• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Hey folks,

Here's a problem. My Dell Inspiron 5100 has picked up a trojan, I think. Here's what's happening: According to the machine, I am connected to my wireless network at home, or at the church. When I start my browser, FireFox OR IE, I can surf for maybe 5 minutes, then the browser tells me I am offline, yet my machine says I am online. When I "repair" the connection, I get another 3 or 4 minutes and then same thing.

I have run the Webroot products, which found some things but didn't fix the problem. I also ran Avast! and Execute, which also found some suspicious things but still the problem remains. I backed up my documents, but re-formatting C drive on Windows XP is absolutely the most futile, ridiculous, Herculean task imaginable.

Any advice?? If I can't get this going within 24 hours, I'm getting a new machine!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Sledge hammer and a credit card!

:thumbsup:

Your AV software should have identified the threat. You should then be able to send it to tech support of the AV provider and then they can e-mail you the fix for it. Replacement files, etc. etc. The good providers do it anyway. Of course, the good providers do not let the junk damage the files in the first place.

Even though the threat may be gone, it has probably already re-written files.

Good, real time protection is priceless.

Are you using a router? The problem actually sound like an unstable router or an unstable communication port to me.

I thought it was a router problem too, but it does it at home and at church; two different routers and providers. Avast did ID the problem, but when I went to isolate it, Avast said it couldn't because the program was in use. I did NOT copy down the name or location. I run a variety of protection, they all found it, but couldn't get repair the damage. The clock is ticking, I need a laptop. I cannot work in the house! lol

I think it piggy backed in on some PDF files a client was sending me.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Hey folks,

Here's a problem. My Dell Inspiron 5100 has picked up a trojan, I think. Here's what's happening: According to the machine, I am connected to my wireless network at home, or at the church. When I start my browser, FireFox OR IE, I can surf for maybe 5 minutes, then the browser tells me I am offline, yet my machine says I am online. When I "repair" the connection, I get another 3 or 4 minutes and then same thing.

I have run the Webroot products, which found some things but didn't fix the problem. I also ran Avast! and Execute, which also found some suspicious things but still the problem remains. I backed up my documents, but re-formatting C drive on Windows XP is absolutely the most futile, ridiculous, Herculean task imaginable.

Any advice?? If I can't get this going within 24 hours, I'm getting a new machine!

You can call a computer tech such as Geek Squad. My IT manager son in law does this kind of thing on the side and so do many, many others; that's another alternative. They save your stuff then 'nuke' your hard drive. I just lost my Toshiba laptop in January to one of these viruses; they are rampant! Do you have Norton or some other firewall/anti-virus installed?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,200
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I bought Norton internet security a long time ago and it seems to stop all that stuff before it gets into your system. I have had two problems that it didn't take care of and had to call Norton for a fix.... well we fixed one anyway, the other was an email thing from one of her friends that told her that they had given her a virus ans should delete two files to get rid of it..... well instead of calling me she deleted two of the files and it killed windows (good lesson learned by her).

I keep all my data backed up on three computers and my pictures and music on cd's and dvd's anyway.

We use Norton on all our windows driven servers at work also and we don't have a lot of problems with them either.

It might be worth a try.

Sam

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  201
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/24/1970

yeah me too i got it since over the weekend, it is awful and now it is protected but i am not sure what to do with it because it is protected in vault in AVG Free 7.5 as my friends said i have to clean up the all of cookies that way to prevent hackers or any worms come in the computer through internet, I wonder why they have to destroy their computer like who send that kind of virus to destory other computer it is waste of time because seems they are enjoying do this to destory as i believe that they are trying to destroy goverment etc who knows

DC

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

This is a last ditch effort that can save you the cost of a new machine.

Back up all your data, then reformat your hard drive. It will wipe everything clean, meaning you'll lose all your files (that you haven't backed up). You may need a computer smart friend to do this because I am not sure what is involved. If you do have to do this, DO NOT call a computer fixing company, they will charge you $150 for a 2 hour process that is relatively simple.

This is a last resort however, so if you can save it by other means, then do it.

Update:

I'll reformat the thing. Being a privacy nut, I use a number of real time services, an onion server that covers my tracks, and so on. I downloaded the latest version of a program I assumed to be genuine, and it came in with it. My computers back themselves up every 12 hours onto external HDDs, so this is my project for the day.

Update:

I'll reformat the thing. Being a privacy nut, I use a number of real time services, an onion server that covers my tracks, and so on. I downloaded the latest version of a program I assumed to be genuine, and it came in with it. My computers back themselves up every 12 hours onto external HDDs, so this is my project for the day.

I am sure you know this, but just to be safe, I will remind you. Take your backed up data and use another computer to sweep it for threats. I would sweep it with a few different programs just to be sure. It would be a major annoyance to format a hard drive and reload the same malicious program back onto it and be no better off than before. If it does detect it in the sweep, do not quarantine it, multi layer shred it.

Hey, thanks for your tips! I put Mike on that; I hadn't thought of that.

I reformatted the Dell and it seems to be fine. When Mike is done, I'll put my files back on. Question: What is the best anti virus program in your opinion. I do NOT like Norton or McAfee at all. I run Avast, the professional addition. I use professional editions of web anonymity software and usually route all my surfing through a client's server, yet this bug still got in!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  163
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/05/1988

Computers are odd aren't they. Like can't they perfect them after so many years of working?? NO.