terter

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Recently I read where there is an increase in the number of pastors (or whatever the title is in your denomination) who are leaving the ministry. On Christian forums, I see where some are advised to see their pastor.

Just caused me to wonder - what should be a pastor's responsibilities? I know this will vary per person but just curious - particularly about the personal counseling aspect. Is counseling part of their training? I would think that the majority of a pastor's time could be spent counseling then. Just wondering how a minister can preach against xyz if they just spent 10 hours that week talking with several church members about it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

When my husband drags himself out of bed, he can give you the best answer, as he has been a pastor and counselor and is still in the ministry after 21 years. But, since you asked...IMO, in the 21st century the job of the pastor is the same as it was in the 1st century: preach and teach the Word, be there for the members of his congregation when they are sick or hurting in some way. He is not supposed to be a social butterfly,visiting all day and drinking his member's coffee. He is not being paid to play golf, eat out all day or attend various "ministerial" functions around town. The pastor is the shepherd of HIS congregation, he is being paid by his church, so his people need to know where to find him when they need him.

Now, every pastor will have different skills and different areas of ministry. Some will be the counselor, others not. Some will be great preachers, other great teachers. That's why when choosing a pastor, a board needs to take into consideration the needs of their congregation at that particular time and find the right pastor for where they are in their walk with the Lord.

I'll yeild the floor to my husband lol.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  07/25/1982

When my husband drags himself out of bed, he can give you the best answer, as he has been a pastor and counselor and is still in the ministry after 21 years. But, since you asked...IMO, in the 21st century the job of the pastor is the same as it was in the 1st century: preach and teach the Word, be there for the members of his congregation when they are sick or hurting in some way. He is not supposed to be a social butterfly,visiting all day and drinking his member's coffee. He is not being paid to play golf, eat out all day or attend various "ministerial" functions around town. The pastor is the shepherd of HIS congregation, he is being paid by his church, so his people need to know where to find him when they need him.

Now, every pastor will have different skills and different areas of ministry. Some will be the counselor, others not. Some will be great preachers, other great teachers. That's why when choosing a pastor, a board needs to take into consideration the needs of their congregation at that particular time and find the right pastor for where they are in their walk with the Lord.

I'll yeild the floor to my husband lol.

amen

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  281
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

very well said Marnie

A pastor should also know their own boundaries.

Every church comes with different needs based usually on the size of the congregation.

Although most pastors are not professional counselors some of then choose take on that role because its tradtion and that why knowing your boundries comes in to play.

Even though my I know my pastor could never meet all my needs and we treat them as free counselors because we can, however, when I share something with my pastor behind closed doors I like to think what I share in private stays in private.

Since he mostly likely can't help me I would hope that he could refer me to some kind of good christian counselor or support group whatever the case may be.

I heard that from a study a few years ago that an avaerage stay for a pastor at any given church is about 5 to 8 years. The reason for the short stay is there is hidden turmoil within the church which the pastor can not solve on his own and the members expect him to be a cure all.

Most Pastors ARE NOT (i say again) ARE NOT counslers...... most have not been to school to become a counsler, and have very little knowledge of how to be a "counsler"....... as far as mental status and such...

there are some that have studied to be counslers, but, there are so many area's that a person has to be careful about what they want counsled on.... some have actually specialized in NAME..... which is marriage counseling..... some have studied under other areas... some are actually licensed phyciatist.....

some are practicing and are not certified, or have not studied.... and this is leaving them open for trouple....

mike

Right on! There is a huge difference between "pastoral" counseling and "professional Christian" counseling. Most pastors should be able to direct a hurting person the parts of the Bible that will help them, but a real certified Christian counselor is able to do far more than that. A pastor who meddles in counseling can do great damage. I am not saying that a Christian counselor needs to be certified by the State or anything like that. There are a couple of really good credentialing agencies that screen, train and certify Christian counselors and provide continuing education and training as well as a "covering" for the people they certify. Both Mike and my pastor are members of the AACC. Although Mike is also licensed in Virginia as a therapist.

IMO every pastor should be professionally trained in counseling. My pastors have both been fully trained in counseling...and I would use them over any other counselor. They have and are helping me overcome many obstacles. That does NOT mean I would not use anyone else, it is just that I have a lot of stuff I don't like talking about and since they know it, I would rather talk to them about. I don't necessarily look at it as going to them for free, because both my husband and I are very good gift givers anyway to the ministry.

I do agree that many pastors are NOT equipped to deal with counseling on many issues, and therefore they should do the right thing and point their member in the right direction to someone who can help them. I will be studying also for counseling. Although that is not for a LONG way off. I have way too much stuff in my own life to overcome first...LOL...even though, there are certain areas where God has used me in the past to reach out to someone.

Guest Biblicist

I would not go to a church where the Pastor didn't consider one of his "jobs" as counselor to his flock.

Our Pastor, as well as several people in our church have been through the NANC Counceling seminars.

Pastor-Teacher's Role

Worlds view - Administrator, speaker, visitor, employee, (belongs exclusively to this church)

Biblical view - Preacher, Teacher, counselor, shepherd, equipper (belongs to the body; works primarilly with this assembly) 2Tim. 4:1-5

I would not go to a church where the Pastor didn't consider one of his "jobs" as counselor to his flock.

Our Pastor, as well as several people in our church have been through the NANC Counceling seminars.

Pastor-Teacher's Role

Worlds view - Administrator, speaker, visitor, employee, (belongs exclusively to this church)

Biblical view - Preacher, Teacher, counselor, shepherd, equipper (belongs to the body; works primarilly with this assembly) 2Tim. 4:1-5

I agree. My "meddling" comment was directed at the myriad of pastors with no training in that area.

Pastor-Teacher's Role

I agree. My "meddling" comment was directed at the myriad of pastors with no training in that area.

yeah...I got that about the third time I read through your comment...I was so tired I realized I was reading alot of the comments wrong... :thumbsup:

Guest lovinghim4ever

I believe that the care of a congregation is ultimately the responsibility of the Pastor.

After all, God did appoint the Pastor to be Shepherd of that particular flock.

However, I do understand that one person cannot do everything.

That's where the Elders come in to help care for the flock.

The flock also has a responsibility to care for the Shepherd,

but not at the expense of the flock; not in such a way

that the Shepherd is living it up while the people suffer.

There has to be balance or the flock will scatter.

I know that God wants us to grow, but I personally prefer a small church

to a large church. That way the Pastor is able to serve his congregation with

a more one-on-one personal touch.

No, there isn't anything wrong with a big church.

I just prefer a smaller church.

:th_praying::24::th_praying: