• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  580
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Hey, everyone;

Lately, I've been reading through the writings of Paul, and find myself struggling to fully comprehend them. Instead of enjoying a fluid reading of these texts, I find myself having to stop 2 or 3 times and re-read what it was I had just read, with little increased understanding.

Now, I realize that Paul was an intellectual man, but for some reason, I have trouble deciphering what it is that is behind many of his thoughts. I have tried reading the commentary, and referring to other passages, but I still find myself struggling for illumination.

Has anyone else here had this problem? Can anyone recommend a good commentary? Would this help?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks so much

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Have you tried a different translation?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to illuminate the passages and to reveal Christ through the writings of Paul to you. :noidea:

Peace,

Dave

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Hey, everyone;

Lately, I've been reading through the writings of Paul, and find myself struggling to fully comprehend them. Instead of enjoying a fluid reading of these texts, I find myself having to stop 2 or 3 times and re-read what it was I had just read, with little increased understanding.

Now, I realize that Paul was an intellectual man, but for some reason, I have trouble deciphering what it is that is behind many of his thoughts. I have tried reading the commentary, and referring to other passages, but I still find myself struggling for illumination.

Has anyone else here had this problem? Can anyone recommend a good commentary? Would this help?

Paul is one of the most difficult writers to understand - not because he's a bad writer, but because his concepts are so deep. He is, in my opinion, the best philosopher to have ever walked the earth (if we don't count Jesus).

You're not the only one who has struggled with Paul's writings.

...and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

2 Peter 3:15-16

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  448
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  04/10/1981

Hey, everyone;

You are not alone. Paul's Letters are very complex and even scholars debate his theology. If you are like me, you find Paul's views on soteriology and the Law to be the most confusing aspects of his theology. Some (long) books that I have found helpful are:

Paul and Palestinian Judaism: A Comparison of Patterns of Religion by E. P. Sanders

Paul the Law and the Jewish People by E. P. Sander

The Theology of Paul the Apostle by James D. G. Dunn

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Hey, everyone;

Well, you can always post specific questions in the Doctrinal forum.

And then sit back and watch the fur fly. :noidea:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

You will understand of the text, EXACTLY what God has for you AT THIS TIME. The Scripture itself tells us 'these things are SPIRITUALLY discerned.'

I have never tried to 'understand' the Bible!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Hey, everyone;

I could happily read and re-read Romans all day and every day and still get something more from it! As AK says, I too believe that he was probably the greatest philosopher who ever lived. And if you have ever read any philosophy books, you will know that they are not the most accessible of writings. What I found - looking back 30 or more years - is that as I read the Holy Spirit would illuminate just ONE thought spread across maybe three or four verses. I didn't try to understnd any more than that. Over many years the Holy Spirit has graciouly revealed to me more and more of God's thoughts penned by His servant Paul. Please, do not be discouraged, just take what little you can for the moment and believe that it is THAT particular little bit that the Lord wants you to understand for the present time. Gradually He will increase your understanding. It is sometimes difficult in today's society of instant gratification to accept that sanctification (and all that it entails, including understanding the deeper things of God's Word) is a lifelong process not an instant solution. "Little by little, line upon line, precept upon precept." I think that's found in Proverbs somewhere, and I hope I've quoted it right. But that's the Word that the Lord has given to me, for you, at this moment.

May God richly bless you as you read His Word,

In Jesus,

Ruth

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Hey, everyone;

I used to have the same trouble, DNW, until I came to understand Grace... I would strongly suggest you avoid any and all commentary and study the subject of Grace... Once you possess the knowledge of it's core, Paul's writings will be amazingly simplistic to your mind, and they will swell your heart to unbelievable depths in adoration for our Lord and Savior, Jesus...

Oh what you have ahead of you! God bless you in your quest my friend!

Edited by Motivated By Grace