• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

It is far better to be able to speak of what Christ has done for you than it is to speak out of an empty experience and speak only of what the Bible says. The Word of God is powerful and backs up experience, and we need to proclaim it, but we are walking testaments to the grace of God. Our experience in Christ is a candle to the world!

We are the leaders in this dark world..the light, the salt. We are responsible to experience Christ in all His fullness so we can be shining examples of His love and power to change lives.

I think experience is necessary! It's one's testimony--testimony that the Word of God is true and God's promises are available!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

Riley,

You never answered my question.

Why do you want to speak in tongues?

Why not ask for the gift of healing, or miracles, or teaching?

Why ask "Why"? It is a gift available to us from God so why not desire and seek after it? I want ALL of God that is available to me. Besides, why do you assume I don't seek after healing, miracles or teaching? If it is of God, I want it!

Hey seek after it, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened. Desire all gifts :(

A spiritual language is something I've prayed for in the past but never experienced. Anyone care to describe what it was like when you first spoke in tongues?

Well it was a week after I Gave my life to the Lord, I was reading 1st corinthians 12-14, And I prayed for the gift, a minuite later I felt the Holy Spirit, and I was trembling, then I was praying to the Lord in a language I didn't understand. I've had the gift for 4 years, and it really does help me to meditate on the Lord.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,176
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

A spiritual language is something I've prayed for in the past but never experienced. Anyone care to describe what it was like when you first spoke in tongues?

Riley, I can only give you my experience on a personal level: in the mid 1980's while on a specularly assignment for the company I work for; and being away from home a distance of about 1,400 miles; someone came into our back yard and was making all kinds of noise. It was 2:37 in the morning on a moonless night when my wife was awaken by this activity. Her being a fearless Chickasaw Indian and having no fear to the point of no common sense she arose from bed and started looking out the window to see what all the noise was about.

At this same time I was awaken from a sound sleep at 2:37AM and literally ejected into the floor flat on my face speaking in syllables that I could not understand....... I also was totally powerless to stop, along with being totally unable to get off my face. It lasted almost ten minutes; as it turned out the time that my wife was getting dressed to go outside and see what was going on.. (remember that lack of common sense sometimes)..... Just as she reached for the kitchen door handle she heard that voice in her head tell her to not do that...... understand that it is extremely unlike her to stop at the door.

My non English speech stopped after the ten minute or so interval and I knew that my family was in trouble and continued praying in English for about 20 minutes..... after I felt they were ok I checked with my wife and she told me of the timing being so exact by us both checking the clock.

Understand that I grew up being taught that tongues did not exist and I had no wish or even thought of being involved with it, so I don't mind telling you that as it started and for several minutes I was totally terrified of what was happening to me.

I will say that it has happened dealing with other people over the years who were in pearl in some way, and sometimes just driving down the road I can just sing sort of that makes me very happy.

So to all that read scripture and tell me that it isn't so........... you'll never convince me of that. You will also never convince me that my actions did not have some effect on what my wife was doing.

Praying in tongues is between me and the Spirit and has nothing to do with other people, very very few people even know that I am involved....

I could tell you of other intercessory stories, but they concern others and It is not my place to share their situations that needed help.

Is it necessary.... no it isn't, but it is. Can God handle the earth and all it's dealings without my help and interferance..... yep he surely can.... so why does he occasionally have me interfere in the spiritual lives of other people........ I don't have a clue, but I'm always available when it happens..... and it happened as late as yesterday.

Sam

Again, I say--it's not for any one of us to judge another's heart or motives. I do believe that if we seek after His gifts instead of (or more so) than we seek Him, then we will find ourselves disappointed. As I stated in my previous posting, God searched Solomon's heart before releasing the gift he sought. Had He found impure or selfish motives I believe God would have rejected Solomon's request. I seek after Him and after His gifts because His gifts are of Him. His gifts are what He uses to glorify Himself in us. Our primary concern out to be about that--allowing God's glory to shine through in our lives-not out of selfish ambition but so that nonbelievers will witness His Light in us and come to know Him. The gifts of God are also used to edify the body. There is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking after anything that is of God as long as our motives are pure and as I've said before, that is a judgment call only God stands qualified to make.

