zecha51

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

"How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rock"

end of Psalm 137

Some translations say "happy" are the ones who dash your little ones heads against the rocks.

This was brought up to me as an attack against God saying He condones infanticide. Obviously God loves children, we know that. What is the best way to best explain this verse to a skeptic? I am finding it kind of tough. The only answer I have so far is that this tribe that the Psalm speaks of was doing terrible things to the Isreallites.

Thanks; if this post goes better in another forum.. move away mods.

*edit*

The best explanation so far is justice becuase the Edomites had taken them captive and done terrible things to them.

Does anyone have information or knowledge that affirms the same thing?

Edited by zecha51

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

Hi zecha,

The passage does not advocate wholesale infanticide. It is a Psalm that laments what the Edomites did to Jerusalem (see Obadiah 10-14) - they participated and gloated when Jerusalem was plundered and razed to the ground by the Babylonians (circa. 590BC). "Tear it down", the cried, "Tear it down to its foundations" (Psalm 137:7). From what I understand the phrase used at the start of this verse "Remember, O Lord, what the Edomites did" is a legal phrase used to set a case before the Judge. The Psalmist is setting up a case to God for what the Edomites had done to God's chosen people.

It should also be noted that the word translated "Happy" does not necessarily mean joy or fulfillment (though it can mean this). It also often refers to being Blessed in the sight of God, or even more basic it means "right/doing the right thing" (see Proverbs 14:21, or Psalm 106:3 for further details).

Also, one might note that dashing children upon the rocks is exactly the same phrased used when other nations (including the Babylonians) attacked the Israelites (see 2 Kings 8:12, for example).

The Psalmist is not taking things into his own hands and committing these acts (though I wouldn't put it past him if he wanted to - but that's off topic, methinks, and no way to scripturally know what the Psalmist was thinking or feeling). He is leaving things to God's judgement. When Jerusalem was destroyed by Babylon, when the children of Israel were "dashed upon the rocks", the Edomites cheered. The Psalmist is setting things before God, putting it into His Almighty and Perfect hands. The psalmist asks nothing, but says that when Edom and Babylon is trated in the same manner as Babylon treated Jerusalem, things will be right. The Judge of all the Earth will have acted Justly. Verse 8 of this psalm recognises the justice of what Babylon did to Jerusalem ("what you have done to us").

And finally, verse 9 is saying that when Babylon get what's coming to them, things will finally be right. Does the Psalmist say he wants it to be so? No, only that it will be so. That is the sort of world we live in under God.

Hope that helps you in answering the question :noidea:

~ Regards, Paranoid Android

----------------------------------------------------

The above post was made using the New Bible Commentary (21st Century Edition) as a basis of research into this Psalm.

Edited by ParanoidAndroid

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

I read this verse;

Ps

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

It sounds almost like sarcasm to me. God does it somewhere in Job when he says something along the lines of "You are so wise that you should know... something" to Job when Job tries to talk back to him.

I think it's saying "How happy will the one who kills your babies be" and meaning "The murderers are happy now, but just wait!"

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

^I don't get sarcasm from the passage, and I don't think you can rightfully interpret sarcasm into the scriptures. It is an agonized plea to God. Just my opinion though, of course ;)

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

They would be happy because it would be that their children would grow up to be just like them and even worse to the children of Israel administering their cruel punishments upon them while they were in captivity as they are lamenting the fact of being in a strange land. Dashes their children against the stones would be a good thing in the fact their future enemies would be destroyed.

OC

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  98

Paranoid Android, thank you for that research and commentary. I greatly appreciate it after finding this passage tough to explain.

Thanks also Dave and posts.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  109

This could also be "God speak" in terms of right and wrong. Proof of God's understanding of an evil heart. An example of the spirit who believes that this would/should make him happy. But doesn't understand right from wrong in his endeavor.

Everlasting,

;)

Moon over Key Biscayne

Edited by Everlasting127

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

This is one of several "Imprecatory Psalms." It would be a mistake to dismiss them as they demonstrate the zeal and passion the Psalmist had for the Kingdom of God. Other Imprecatory Psalms are 5, 6, 11, 12, 35, 37, 40, 52, 54, 56, 58,69, 79, 83, 109, 139, and 143.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  109

:)

The lamentations within Psalms speak to many direct supplications to the Lord. But they also speak of man's lamentations for his love of this world, and what the world could be. The reality is: this became satan's domain during the time of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden, and remained that way until Jesus redeemed everyone through the Holy Spirit, and through the infinate will of God the Father.

Deu 3:26 But the LORD was wroth with me for your sakes, and would not hear me: and the LORD said unto me, Let it suffice thee; speak no more unto me of this matter.

Everlasting,

Moon over Key Biscayne