IGNORED

Why are Christians so afraid of affection?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/25/1982

our church is affectionate...my pastor's wife will even give us a kiss on the cheek...but see we are small and much like a family...i even get mad at my pastors just like a child would at their parents...AND they love and correct and discipline me just as a parent would a child...but that is what mentors are for...and I love mine more than anything...Even in those hard times...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest phipples
The least 'huggy' people I know are the Canadians. They are more a handshake type group. (Now, don't you Canadians get offended; I'm only talking about those I know!) It's pretty much a cultural thing, not religion based, IMO. :P

:th_praying: This gave me a great little giggle. My theory about "us Canadians" not hugging as much would be that we're just reserved...We've been taught PC to the extreme, and I think generally we are just to afraid to offend anyone. Really funny observation though, I'll be watching now.

I wonder, as Christians, do we feel like we must be on a higher level of "proper"?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  09/20/1947

Hmmm. I generally kiss Christians on the cheek as the 'Sign of Peace,' and in greetings, often.

I guess you haven't lived until you've been kissed by bald, burly 50-something theologian!

:th_praying:

Ha! No thanks L you will get a handshake and a pat on the back from me.......seriously it took me a while to showing affection to my fellow Christians and although I am not a compulsive hugger yet I do return the hugs I get joyfully and the odd peck on the cheek. :P:emot-crying:

Marnie me lass please tell me you were never an ice queen - more of an iron maiden methinks :thumbsup::emot-crying:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  580
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

our church is affectionate...my pastor's wife will even give us a kiss on the cheek...but see we are small and much like a family...i even get mad at my pastors just like a child would at their parents...AND they love and correct and discipline me just as a parent would a child...but that is what mentors are for...and I love mine more than anything...Even in those hard times...

That's great!!!

I've always had a hard time approaching the head pastor, even when I was younger...For some, reason, I always thought that I'd be bothering him.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/26/1950

Well, you can bet your bottom-dollar that when I get to Heaven, I'm going to be hugging everyone in sight, so be prepared, people...and it's not just going to be some cheezy half-hug...I'll be throwing my arms around everyone in sight, so be warned!! It's going to be a huge lovefest (lol)

Me, too. We can be sure it will be safe there.

One friend of mine says she doesn't like church hugs because most of them are fakey. I will hug other ladies, but the only man I'll hug at all is my husband. There is a lot of sin in the church, and it's wise to keep some distance. I generally don't get within two feet of a man.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Well, you can bet your bottom-dollar that when I get to Heaven, I'm going to be hugging everyone in sight, so be prepared, people...and it's not just going to be some cheezy half-hug...I'll be throwing my arms around everyone in sight, so be warned!! It's going to be a huge lovefest (lol)

Well, you'd just love my disabled daughter - she hugs anyone who is willing to allow her to fling her arms around their neck! It's one of the reasons she enjoys going to church - she's always assured of plenty of hugs! Having said that, I have an eighteen year old daughter who was a little put out by an overly long and close hug (chest to chest) from a young married man at church. Judging by the look on her face, I don't think his wife was too comfortable with it, either. I suppose that sensitivity to another's situation and general demeanour is what is required. I don't find it particularly easy to hug people whom I am not very well acquainted with and find it a little embarrassing when total strangers come up to me in church and fling their arms around me. But I'm quite a shy person so I recognise that that's just me being me. My 80 yr old mother says that one of the joys of being old and widowed is that she can give and receive hugs freely because no-one could possibly think there might be ulterior motives!

Blessings in Jesus,

and a big hug, too,

Ruth

• Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

I think it depends on where you go to church at.

Our church is VERY affectionate. We spend a few minutes during service just wandering around the room, saying hi, introducing ourselves and shaking hands and hugging.

Yes, I agree. My family, and my church family, is very affectionate. My church in MI was the same way. We hug everyone. :emot-hug:

Some people are just more reserved.