• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/03/1951

Luk 19:27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me

It looks as if Jesus spoke these word primaraly to the relgious Jews who constantly followed Jesus, only to try to find fault in him. These are the enimies i think he is speaking of because later in the chapter he tells them that Jerusalem would one day be destoyed by the Romans in 70 A.D. The Jews rejected Jesus as their king. But it is a warning to all who reject Jesus as their King, become his enemy.

Luk 19:42 Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.

Luk 19:43 For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side,

Luk 19:44 And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

As it has been already pointed out, this was a parable.....a story which illustrates a truth.

There was no LITERAL chopping and hacking going on here.

However, what is illustrated is the absolute right of God to judge and rule.

While God loves His enemies in the sense that He sent His Son to die for them, and grace is granted for those who repent and receive Christ, His holiness calls for the righteous condemnation of those who reject His love and grace.

I think perhaps also the enemies in this parable represent those who attempt to "use" the Lord, but care nothing personally for Him.

The text is clear in that the ones being slain are "enemies." An enemy is one who is against...opposed...an adversary.

It is a picture of warning....a picture of final judgment.

But even the grace of God is seen. There is not instant final judgment when someone first rejects Christ.....quite often people have more than one chance. These "enemies" were given all they needed, and were given ample chance and time. They wanted the benefits of salvation, but cared nothing for the Savior.

Guest Greg Davies

Refering to the parable in Luke 19;11-27:

Here's my simple little take on this parable, which, as has been said before, is an illustration of a truth, not to be taken "literally".

The Bible teaches us that the earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof, THE WORLD AND ALL THEY THAT DWELL THEREIN. (Psalm 24:1).

The "subjects" who rejected the king are the unsaved who reject Christ. The servants are those who have received Christ's salvation and are given responsibilites according to their abilities and are rewarded according to their "good works".

The punishment described in the parable may not be literal, but its severity is meaningfull to prod some to repentence. I know it is the goodness of the Lord that leads us to repentence. But even if someone is brought to repentence and salvation out of fear, it's better than the alternative. :blink: Greg.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I know that at one time Jesus told his followers to 'put up your sword, for those who live by the sword will die by the sword', ..........and on another occasion he told them to buy swords....

I've always wondered about this one, too.

Why did Jesus tell HIs disciples at The Last Supper to buy swords, and then later in the Garden , Jesus rebuked Peter for actually using the sword.

:noidea:

Guest shiloh357
I know that at one time Jesus told his followers to 'put up your sword, for those who live by the sword will die by the sword', ..........and on another occasion he told them to buy swords....

I've always wondered about this one, too.

Why did Jesus tell HIs disciples at The Last Supper to buy swords, and then later in the Garden , Jesus rebuked Peter for actually using the sword.

:whistling:

Luke 22:36 needs to be understood in the light of what had already happened especially in light of their quarelling over who would be the greatest in verse 24.

Keep in mind that there is evidence that the disciples were barely if at all, out of their teen years, and while more mature than most modern teenagers, still at times, they showed their age by jockeying over positions of greatness.

What Jesus seems to be stating in verse 36 is that they are going to have more problems than they did when Jesus sent them out before. They should be not be quarelling and striving between one another because their future holds great danger and violent opposition to their message.

Jesus, it does not appear, was calling on them to repel force with force; He is trying to get them to suppress their animosity with one another over such a trivial matter by pointing out the common enemies that they are about to face in the months and years to come. It is the apprehension with respect to the dangers and opposition they would face that should cease all striving amongst themselves.

It is clear the disciples did not understand Him, though. Their repsonse, "Here are two swords." Jesus (and I can hear the exasperation in His voice) says, "it is enough." He is not saying the two swords are enough, but that He has said enough on the matter and that He is moving on since there are more pressing matters at hand, and that they will understand what He meant in due time.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

Don't quite know if this is in the correct forum, but I was hoping to get some clarification as to what others believe regarding, for example, the following verse - spoken by Jesus:

"Those that would not that I should reign over them, bring them hither and slay them before me."

I don't really have a problem with it myself. I just regard it as one of those 'hard sayings' that I don't yet fully understand, but will understand one day. And when speaking to those who are open to belief, I would say something like: 'It just goes to show that God is not to be messed around with. He is the holder of life and death, etc'

But when debating such things with atheists, who often use such verses to launch an attack on God, I often find that I am 'stumped' when trying to provide a meaningful answer.

Can anybody shed any light whatsoever on the meaning of the above verse, and where it might be applicable, whether literally or figuratively?

Thanks in advance :emot-drool:

Jesus did not himself speak these words as coming from himself. He recited a story and quoted what the character in the story said.