses from the OT or the NT to defend their opinion that beleivers shouldn't watch TV, I'd say those verses are taken out of context, given TV wasn't invented until the early part of the 20th century, AD. However, while a verse may only have one, single interpreation (the author's), it may have a multitude of applications. It would be nice if people quoting verses would indicate that.

"All over Worthy" I see people taking verses out of their Biblical context to proof text an opinion. That does a real disservice both to G-d's Word and to the people reading it. You may not like my opinion, but you (the editorial "you") have no right to use Scripture inappropriately to defend your contrary opinion. That's just intellectually dishonest.

My opinion is that when anybody abuses Scripture simply to prove their own opinion, they are threatened because they don't think their opinion can withstand scrutiny. Who, after all, would argue with Scripture? Unless, of course, it's obvious it was misused.

As far as Mike defending me in another thread, well, bless his heart. What a good husband.

I, too, have enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek reparte of this thread. I am always curious to see how far simple post can be driven. And I am always fascinated at how emotional some folk can be over what is basically a disputable matter (a thorough understanding of that phrase is essential to see where I am coming from. cf. Romans 14:1-3).

My only quibble is that when expressing an opinion, people should state it is an opinion, and not the Gospel. This, of course, is something I have been guilty of in the past and am working to change that in my posts.

Again, who can argue with your last sentence? The Word of G-d is not negotiable.

Hiya Marnie,

That is "your opinion" that Scripture is used out of context. In my opinion I do not see that Dennis using Scripture "willynilly".

Anyhow, thanks to the OP I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. Great reading everyone's opinions.

God's Holy Word is the TRUTH. And His Word will stand forever. Amen.

God bless

Estie :noidea:

Hiya Marnie,

That is "your opinion" that Scripture is used out of context. In my opinion I do not see that Dennis using Scripture "willynilly".

Anyhow, thanks to the OP I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. Great reading everyone's opinions.

God bless

Estie :noidea:

Well, I wouldn't want to be charged with hijacking another thread, so I won't pursue the context of Phil. 4, for example. Which, is not my opinion. The context of a Scripture is not an opinion, it is what you read in the Word.

Hiya Marnie,

God bless

Estie :)

Well, I wouldn't want to be charged with hijacking another thread, so I won't pursue the context of Phil. 4, for example. Which, is not my opinion. The context of a Scripture is not an opinion, it is what you read in the Word.

Exactly :thumbsup::)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/07/1981

:whistling:

Still, we did take in inoccuous topic and generate 11 pages of discussion. That's worth something. :taped:

It does make for a frustrating, if not humorous, moment or two. :taped:

I'm not really sure why you quoted me here to write this as your reply, considering that's pretty much the point I was making to begin with...that being said, it's good to see that we agree! :taped:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

The issue isn't the TV or when it was invented or the Internet or any other invention of the world. It is the content, whether it is of the world or of God.

I know that this is a difficult point to grasp, but God's true children have been crucified to the world. They love the things of God, hunger for the things of God, can't get enough of the things of God, rejoice always in the things of God. They have been changed, all things have been made new and they seek after that which they enjoy. The things of the world do not satisfy them anymore. They are like childish toys that they put away for they have something infinitely better infinitely more satisfying.

Spiritual folk love the things of the Spirit, and find the things of the world extremely boring. You see this is real Christianity, and not just religious theory and empty belief. The 'new heart' pants after God and the things of God and finds its pleasure in them.

Those in the flesh have no concept of these things. Their religion is made up forms and rituals, not a living immersion in the love and enjoyment of God. This is not opinion, but the heart of Christianity and the testimony of Scripture.

God bless,

Dennis

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  700
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Amen to last post

I do believe that when we stand before God we will be held accountable

will not a man answer to God for lusting after half dressed women and please don't tell me that looking is not lusting

as a christian you should not even look and most of the women on tv now days are not properly dressed

women see a good looking man and something in there just goes ga ga I had a very modest christian lady tell me one day that a hollywood actor could put his shoes under her bed any time I was shocked to hear this from her and ask her why she said it she said she did not mean it but that he was handsome and that he makes her heat beat faster just looking at him

My husband does not like going to the beach any more because of the almost naked women walking around and he is not a prude he is a Godly man and knows that the temptation to look is too real for him

I will not watch Boston Legal any longer becuase I find the cross dresser offensive

what we put into our minds does affect us

The Word of God should be our guide not what the world thinks or what hollywood thinks

I don't wear shorts even if it is 95 out side it is not modest I not saying don't wear them Im saying for me it is not appropriate

we have become immune to the worldly things and hardened to the Godly things

We can take a stand and say "no it is not pleasing to my Lord' or we can be in the World and accept all that is in front of us

to those who read King that is your choice jusr as it is my choice not to watch movies that are suposed to be ok like the Narnia cronicals

or watch tv shows that go against the Word of God a cross dresser does that (Boston Legal)

I don't watch desperate housewives or most of the stuff on TV I watch local news I watch pbs I watch some nick at night but not most of it

I guess it is what the Lord covicts you of

We are all at differnt walks in our christian lives and I am not where you are and you are not where I am so I can not judge you nor you me on what we read or watch on tv or in movies But I do feel that it does mattter what we put in our minds as well as our bodies

In Christ

IreneM