undone

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

In the Genesis story of Cain and Abel, Cain is worried that all who see him will try to kill him. At this point, the only other people we've been made aware of is his parents and of course we under the impression that Adam and Eve are the first and only people. I don't think he was worried about his parents killing him. Who else could he be worried about?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

Some very good answers were in this thread:

http://www.worthyboards.com/index.php?showtopic=124

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Some very good answers were in this thread:

http://www.worthyboards.com/index.php?showtopic=124

Thanks for the link. I read through much of it and must say it offers some of the wildest ideas I've ever heard.

Something I think one could conclude from this passage: Given the implied idea that there were other intelligent beings present on the earth (in fact in the neighborhood, because how else would they have known what Cain had done), there is definately wiggle room when it comes to considering a literal translation of Genesis.

The fallen angels idea is interesting, but why would fallen angels care if Cain murdered his brother? They're fallen angels!

I'm left to assume that there were other caring humans who were in close proximity to the Adam and Eve family. Who were they? I can't see how anyone could speculate. But clearly we're not told everything in this story. So what is the extent of what has been left out? Harder to bang non-literalists over the head I think.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Adam and Eve probably had other children.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  248
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/05/1946

In the Genesis story of Cain and Abel, Cain is worried that all who see him will try to kill him. At this point, the only other people we've been made aware of is his parents and of course we under the impression that Adam and Eve are the first and only people. I don't think he was worried about his parents killing him. Who else could he be worried about?

"Who else could he be worried about?

He should have be worried about Himself!

Liz

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Hello,

I have always taken it that Adam and Eve had other children as you will notice what goes on in the following verses

Genesis 4:16-17--"And Cain went out from the presence of the Lord, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch."

It seems at the time when Cain went from the presence of the Lord he goes down to a place on the east side of Eden called "Nod" and when Cain left the presence of God having been punished for killing Abel it seems that Cain was still single at that time. But if you will pay attention you will see in this verse that there were other people living in Nod located on the east side of Eden so these other people here had to be other of Adam's children as that would have broken away and went out to start other families.

But Cain goes down there to Nod and takes him a wife from the people living there. So I take it if there was people living in Nod then there had to be other of Adam's children living in other places as well having children and all them things it stands to reason in light of this verse. So basically Cain's fear was about the other people who was literally on the earth at that time running across him and killing him so that is why God put a mark on him so others would know somehow not to kill him for the murder in which he had committed.

Anyways these are my thoughts based around these two scriptures.

blessings

OC

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  1,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  07/25/1982

of course they had other children...just like some will say oh well they married others who were already on the earth...no they married their brothers and sisters and this continued until the population got big enough to start marrying further away from the family. No person, alien, creature anything was living that was not born from adam and eve. (obviously I am not talking about animals) I think cain was worried about his "family" that had already grown up and moved off to live somewhere else but within that area...

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

Hello,

I have always taken it that Adam and Eve had other children as you will notice what goes on in the following verses

Genesis 4:16-17--"And Cain went out from the presence of the Lord, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch."

It seems at the time when Cain went from the presence of the Lord he goes down to a place on the east side of Eden called "Nod" and when Cain left the presence of God having been punished for killing Abel it seems that Cain was still single at that time. But if you will pay attention you will see in this verse that there were other people living in Nod located on the east side of Eden so these other people here had to be other of Adam's children as that would have broken away and went out to start other families.

But Cain goes down there to Nod and takes him a wife from the people living there. So I take it if there was people living in Nod then there had to be other of Adam's children living in other places as well having children and all them things it stands to reason in light of this verse. So basically Cain's fear was about the other people who was literally on the earth at that time running across him and killing him so that is why God put a mark on him so others would know somehow not to kill him for the murder in which he had committed.

blessings

OC

So what you just said is that the story of Adam and Eve being the first humans made and the father and mother of all, is a lie.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  1

He was afraid of the people living there. The text does not specifically tell us how they got there. We can only infer that from the information given. My take is that Cain was worried about someone from the family finding him and exacting vengance. Notice what Cain says:

"Whoever finds me will kill me" (Genesis 4:14 HCSB). This has the nuance of someone looking for Cain to "find him". In fact the Hebrew word used here has as one of it's nuances, "to locate something that is searched for".

Cain would be alone, away from the main body of the clan. An avenger could easily track him and kill him.

(edited to correct spelling error)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  1

Hello,

blessings

OC

I don't think the text specifically says that Cain took a wife from the region of Nod. It just says that once he got there, they conceived children.