IGNORED

Are we commanded to cut our hair or not?

KeilanS

I just can't imagine Jesus with a crew cut :24:

Christ may not have had a crew cut but Paul said what he said for a reason.

It meant something or he wouldn't have said it.

Think about it....read those first 16 verses in 1 Corin. 11.

There's a message there and whether you get it or not is up to you.

Again I will say that long hair on a man is not a sin....it's not. But think about what those first 16 verses are saying.

Don't let your vanity over ride the Spirit.

Guest shiloh357
The prohibition against rounding the corners of your head or beard was a pagan practice. It was not a prohibition on cutting one's hair short or shaving. On the other hand, it is clearly wrong according to Corinthians for a man to have long hair or a woman to have short hair. There is no contradiction.

By the way, I dissagree with A.K. if that is the position he holds. It does apply to everyone and was not simply a cultural thing. It was a shame then and still is.

It was me and not AK that was making that position and I am not wrong. The "short hair" issue was not commanded to the entire church, but only to the Corinthians.

Not everything written in every book was for every person. Nothing in the New Testament says it is wrong for men to have long hair. It was an issue for the Corinthians due to the practices of temple prostitutes/priestesses, and the fact that homosexuality was so rampant in their city. Corinth was the most immoral city in Greece.

One of the mistakes we make in reading Scripture, is that since we have the entire Bible, we tend forget that the first Christians didn't. These were letters written to specific people in specific cities. They were written to address issues specific to their individual needs and concerns. The different letters speak to the various challenges that each faced.

In Corinth, many of the questions Paul answered were in reference to how the Corinthians should relate to their former culture. People need to realize that the Corinthian believers were in a situation where the pressue to compromise was unbelievably strong. This was a congregation of former prostitutes and homosexuals as well as every other immoral flavor you can imagine. So, it is natural that the hair length would have been of special concern. The homosexual men would wear long, flowing hair made to look effiminate to attract other homosexual men. Paul's words need to be understand within that light.

Paul's issue is not the length of hair. For the Corinthian Christian men to wear their hair in an effiminate style would have been tempting to their fellow brothers in the faith who had come out of that lifestyle, and Paul was advising against it. Paul was not setting a dress-code of sorts.

Our modern culture sees short hair as more appropriate for men. We must not read our views into the New Testment.

Guest Biblicist

Ok Shiloh, I understand what you are saying. Paul wrote that letter to the church at Corinth because of the homosexuality and prostitution and their looks would confuse them with that type of lifestyle. I get that.

However. . .

Ecclesiasties 1:9-10 What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which one can say, "Look! This is something new"? It was here already, long ago; it was here before our time.

Both of those problems are just as prevelant today, and while I do not know how "gay" men look at other men, or whether or not long hair is attractive to them, :24: I do know that certain short hair styles on a single woman can be considered a sign of a homosexual relationship [i have a cousin who was once in this type of a relationship]. We are also told in God's word to "aviod the appearance of evil." Wouldn't having long hair on a man or short hair on a woman, causing another person to believe they are homosexual, be wrong?

Possibly we need to make the distinction between long hair & effeminate or short hair & masculine. For a man to wear his hair as a woman does, effeminate, or for a woman to wear her hair as a man does, masculine, is the issue. Not necessiarily the length. There are many short hair styles today that would look quiet effeminant on men, yet they are perfectly acceptable on women.

I would think that these verses would be just as relevant today since the situations are similar.

I do believe it is what is in your heart, and God judges the heart and not the outward appearance, but our actions are important too, we are admonished not to do things that would cause other's to stumble or "make Christ look bad" [for lack of a better phrase]. Therefore, I believe that if you feel strongly that God is telling you to cut your hair, or not cut it it is between God. BUT you must take into consideration ALL of scripture.

Bib

:P

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

'shiloh357'

Not everything written in every book was for every person.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is "profitable" for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (2 Timothy 3:16)

OC

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Shalom,

Silentprayer asked "how long is too long and how short is too short?"

I believe in the context of the Scriptures that too short of hair for a woman would be anything that looks masculine. The idea was to separate the men from the women and not have "unisex" hair styles and clothes. If your short hair is feminine and not "butch" or a particular man or lesbian hairstyle, the length is up to you.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/07/1964

If you are cutting your hair to gain righteousness then the cross of Christ will be made of none effect in your life but if your in a situation that you might be offending people and want to share the gospel, then your motive is fine.

