• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,851
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

Don't quite know if this is in the correct forum, but I was hoping to get some clarification as to what others believe regarding, for example, the following verse - spoken by Jesus:

"Those that would not that I should reign over them, bring them hither and slay them before me."

I don't really have a problem with it myself. I just regard it as one of those 'hard sayings' that I don't yet fully understand, but will understand one day. And when speaking to those who are open to belief, I would say something like: 'It just goes to show that God is not to be messed around with. He is the holder of life and death, etc'

But when debating such things with atheists, who often use such verses to launch an attack on God, I often find that I am 'stumped' when trying to provide a meaningful answer.

I know that at one time Jesus told his followers to 'put up your sword, for those who live by the sword will die by the sword', ..........and on another occasion he told them to buy swords....

Can anybody shed any light whatsoever on the meaning of the above verse, and where it might be applicable, whether literally or figuratively?

Thanks in advance ;)

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Don't quite know if this is in the correct forum, but I was hoping to get some clarification as to what others believe regarding, for example, the following verse - spoken by Jesus:

"Those that would not that I should reign over them, bring them hither and slay them before me."

I don't really have a problem with it myself. I just regard it as one of those 'hard sayings' that I don't yet fully understand, but will understand one day. And when speaking to those who are open to belief, I would say something like: 'It just goes to show that God is not to be messed around with. He is the holder of life and death, etc'

But when debating such things with atheists, who often use such verses to launch an attack on God, I often find that I am 'stumped' when trying to provide a meaningful answer.

I know that at one time Jesus told his followers to 'put up your sword, for those who live by the sword will die by the sword', ..........and on another occasion he told them to buy swords....

Can anybody shed any light whatsoever on the meaning of the above verse, and where it might be applicable, whether literally or figuratively?

Thanks in advance :P

Don't know that I can shed any light on that praticuar verse for you. However, "debating" the bible may not be what your wanting to do. In my own experience, I found it much more advantagious to hold firm to my beliefs and be a real time example. I'm very convinced that people "watch" what you do more often than listen to what you say.

Roy

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

Roy, the whole purpose of forum fellowship is to learn from each other by reading what a person is saying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke 19:11-27

The Parable of the Ten Minas

11While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once. 12He said: "A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return. 13So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas.[a]'Put this money to work,' he said, 'until I come back.'

14"But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, 'We don't want this man to be our king.'

15"He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.

16"The first one came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned ten more.'

17" 'Well done, my good servant!' his master replied. 'Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.'

18"The second came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned five more.'

19"His master answered, 'You take charge of five cities.'

20"Then another servant came and said, 'Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.'

22"His master replied, 'I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? 23Why then didn't you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?'

24"Then he said to those standing by, 'Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.'

25" 'Sir,' they said, 'he already has ten!'

26"He replied, 'I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away. 27But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them

Guest createdforhim2

Thanks in advance :b:

What Chapter and verse is it? I never read that before.

Guest createdforhim2
Roy, the whole purpose of forum fellowship is to learn from each other by reading what a person is saying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke 19:11-27

The Parable of the Ten Minas

11While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once. 12He said: "A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return. 13So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas.[a]'Put this money to work,' he said, 'until I come back.'

14"But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, 'We don't want this man to be our king.'

15"He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.

16"The first one came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned ten more.'

17" 'Well done, my good servant!' his master replied. 'Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.'

18"The second came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned five more.'

19"His master answered, 'You take charge of five cities.'

20"Then another servant came and said, 'Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.'

22"His master replied, 'I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? 23Why then didn't you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?'

24"Then he said to those standing by, 'Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.'

25" 'Sir,' they said, 'he already has ten!'

26"He replied, 'I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away. 27But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Thanks in advance :emot-fail:

First of all, Jesus was speaking a parable which is an example. It was an earthly example for a heavenly fact. You left out the word "enemies" from your quote. It was the enemies of Jesus He was talking about. The parable was concerning the responsibilities and or gifts that Jesus gives us. If we have a gift and don,t use it to glorfy Jesus, we are an enemy of Jesus. If He gives us a responsibility like a ministry and we don't take care of that ministry to reach out to souls for Jesus we have failed in our responsibilties.

The parable was speaking about a Noblman which a man who comes from a royal blood line. In the days of Jesus when a nobleman had servents who failed him he would consider them enemies and have them killed. And likewise when the time comes even the enemies of Christ will be brought before the throne and judged unwortthy and condemned to everlasting death.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Thanks in advance :emot-fail:

What Chapter and verse is it? I never read that before.

Luke 19:27

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  12/24/1982

I have not read this verse where is it found :24:

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

At His return this is going to happen:

Matthew 13:40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

Matthew 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

Matthew 13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 13:43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

:emot-hug: from damo1

sweety cakes

those that would not that i should reign over them bring them hither and slay them before me

do you mean this

matthew 26 verses 52 -54 =55 new spirit filled life study bible this is what i am using my self

But jesus said to him put your sword in its place for al who take the sword will perish by the sword

or do you think that i cannot now pray to my father and he wil provide me with more than twelve legions of angels

how then could the scriptures be fulfilled that it must happen thus ?

in that hour jesus said to the multitudes have you come out against a robber with swords and clubs to take me i sat daily with you teaching in the temple and you did not seize me

jesus was telling peter to put the sword down as he deffended jesus and was saying those that live by the sword wil die by the sword we are not like that that is not what i taught you and he healed the servant of the high priest as this is the way i see it my self

i know what you are saying when it comes to atheists i find that i just need to stand my ground no matter what they throw at me as they wil come up with many excuses to throw us of course and argue with us on what we belive and what they belive in and just go by the holy spirit in you as i was told when they argue with us the spirit in them sees also the spirit of god in us

i have a friend who came out of bible collage and has set up a counseling clinick hear wear i live and he has two books on how to talk to atheists for new christians and this book talks about everything from darwin to what they belive in and gives you points and tips and how to stand on gods word when its almost impossible to get around there head to why we believe in god and what we keep close to our heart from the living word

i wil also come back to this post and see what others are saying as i want to learn as well get educated as one says in the word of god and come of the milk and dig into the meat of the living word

from damo1