• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

Are we getting a bit off topic?

The original post asking us if the KJV is easy for us to read and if we thought the KJV was destined to become obsolete?

My opinion (which is what was asked for) is yes to the first question and no to the second.

:21: yeah cause these threads "always" stay on topic

Honestly, the reason these type of threads never stay on topic is that someone who loves the KJV and loves to argue will not put aside their desire to argue and the thread gets derailed, closed, and then moved out of the General Discussion area. :blink:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/27/1964

Is the King James Version of the Bible easy for you to read in the year 2007?

Will it continue to be used? Is it fading out of the English language or is it basically already gone? The local Church I go to still uses KJV cited hymns (sp) but not Bibles. Most use the NIV.

Thoughts?

Yes it is easy for me to understand. Yes it will continue to be used for reasons I cannot fathom. It is archaic and generally considered by those who know the original languages to be an inferior work. I am far more versed in NT Greek than OT Hebrew, although I can find my way around the Hebrew Scriptures eventually. The KVJ NT, while being a stalwart and true translation of the original (and paraphrase of earlier translations) is not nearly as accurate as, say, the NIV or RSV. Those who tell you otherwise are offering opinions based on their preferences.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I own (and use) the New Century Version, New Internation Version, and the New Living Translation. I also have an Amplified Bible on order from Crossings that should be in any day now.

So which one is the REAL WORD of God? They can not all be the WORD of God can they?

Yes! :21:

The Word is JESUS! He is on every page, no matter what version you use.

What about Romans 16: 24: The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

What about Acts 8: 37: And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

The Word of God is all the WORDS of God not just some of His WORDS.

• Content Count:  5

Is the King James Version of the Bible easy for you to read in the year 2007?

Will it continue to be used? Is it fading out of the English language or is it basically already gone? The local Church I go to still uses KJV cited hymns (sp) but not Bibles. Most use the NIV.

Thoughts?

Yes it is easy for me to understand. Yes it will continue to be used for reasons I cannot fathom. It is archaic and generally considered by those who know the original languages to be an inferior work. I am far more versed in NT Greek than OT Hebrew, although I can find my way around the Hebrew Scriptures eventually. The KVJ NT, while being a stalwart and true translation of the original (and paraphrase of earlier translations) is not nearly as accurate as, say, the NIV or RSV. Those who tell you otherwise are offering opinions based on their preferences.

Dear brother it is all Greek to me, I struggle with English. (link removed by mod - engages in criticism of ministires)

Ronald is right. Those who stand by the KJV usually use emotional arguments to defend "the Bible Paul used," as opposed to scholarly and intellectual arguments that show every translation, in the end, as Marnie said, is a work of man or men. My advice is find one you can understand and are comfortable with. If you like the KJV, then use it. If you don't, like it, don't use it, but don't disparage those who do.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Guest Biblicist

I don't know about getting off topic, we are still discussing the KJV and it's relevance today. . . I think that's on topic. :blink:

I sense that perhaps if we are not careful an argument may break out. I have been on a few threads where KJV onlyists and others argue vehemently. No one on this thread so far has said anything that would imply that the KJV is the only valid translation.

Mostly, I just wanted to make a pre-emptive strike to keep a great thread from becoming contentious.

I see, smashing the egg before the snake hatches. . . Got ya! :21:

• Content Count:  18

Well, I am versed in Greek, and I have found that the KJV is a great deal closer in translation to the original Greek of the NT than most of the newer versions that have come to be favoured by people.

But I do agree that NO translation is God-inspired. Only the original works are. Whatever translation works best for each individual is the one that should be used. There is no right or wrong translation for anyone, as long as each person does his/her level best to understand what the message is, and to GROW in learning more and more about God's Word each time to read it. It truly is the LIVING Word of God, and you must learn to accept that your understanding of it should grow stronger every day, if you are seeking God's counsel in it.

I don't accept that some people avoid their Bibles by saying, "it's just too hard to understand, so what's the use?" If you truly wish to understand it, you will. If you seek wisdom with a faithful heart, God will help you to comprehend His Word.

Imagine that you have a child who has been kidnapped. And the person who took your child wants no money, he just wants to play a game. He sends you an obscure map, and unusual clues directing you to the location of your child, and claims that you have 24 hours to find your child or else he/she dies.

Would you look at the map and the clues, and say, "I don't understand these, so why bother?" ??? I doubt it!! You would do WHATEVER it takes to figure out the meaning of that map and those clues.

Think of your understanding of the Bible in the same way. Think of it as life and death (for your soul) based on whether or not you understand it. Then you'll do whatever is necessary to glean the meaning of the words. If that means finding the easiest version for you, then that's what you should do. But ask God to come into your heart and your thoughts to assist you, rather than just attempt it yourself. Without God, you can do nothing!!

I love the KJV, but it's not the only one I've used. No matter what, though, I sit down and ask God to point me to what He wishes me to learn from His Word today, before reading the Bible. And I ask Him to help me understand the words I am reading.

And by the way, interlinear Bibles are great!! You'll likely see things you never saw before, just by the small difference in wording. And a LITTLE understanding of the original languages could be wonderful too. As you see from the following two examples, a little change in wording can make for a big change in meaning:

When Jesus asked Peter if he loved Him, He asked him three times. That is significant, but not as big as it seems just from what we read in English. In the Greek, Jesus uses the word "agapao" for love, the first time and the second time, but the word "fileo" for love, the third time. Peter used only the "fileo" word to reply about his love for Jesus.

"Agape" love is an all-encompassing, perfect, "do anything for you" love.

"Fileo" love is what you feel for a brother.

When Jesus saw that Peter could not commit to a perfect love, He condescended to seek only what Peter would offer. He seeks more than He knows we will give to Him, but He brings Himself down to the level we offer.

When Jesus said to Peter that the devil looks to "sift you like wheat", that's not ACTUALLY what is stated there. We see this as the devil looking to sift Peter, and that Jesus has prayed to the Father for Peter's defense. In Greek, the word that Jesus uses for "you" (sift you like wheat) is plural. So the devil seeks to sift you ALL like wheat...all of the disciples. But He prays for PETER'S protection specifically. Peter is the rock on which the church will be built. Jesus knew the devil was after them all, but sought protection specifically for Peter. All others could perhaps benefit from that, as Peter would be the strength of the group.

If you know Greek, then surely you see the KJV's extreme shortcomings!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I think it's the most widely used version out there but I prefer the NKJ version. I also have a Amplified which I like but it can get a little wordy.