I was at a certain nursing home to be a witness of the Lord and a little old lady walked up to me and said "are you a boy or a girl?"........now she knew I was male but my hair put up a stumbling block so I cut it short. No big deal!! When I was done with that mission I grew it back.

Gal 5:16So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Are you walking in the fruit of the Spirit? If so, then walk in the Spirit.........if the Lord would have you cut your hair then he will tell you.

I digg my long hair and my wife loves it..........but it's only hair. If your married, ask your wife. She might want you to keep it long for her or she might've wanted you to cut it for sometime.

The point of the scripture here is for us to Choose for ourselves and whatever we choose don't be contentious because no law has been given.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

The prohibition against rounding the corners of your head or beard was a pagan practice. It was not a prohibition on cutting one's hair short or shaving. On the other hand, it is clearly wrong according to Corinthians for a man to have long hair or a woman to have short hair. There is no contradiction.

By the way, I dissagree with A.K. if that is the position he holds. It does apply to everyone and was not simply a cultural thing. It was a shame then and still is.

It was me and not AK that was making that position and I am not wrong. The "short hair" issue was not commanded to the entire church, but only to the Corinthians.

youre justifying your position with history. i know what your saying because I have studied about the problems at Corinth however I wouldnt

justify my opinion saying that it's not for every person. God put it in the bible for a reason.

You are giving the bible limits due to time when it's supposed to be timeless.

Whenever you read the word "sword" do you not feel it means "weapons" for today because I dont think our armies fight with swords.

Do you replace the word "kings" with "leaders?" or do you tell others..."well this doesnt pertain unless you live in Enlgand...."

How do you determine what applies to us and not?

If you feel the Holy Spirit wrote something for them and not us then He could of lost the this Corinth letter and not let it

make it into the bible. You do know that 1st Cor is really a 2nd letter right?

I can't side with you on this one. I know what youre saying however when someone reads certain passages

you have to have faith that God is talking to YOU. ;)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

If your short hair is feminine and not "butch" or a particular man or lesbian hairstyle, the length is up to you.

I have a short, spiky hairstyle and it looks great on me--countless people tell me, even strangers stopping me in the street--and I am very feminine looking. I couldn't look "butch" if I tried!

God loves me the way I look!

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

youre justifying your position with history. i know what your saying because I have studied about the problems at Corinth however I wouldnt

justify my opinion saying that it's not for every person. God put it in the bible for a reason.

You are giving the bible limits due to time when it's supposed to be timeless.

Whenever you read the word "sword" do you not feel it means "weapons" for today because I dont think our armies fight with swords.

Do you replace the word "kings" with "leaders?" or do you tell others..."well this doesnt pertain unless you live in Enlgand...."

How do you determine what applies to us and not?

If you feel the Holy Spirit wrote something for them and not us then He could of lost the this Corinth letter and not let it

make it into the bible. You do know that 1st Cor is really a 2nd letter right?

I can't side with you on this one. I know what youre saying however when someone reads certain passages

you have to have faith that God is talking to YOU. ;)

If you read your Bible you know there are portions that are no longer relevant to us today, I mean do you need to know how to treat your slaves, or about eating meat that has been offered to idols????? Nooooooooooo it was just a letter, really. Taking a verse out of context of the who, what, when, where and how that it is written is the reason why there are so many denoms and cults out there today. The group who thinks you have to pick-up and play with snakes to have a valid worship service, is the first one that comes to mind.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

If you read your Bible you know there are portions that are no longer relevant to us today, I mean do you need to know how to treat your slaves, or about eating meat that has been offered to idols????? Nooooooooooo it was just a letter, really. Taking a verse out of context of the who, what, when, where and how that it is written is the reason why there are so many denoms and cults out there today. The group who thinks you have to pick-up and play with snakes to have a valid worship service, is the first one that comes to mind.

Shalom SP,

I'm sorry, I have to disagree here. You see, the "lessons" in the Bible are more than physical, they are spiritual. So yes, we DO need to know how to treat our slaves because this spiritual lesson teaches us how to relate to other people, our spouses, children, co-workers, employees, service-people etc.

And yes, we DO need to understand about meat being offered to idols and how to deal with that because there are so many other things that are along the same lines, such as music in the church, holy days with pagan roots, eating clean and unclean etc.

No, the Scriptures are much more than just a "letter", it is a blueprint for how we are to live and yes, everything is relevant and applicable on a spiritual level if we let the Holy Spirit show us.

2 Timothy 3

16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

17so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.