• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I agree that you'll probably need something to take its place for a time...to keep yourself from doing it when you're hungry, keep a snack with you. To keep your hands busy when you're bored or nervous, take up something that'll keep your hands busy: try learning solo Cat's Cradle formations (Klutz has an awesome book to teach you some tricks with that) or get silly putty to fiddle with or one of those stress balls to squeeze.

My brother had the thumb sucking habit when he was a kid...he eventually had to have an appliance put on the roof of his mouth that actually made his mouth ache when he tried. Sounds extreme, but the dentist said that if it wasn't done or some other means to make him stop was not found, it would have caused much more expensive damage to his teeth. Anyway, it's something to look into. This article from webmd.com has more information about treatments for thumb sucking...it's in the pediatrics section, but the treatments at the bottom can be applied to those later in life as well.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Try wrapping your thumb up whenever you're not working. If you are busy making subs it is probably easier to remember not to, and as soon as you get off work, wrap it up again.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I had that habit, and stpped at 14 when I had to wear braces until 18. Then when my teeth were all nicely straightened, my fiance jilted me, and I started again!

Here I am at nearly 55, and I'm still doing it. Teeth are fine, and hubby thinks it's cute, and I like it, so....no harm! If the Lord mentions it to me to stop, then I will, but not without some hardship, because I do it when I am tired and relaxed, and I don't actually know I am doing it.

Guest LadyC

wow... this is a new one on me! i guess it never dawned on me that adults might struggle with this! but, silver shadow, since you want to stop and you've tried pepper and nail polish, let me ask you....

and you've probably tried these too...

there's a product that is made specifically for nail biters to help them quit that tastes really, really gross. i can't remember what it's called.

personally i quit my nail biting habit when i was a teen by dipping my fingers in jalopeno juice, because i really despise jalopenos. you said you've tried hot spices, but maybe pepper JUICE would be helpful. and if jalopeno isn't hot enough, maybe some... what's it called? habenaro or something like that?

oh hey, i did a quit search and found the name of a product that is designed for both nail biting and thumb sucking. it's called mavala stop, and supposedly has a really distinct bitter taste. run a google on it, see what ya think. it's about $7, and you'd probably have to purchase it online, i've never seen it in stores. (not that i look... my nail biting habit is back in full force and i don't polish them.)

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,763
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  222
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Here in Britain it is called stop and grow and is easily available ..it has the taste of very bitter almonds but you need to be careful when you put it on if you are handling food cos the smell is strong until it is dry and when wet it can transfer taste to the food you are handling ( you may need to wear gloves to handle delicate tasting food :whistling: )

If you want to try it and have difficulty just pm me and I will try to send you some ...I dont think it is regulated for food and drink import :rolleyes:

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

My mom used to paint this bitter stuff on my thumb...I just prevailed and sucked it off! No good.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  1,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  07/25/1982

yeah...I would say also since you work at Subway, (I also work at Subway) and we are not allowed to wear nail polish (even clear) It may be different where you are...but if you really want to stop..just ask the Lord and do the bandage thing when you are not at work...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  203
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/02/1989

yeah...I would say also since you work at Subway, (I also work at Subway) and we are not allowed to wear nail polish (even clear) It may be different where you are...but if you really want to stop..just ask the Lord and do the bandage thing when you are not at work...

Actually She Works at Quiznos :emot-hug: *We work together*

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Put a large sticking plaster on your thumb........buy some of that foul tasting liquid people use to help them stop biting their nails........ask all your friends and family to slap your hand every time they see your thumb in your mouth ( taking care they don't smack you in the mouth ) .....................or failing all else..buy a dummy..( pacifier ) they are all the rage in the UK among teenage girls, and considered quite cool :emot-hug::emot-highfive::whistling:

Edited by jenbe

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/10/1990

Thanks for your help guys. and thanks for the link Iryssa. ^.^ I think I'll look into the bitter stuffs. With the idea of the habenero juice LadyC, hear of the Habenero Doritos? I eat them by the handful when I can find 'em. (can you hear my stomach lining screaming?) But the bitter nail stuff might work. I'll find out where to get them around where I live (maybe Wal Mart has it :24: ) Thanks again guys!