• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The whole point Iam makeing is that Iesus is neither a translation nor a transliteration. Its a meaningless greek word. But some do believe it means "son of zeus" or little zeus", but today is commonly accecpted as Yahshua's God given name.

I've been thinking about this.

My first question is where this "little Zeus" thing comes from. Is this something you heard somewhere but don't recall the source (this happens to me a lot)? Or what?

But I am thinking of something else with this, too. Now, I am not a languages expert, but based on what little I know, Iesus seems more of a Latin derivation (Indiana Jones 3: "There's no "J" in Latin."). Plus, Roman names, from the Latin language, often end in "us" (Marcus, Brucilius, Spartacus, Maximus).

Just more thinking.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

The whole point Iam makeing is that Iesus is neither a translation nor a transliteration.  Its a meaningless greek word.  But some do believe it means "son of zeus" or little zeus", but today is commonly accecpted as Yahshua's God given name.

My first question is where this "little Zeus" thing comes from. Is this something you heard somewhere but don't recall the source (this happens to me a lot)? Or what?

But I am thinking of something else with this, too. Now, I am not a languages expert, but based on what little I know, Iesus seems more of a Latin derivation (Indiana Jones 3: "There's no "J" in Latin."). Plus, Roman names, from the Latin language, often end in "us" (Marcus, Brucilius, Spartacus, Maximus).

Just more thinking.

I'm waiting to hear a little more about this too. Too many folks seem to be looking for a pagan origin behind every rock!

• Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

Greetings Ronald,

Uho!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

The whole point Iam makeing is that Iesus is neither a translation nor a transliteration.  Its a meaningless greek word.  But some do believe it means "son of zeus" or little zeus", but today is commonly accecpted as Yahshua's God given name.

Just more thinking.

Hi,

There are many sites the refute the origin of the word Iesus/Jesus. I have come across many articales that say the origin of the word iesus means "son of zeus or little zeus". And there are many sites that refute those claims and I am not saying that I agree or disagree. I can not prove it either way. The point I am making is if we know his true name the one given to him at birth by God, then why do we continue to use another name. His name transliterates just as given into Greek, Latin and English just as all of the other hebrew names of the bible.. His name is above all other names? So which is it: Iesus or Yahshua?

If they had to change Yahshua name then why didnt they change Yahshua/Joshua son of nuns name in the OT also????

Here are a few sites:

http://www.proclaimtheword.org/A-Name.html

http://www.biblical-life.com/swrc/Articles.../Jesus-Name.htm

There are many other sites but you can do the search.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  270
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

The whole point Iam makeing is that Iesus is neither a translation nor a transliteration.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  270
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Ronold,

Here is one site that might help.

http://www.geocities.com/Metzad/

Guest shiloh357

Names are NOT changed from one language to another. My given name is David. If I went to China, and introduced myself as David, I would expect to be called David, and not the Chinese "version" of David. If I went to Russa, France, Japan, or anywhere else, my name is still David.

Now other languages might have their version of a an english name, but that does not matter. Your name is your name. In Russia, their version of Greg, is Grezia. If Grezia came to my house, I would not call him Greg, I would call him Grezia.

Yeshua's name is Yeshua. It is not Jesus. That is just historical fact. I do not subscribe to the whole "Zeus" thing that has been posted. I have seen that stuff put out by the heretical Yahwist cults that claim that unless you pray using the name "Yahweh," your prayers are never heard. That is just wrong.

Now is it that big of a deal that we also refer to Him as Jesus? I do not think so, but we need to at least acknowledge what His real name is. I believe that people are saved if they pray to Yeshua or Jesus. He knows who they are talking to.

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings Shiloh,

Yeshua's name is Yeshua. It is not Jesus. That is just historical fact. I do not subscribe to the whole "Zeus" thing that has been posted. I have seen that stuff put out by the heretical Yahwist cults that claim that unless you pray using the name "Yahweh," your prayers are never heard. That is just wrong.

Now is it that big of a deal that we also refer to Him as Jesus? I do not think so, but we need to at least acknowledge what His real name is. I believe that people are saved if they pray to Yeshua or Jesus. He knows who they are talking to.

I will again pose this question TO YOU. From all that has been gathered so far from Bible historians, the NT was written primarily if not totally in Koine Greek. The oldest portion of NT scripture is from about 40-50 AD and it was in Greek. Also since the majority of the NT was written to non-Hebrew speaking gentiles, then the liklihood is that the "original" books were even more likely to have been written in Greek. What this means is that the Disciples used Iesus in their writings instead of Yeshua. Where does one get off telling us gentiles we must use the Hebrew Name Yeshua?

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Did Shiloh do this?

>>>Where does one get off telling us gentiles we must use the Hebrew Name Yeshua?

If I am reading the passage below correctly he said:

>>>Now is it that big of a deal that we also refer to Him as Jesus? I do not think so, but we need to at least acknowledge what His real name is. I believe that people are saved if they pray to Yeshua or Jesus. He knows who they are talking to.

(Sorry I am new here and don't know how to use the nifty quote thingy.)

Peace brethren,

Viki

Guest shiloh357

DadErnie

I will again pose this question TO YOU. From all that has been gathered so far from Bible historians, the NT was written primarily if not totally in Koine Greek. The oldest portion of NT scripture is from about 40-50 AD and it was in Greek. Also since the majority of the NT was written to non-Hebrew speaking gentiles, then the liklihood is that the "original" books were even more likely to have been written in Greek. What this means is that the Disciples used Iesus in their writings instead of Yeshua. Where does one get off telling us gentiles we must use the Hebrew Name Yeshua?

I NEVER said that anyone HAS to use the Name Yeshua. I do not see how you got that from me.

The fact that the Bible is written in Greek is of no issue regarding the use of one's name. While on Earth the Lord would have been called Yeshua by his disciples. He lived in that culture, and Mary and Joseph would have named Yeshua since the name means salvation. Like I said, it is no big deal if someone uses Jesus or Yeshua. I do not think that there is anything wrong with either. Jesus is not His given name, though. I do not know all of the particulars of how we got Jesus. It doesn't matter to me that much. Even though the books are written in Greek, they are trying to communicate Hebraic thought in a foreign language to a culture that is 180 degrees different than Hebrew culture.