First of all, I already agreed with you that God alone has the authority to judge motives. Nowhere have I attempted to do so. Therefore it is a strawman (and irrelevant) to argue this point. Secondly, it isn't accurate to make a comparison between "the gift of tongues" and "wisdom". Here's a few reasons why:

1. Wisdom/knowledge is a virtue that we are all told to pursue. (too many verses to list)

2. Tongues is a gift that is only given to some. (1 Cor. 12:10, 30)

3. We are never told to seek tongues.

4. We are told that tongues (and other "gifts of the Spirit") are not as important as faith, hope and love ("fruits of the Spirit"). (1 Corinthians 13)

5. We are repeatedly warned not to seek anything (not even wisdom or necessities) as fervently as we seek Him and His Kingdom. (Prov. 1:7; Matt. 6:33).

6. Nothing God created is co-equal with God, and is therefore not worthy to receive equal focus. Even "good" things can become idols or obssessions.

Those are just a few, but in short...there is always an order. God and His glory are supreme, anything else is secondary. We must be careful not to become hedonistic. Our reward is found in the joy of knowing Him, not in the gifts He has to offer us. Our prayers should be focused on knowing and glorifying God and in seeking to let the joy of having a right relationship with Him be our reward. So many people want to quote Paul when praying to receive "gifts of the Spirit", but rarely do we hear believers quote him out of Philippians 3:10 when he says "I want to know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings". Are God's gifts good? Of course. Always. Should we appreciate them? Yes. Does this mean we should seek after them? No.

Your judgment of me is incorrect and unjustified.

How so? First of all, I didn't judge you. I pointed out that some of the things you claimed cannot be supported in Scripture. You need not take this personally.

The things that you state that can't be backed up with scripture (properly, as you say) very well can.

Okay, then can you provide them? Specifically, I'd like to see the verses which state that the gift of tongues enables us to communicate with God in a way we would not otherwise be able to. And any Scriptures where we are told to seek after gifts from God. Verses which tell us to "ask" and/or verses pertaining to virtues do not apply.

Based on your response, however, your interpretation of those scriptures would likely be different than my own and presenting them here would likely prove to be a futile exercise. That's really the way it should be--we should all be standing firm in our faith.

So should I assume you believe you are right and I am wrong? It's only a "futile exercise" to share differing views when one or both parties are unteachable or unwilling to learn. I'm willing to learn, are you? By the way, Scripture says that believers are to "sharpen" one another, help eachother to see the truth and to attempt unity. We are never encouraged to each believe what we want without testing it or listening to others. Standing firm in our faith means that we are able to defend it.

When we are wrong, the Spirit will guide us into all truth-if indeed truth is what we seek. And if we seek the truth, the truth shall set us free. Yes, I know that God sometimes uses others to teach us (or correct us if need be). When He does, my spirit bears witness with the Truth being presented.

The Holy Spirit is the Comforter who brings conviction to our hearts, guides us, seals us and opens our hearts/wills to the truth. In other words, His role is to speak to our soul, comforting us, convicting us and opening us up to the truth....He does not supernaturally give us divine revelation. The only way to accurately measure anything is against the Word (Scripture). Otherwise you just have multiple believers each suggesting different things and all claiming the Holy Spirit told them it's true. If it's true, it will be supported with Scripture that is rightly divided.

1 Corinthians 14:1 Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.

Lets look at how the word desire is used in this passage.

G2206

ζηλόω

zēloō

dzay-lo'-o

From G2205; to have warmth of feeling for or against: - affect, covet (earnestly), (have) desire, (move with) envy, be jealous over, (be) zealous (-ly affect).

So how are we not supposed to seek after spiritual gifts?

1 Corinthians 14:3-5

But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

1 Corinthians 14:12

12 Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel.

In is not written in the bible, that we should not be zealous for spiritual gifts.

Zealous

ZEALOUS, a. Zelus. Warmly engaged or ardent in the pursuit of an object.

It is written that we should be zealous "in pursuit of spiritual gifts.

Love is the most important.

All spiritual gifts are for edification, tongues without interpritation is for self edification, all gifts though are used to edify one another,

According to the bible, seek after God, seek after all he has to offer, spiritual gifts only come from God, it is ok, and we should seek after spiritual gifts, but for edification of others, and for the benifit of others, the gift of tongues, yes it is ok to Seek after.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  562
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

You know it is like a bumble bee, or so i have heard . It is imposible for a bumble bee to fly, I have looked at all the specs on the bumble bee there is no way it can fly> But an friend says .... i have seen them flying around.

I dont care what you think you have seen , i have the book right here and all the ins and outs of bumble bees and their supposed flight plans , and i tell you it cant be done..

