• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Update:

I'll reformat the thing. Being a privacy nut, I use a number of real time services, an onion server that covers my tracks, and so on. I downloaded the latest version of a program I assumed to be genuine, and it came in with it. My computers back themselves up every 12 hours onto external HDDs, so this is my project for the day.

I am sure you know this, but just to be safe, I will remind you. Take your backed up data and use another computer to sweep it for threats. I would sweep it with a few different programs just to be sure. It would be a major annoyance to format a hard drive and reload the same malicious program back onto it and be no better off than before. If it does detect it in the sweep, do not quarantine it, multi layer shred it.

Hey, thanks for your tips! I put Mike on that; I hadn't thought of that.

I reformatted the Dell and it seems to be fine. When Mike is done, I'll put my files back on. Question: What is the best anti virus program in your opinion. I do NOT like Norton or McAfee at all. I run Avast, the professional addition. I use professional editions of web anonymity software and usually route all my surfing through a client's server, yet this bug still got in!

Of course the best program varies from time to time, but at the present moment I would Say C.A. is by far the best.

They keep their definitions up to date far better than anyone else, and their heuristic is awesome at detecting unknowns.

Ending today, Tiger Direct actually has it free after rebate. It also comes on a 2 gig. flash drive. That is worth $25 its self.

Protects 3 computers. The only thing is their spy ware and firewall are not included and cost extra. At the moment, it is bullet proof. It guarantees 100% protection against known and unknown threats. They are new to the private sector, but have been providing network security to companies for years.

Once again, you came to my rescue. I have never heard of C.A. Since you seem to have a good handle on this, as far as you know, are there any known conflicts between C.A. and other anti virus software? You can run a couple these programs at the same time, no? Also, I have other security issues on the go here, is there anyway I could PM you and ask a few questions? I don't want to be pest.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

You should check out the latest edition of McAfee...I know, you don't like it, but the new version looks quite different. I'm loving it. (I still can't stand Norton)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Marnie,

I spend a long time on looking for a good one, I don't like avast or avg they detect the virus but don't fix it.

I bought this one and like it this far:

http://antivirus-software.6starreviews.com...t4_5xzqXNzmwpP-

I hope this help you?

I have the shield pro :cool:

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Thanks guys. I had a techie looking at what I had been doing for the past week online. I keep a log for business reasons and because I run my little enterprise off one of my publisher's providers. According to him I likely got infected from Instant Messenger, which could be, I used to leave it running in the background all the time. Given this, I did not re-install it when I reformatted.

hr, I will PM you in the morning.