• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  448
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1981

That doesn't make any sense. First, you say you generally vote for Democrats because in your mind "they have a better overall platform than Republicans." Then you say "If Republicans were actually conservative I would vote for them more often." Though I agree Republicans are not conservative like they should be, they are much more conservative than Democrats. If you like the liberal platform of the Democrats, why would you be more inclined to vote for Republicans if they were further away from the platform you prefer?

I am not a die hard conservative so I hold many liberal values too. The conservative values I could support are fiscal responsibility, making fewer laws that pry into the private lives of citizens, and having more things controlled at the state and local levels. At this time I think the Democrats are more fiscally responsible than the Republicans (just look at Clinton's budget surplus and Bush's deficit). Republicans are more likely to not let citizens live in privacy (laws regarding sex, spying on people w/o warrants) and they intrude on state (gay marriage) and local (No Child Left Behind) issues. The Republicans at this time also do not uphold the many liberal values I hold like: transparent government, checks and balances in government, getting money and lobbying out of government, habeus corpus, a ban on torture, caring for the environment, healthcare, holding the nation to just war theory, the promotion of science, etc.

By the way, even though some Democrats voted for this ban, a clear majority in both the House and Senate voted against it. On the other hand, most Republicans voted for the ban. It is obvious that as a whole Democrats favor abortion on demand throughout the entire 9 months. Then there was a vote taken on whether or not Senators agreed with Roe vs Wade. Most Republicans took a stand against it, and nearly every Democrat agreed with the decision. When it comes to abortion, the choice is clear. Republicans are much more pro-life than Democrats.

This is true but I'm not a one issue man.

By the way, had Kerry been President and appointing judges to the Supreme Court, this ban would not have been upheld. Another reason why I am thankful Bush won.

And Kerry's appointees would probably give rulings that I am more inclined to agree with than Bush's appointees over the long haul.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  09/20/1947

Sorry to intrude on US matters but I don't believe this.....

The procedure at issue involves partially removing the fetus intact from a woman's uterus, then crushing or cutting its skull to complete the abortion.

:rolleyes:

gene, are you seriously doubting how the procedure occurs, or is your comment more one of 'shaking your head in amazement at something so barbaric'?

clarification

Sorry guy's I should have made myself clear - after looking up what the 'procedure' entailed I was shaking my head in horror and disgust.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  07/25/1982

Okay, the Supremes upheld the ban on the heinous "partial birth abortion" procedure. That story is here. What do members of our political parties say:

The Democrats have come out with these statements:

'Erosion of our constitutional rights'... Link.

'I strongly disagree'... Link.

'I could not disagree more strongly'... Link.

The Republicans have said this:

'I agree with it'... Link.

'A step forward'... Link.

'I'm very happy...' Link.

My question to all of you who have voted for or plan on voting for the Democrat party: How can you, as a born again Christian, vote for a party that would support such an evil act? Explain yourselves to me.

yes...Christians should vote republican...IMO

Guest Biblicist

I realize this is not an excuse and I am in no way trying to defend abortion, but it is a different way to look at it. I always think of these verses when I hear about this subject.

Ecclesiastes 4:1-3

1 Again, I observed all the oppression that takes place under the sun. I saw the tears of the oppressed, with no one to comfort them. The oppressors have great power, and their victims are helpless. 2 So I concluded that the dead are better off than the living. 3 But most fortunate of all are those who are not yet born. For they have not seen all the evil that is done under the sun.

As horrible as it is, God is still in control of the lives lost in abortion clinics. And I believe that; if they didn't enter glory upon death, Solomon would not say that babies were better off to never have been born. It is a hope. A promise.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/04/1970

Hon,

Let me explain a bit better. Yes God is a just God BUT and this is a bit BUT none of us are God and we are commanded to forgive our brother correct? I agree they should repent and turn away from evil, this is true. I also have great faith that they will, maby not today, maybe not tomorrow, but in the future all will see the Glory of the Lord and will wish for the rocks to fall on them in their repentance. Kinda like that stuff in Revelation ya know?

The thing is in my opinion, it all starts with Love. God is a God of Love too ya know, and what is his two greatest commandments? I will give you the second one. Love thy neighbour as thy self correct? The first one is to love the Lord.

Yes I know its hard to look at horrific things and think forgiving thoughts, this I know. Soon I will have to do a post on forgiveness so all will see how to get there from here.

...but we also must learn to be forgiving...

Respectfully, I disagree.

We are to forgive only when it is asked for and accompanied by repentance. There is no repentance if they continue to perform murderous acts.

God is forgiving and loving BUT He is also just. :rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

"The Democratic party is a party of no ideas.

The Republican party is a party of BAD ideas."

-Lewis Black

At least the Republican Party had it right on the issue of partial birth abortion.

By the way, why should I care what Lewis Black has to say? :rolleyes:

I was quoting a comedian to lighten the mood...I was not forcing you to bow down to him and call him wise. Lighten up, we're on the same side of the fence.

Obama is against the ruling?

Welp, he just lost my vote.

Obama talks a good talk, but his voting record when he was in the Illinois legislature says a lot. I can't trust him at all...even though he seems like such a great, compassionate guy.

"The Democratic party is a party of no ideas.

The Republican party is a party of BAD ideas."

-Lewis Black

At least the Republican Party had it right on the issue of partial birth abortion.

By the way, why should I care what Lewis Black has to say? :rolleyes:

I was quoting a comedian to lighten the mood...I was not forcing you to bow down to him and call him wise. Lighten up, we're on the same side of the fence.

Sorry if I took you wrong. Abortion is a serious matter to me, so I likely over reacted to your attempt at humor. :taped:

No problem. It's understandable. Abortion is a serious matter that too many people don't take seriously.

I hate moral relativism. It is as evil as Fascism, Nazism...all the evil isms.

Edited by CaritateDei

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I don't think Christians "have" to vote any one party, and I think it is a dangerous road to go down to get so political. In my state the Republicans are all Pro-Choice, so big deal why would I vote for them? I am registered independent and will vote my conscience and the issues that matter to me and for specific candidates, not for some party. I have voted for pro-life candidates both Democratic and Republican. I would take a man like Webb or Casey Jr, over someone like Pataki or Giuliani any day. So these labels are not really worth very much.

My major problem with the national Republican Party is that I think they have essentially sold out to the corporations, Wall Street, and the advocates of internationalism and globalism. Most support unfettered trade, the IMF and so forth, most support foreign entanglements, the tobacco and liquor industries and big time gaming. Pat Buchanan was the last true conservative they really offered in my opinion.

However in this case we can be thankful that we had President Bush to start turning the tide on the Supreme Court, and I am thankful I voted for him for that reason. But I don't feel any compunction to support Bush on other issues which he is totally wrong about.