IGNORED

Respecting leaders, pastors, etc.

Guest Blood-Washed

Guest Blood-Washed

Do we have to have respect for our leaders/pastors for "who" they are?

I respect people and know that leaders have a tremendous responsibility on them, but where do we draw the line between "respecting" leaders and "placing them on pedestals" like they're better than other people just because they carry a certain title.

If I sound rebellious, please, I am not meaning to. Sometimes people tend to go in a frenzy when they see their pastor, or talk to them, or when they meet an "important" christian leader, and it's almost sickening to see how they nearly fall to their knees for this person. And this saddens me, because I would much rather make a fuss over a drunk off the street who found Jesus, than a pastor with a fancy car, smart house and brand name clothing....

Please give me some advice here, and if you have scripture to prove me wrong, then I will humbly accept it.

Blessings

:)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

It sickens me when people exalt ministers and not Jesus. We are to give honor where honor is due. But God is able to speak through anyone, and if we are looking to the shiney suited man near a pulpit as being the answer then we have problems. God can speak to us through who ever he desires. I remember when I had that lightbulb experience and realized, it's not because I went here or there-it was God who was speaking through the minister. But God truely taught me I could hear from him myself and he will give us discernment over false doctrine and the flakey stuff.

I think sometimes we feel sickened to some things because Holy Spirit in us feels the same way and we need to keep those in authority in prayer, keep our churches in prayer, and evict the devil out of there. I don't think we need to open our tongues up to speak ugly to others about them-like truely haveing pastor for dinner, But true prayer.

I think you have it right, we should seek Jesus and seek the Lost.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

I understand what you are saying. Yes there is a difference between respect and placing on a pedestal. Unfortunately this is a problem in many churches and businesses. I tend to see it as respect is showing someone courtesy and using good manners, while placing someone on a pedestal, is an open show of admiration, real or not, but often done so to look important to the person they place on the pedestal, or to gain status or favoritism.

Guest amefica
It sickens me when people exalt ministers and not Jesus. We are to give honor where honor is due. But God is able to speak through anyone, and if we are looking to the shiney suited man near a pulpit as being the answer then we have problems. God can speak to us through who ever he desires. I remember when I had that lightbulb experience and realized, it's not because I went here or there-it was God who was speaking through the minister. But God truely taught me I could hear from him myself and he will give us discernment over false doctrine and the flakey stuff.

I think sometimes we feel sickened to some things because Holy Spirit in us feels the same way and we need to keep those in authority in prayer, keep our churches in prayer, and evict the devil out of there. I don't think we need to open our tongues up to speak ugly to others about them-like truely haveing pastor for dinner, But true prayer.

I think you have it right, we should seek Jesus and seek the Lost.

Well, i understand what you mean and i personally have a problem with placing ministers in a place where we almost worship them. But i totally see no problem in respecting them and recognising their calling by God as shepherds! I respect Billy Graham more than i respect any president in the whole world. The truth is he has a higher calling than any high office on this world! So when i see him, i accord him that respect. I don't see anything wrong in respecting the ministers if we also respect the people of this world who have high offices. They are also human but we do listen to them and respect them so why can't we even more respect the Ministers. We do not respect anyone because they are perfect. What about the celebrating we do to celebrities? I would rather celebrate my pastor more than any celebrity!

My scripture back up for this is II chronicles 20:20 the last bit where Jehoshephat was telling Judah " Put your trust in the Lord your God and you will be established. Put your trust in His prophets and you will succeed"

Many times when i am in a crisis or needing a word or instruction from God which is every week, i go to church seeking from God help and the pastor would be preaching and i would hear instruction from God through him. Because i trust and believe that God has called Him to be my pastor i don't doubt his interpretation of the Word because the Spirit of God within me bears witness when i read the same Word that it is the truth. I tell you, from this, i always succeed, whether at home, work or ministry. I have lived my life through many Pastors, some directly, some as i just sit in the congregation. I can tell you, the more i seek God the more he places a respect i cannot describe for the Pastors and the more He impresses me to pray for my pastors all the time!

Hope you can also see my perspective to this topic.

:wub:

If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,

Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Philippians 2:1-5

:emot-hug:

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.

We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.

And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.

Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

We love him, because he first loved us.

If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

1 John 4

:emot-hug:

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

Guest lovinghim4ever

We should NEVER place anyone on a pedestal; no matter who they are or what position they hold.

I always respect the position, but I must admit that I don't always respect the person holding that position.

:P:24::24:

:emot-hug::wub::emot-hug:

Guest Blood-Washed
Not sure what "advice" you're asking for here, Blood-Washed. It sounds like you've already drawn the line for yourself, and I think you have a healthy attitude :) .

I believe that some people think pastors are closer to God than "regular people" are, so in getting close to them, they are, in a sense trying to get closer to God. That's why they fawn over them. And to a certain degree, that makes sense. A pastor's job is to study Scripture, and if he is the shephard he is supposed to be, his relationship with God will be very close. And in our minds, that can make them seem more "holy" than we are, so we stand in a sort of awe of them. A false perception, but there nonetheless.

People ask for Charles Stanley's autograph, but nobody lines up for my pastor's signature, and the Holy Spirit speaks as much through him as He does Stanley. But my pastor doesn't write books, and he's not on TV. He doesn't have the celebrety status, so in society's mind, his signature isn't as valuable as Stanley's. I don't quite understand it either.

I don't think there is any Scripture to refute what you have said. People are people. One has no higher value than the other regardless of their occupation--be it pastor, author, singer, or plummer.

I do hope you find the answer you're searching for.

:wub:

Thanx for all the replies, it really helped a lot. I thought that I was alone on this subject, and really questioned my own integrity and even came to a point where I thought there was some sort of spirit of rebellion or something around me...Sheesh! :noidea:

I specifically reply to Is43:4's reply, as it described more or less what I was trying to say. The same thing more or less happened in our church - happens all the time! - where the congregation goes into this frenzy of almost "worshiping" the senior pastor and it makes me really sick! He is not to be spoken to, UNLESS HE SPEAKS to you first! Nobody's allowed to see him or visit him (or likewise) unless HE CALLS YOU in to see you! Only the "leadership" of the church has any authority (INCLUDING spiritually!) and the rest of the congregation seems to be "just there" to fill the pews (or that's how I feel anyway). I was told that the pastor is an anointed man of God and chosen and I must respect him for that!

So, now that you know little more about my concern, maybe you will understand my original question more. As far as I know we as christians are ALL anointed and chosen by God?? Not just pastors and evangelists, etc. :rolleyes:

There is actually so much more to my story, but I cannot go into it more than I already have, otherwise people may get hurt and I get in trouble.

And for those who will reply that I must find another church.... I am going to, so please will you pray for me for clear direction from God in this respect.

Shalom

:laugh::b::emot-hug:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

When a leader has earned your respect, then by all means respect away!

And unless there's a reason not to respect someone, I suppose you ought to....