Whats the loud buzz ? look up and see , i cant right now i am to busy trying to get it through your hard head that bumble bees cant fly.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

;)

Riley,

Why ask "Why"? It is a gift available to us from God so why not desire and seek after it? I want ALL of God that is available to me. Besides, why do you assume I don't seek after healing, miracles or teaching? If it is of God, I want it!

Hey seek after it, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened. Desire all gifts :(

:blink:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

;)

Riley,

:blink:

Amen and amen!

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Riley, I can only give you my experience on a personal level: in the mid 1980's while on a specularly assignment for the company I work for; and being away from home a distance of about 1,400 miles; someone came into our back yard and was making all kinds of noise. It was 2:37 in the morning on a moonless night when my wife was awaken by this activity. Her being a fearless Chickasaw Indian and having no fear to the point of no common sense she arose from bed and started looking out the window to see what all the noise was about.

At this same time I was awaken from a sound sleep at 2:37AM and literally ejected into the floor flat on my face speaking in syllables that I could not understand....... I also was totally powerless to stop, along with being totally unable to get off my face. It lasted almost ten minutes; as it turned out the time that my wife was getting dressed to go outside and see what was going on.. (remember that lack of common sense sometimes)..... Just as she reached for the kitchen door handle she heard that voice in her head tell her to not do that...... understand that it is extremely unlike her to stop at the door.

My non English speech stopped after the ten minute or so interval and I knew that my family was in trouble and continued praying in English for about 20 minutes..... after I felt they were ok I checked with my wife and she told me of the timing being so exact by us both checking the clock.

Understand that I grew up being taught that tongues did not exist and I had no wish or even thought of being involved with it, so I don't mind telling you that as it started and for several minutes I was totally terrified of what was happening to me.

I will say that it has happened dealing with other people over the years who were in pearl in some way, and sometimes just driving down the road I can just sing sort of that makes me very happy.

So to all that read scripture and tell me that it isn't so........... you'll never convince me of that. You will also never convince me that my actions did not have some effect on what my wife was doing.

Praying in tongues is between me and the Spirit and has nothing to do with other people, very very few people even know that I am involved....

I could tell you of other intercessory stories, but they concern others and It is not my place to share their situations that needed help.

Is it necessary.... no it isn't, but it is. Can God handle the earth and all it's dealings without my help and interferance..... yep he surely can.... so why does he occasionally have me interfere in the spiritual lives of other people........ I don't have a clue, but I'm always available when it happens..... and it happened as late as yesterday.

Sam

Thanks, Sam! I wasn't raised in a Christian home but my first experience in church too was with a denomination that believes that the gifts of the Spirit have ceased. I started my Christian journey out like a lot of people, searching the scriptures feverishly for all the knowledge of God I could obtain. This went on for some time (and continues today). Anyway, I began to come across scriptures that just didn't seem to line up with some of the teaching that I was receiving. I ignored this for a while--until a friend invited me to a Bible study being led by what many would consider a "Charismatic" teacher. It was through attending this study that it began to dawn on me that the reason for my confusion was this: Scripture isn't supposed to line up the teaching we receive. The teaching we receive should line up with scripture. Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at is that my backgound, analytical nature and quite possibly some lingering unbelief have made it difficult to obtain the H.S. baptism. The reason for my question here was simply to gain a little insight into what that experience is like and maybe gain understanding of anything else that might hinder my ability to receive this blessing. Bless you for your testimony-very encouraging and insightful! ;)

Riley

• Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

(edited by moderator) Meaningless non-syllables stranded together helter-skelter as though the rhythmic chantings of an African witch-doctor, has absolute ZIP verification in the settled Word of God. All biblical languages are known, understood, national, earthly dialects as evidenced by the Pentecostal classic Acts Chapter Two, Verses 8-11 passage in which all people heard the speaking in their very own earthly, national languages. Jehovah God understands fully all earth's dialects - He created them all - and He hears our prayers and praise in any earthly tongue even from the faintest heart. Even heaven's ANGELS spoke in known, understood, national & earthly tongues when they spoke in either Old or New Testaments. Even ANGELS! Does the Lord fail to guide, give direction to, and speak thru His ministering angel-servants to the sons of men on earth? Let not 'personal experience' be your only pillar. Underscore settled Truth as outlined in the Word "once delivered for all time" (Jude 1). Let ALL earth's languages be heard in magnifying Almighty God whether Anglais, Francais, Arabic, Espanol, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Mandarin, Cantonese, Russian, Sign, on into the night! AMEN & AMEN indeed!

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com