• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1975

The earth is approximately 4.5 billion years old and should be around for at least another 4 billion years or so. Of course, we won't be around nearly that long. The first organisms on this planet were single celled microbes and they will almost certainly be the last.

The last magnetic pole reversal was approximately 730,000 years ago, and it took approximately 4500 years to complete. Homo Sapiens (us) first originated in sub-saharan africa approximately 200,000 years ago. So as a species, we never have had to endure a magnetic pole reversal. However, one of our predecessors, Homo Erectus, was around for the last magnetic pole reversal and survived as a species for about 200,000 years afterwards. If Homo Erectus figured out how to survive a magnetic field reversal with a brain that was just 75% the size of ours, then I think in the extremely unlikely event that such a change was to begin in our lifetimes, we could adapt as well. :emot-wave:

Now, Mathqueen, as a math teacher, I bet you could figure out the actual odds of a magnetic pole reversal happening in our lifetimes.

*waits for people to start arguing with forrest about his post* :):b:

And I'm still on summer vacation. I refuse to calculate any odds of any sort until school begins.... :(

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

*waits for people to start arguing with forrest about his post* :):b:

And I'm still on summer vacation. I refuse to calculate any odds of any sort until school begins.... :(

I just figured the odds, assuming my method for doing so is not scientifically flawed, it would seem that the odds of a magnetic pole reversal beginning in a persons lifetime is approximately 1 in 6207.

Now, if we look at the length of time our predecessors made it before going extinct (the median time), and assume that we will be around for about the same amount of time, then the odds of Jesus returning in our lifetime is very approximately 1 in 23076 (assuming average life expectancy over the entire course of human existence to be 65).

You know actually, to calculate that second set of odds would involve a pretty complicated equation. You would have to figure what the life expectancy of man was 200,000 years ago, and account for the extension of it and contraction of it due to advances in civilization, natural events, and advances of medicine. As to the longer a generation lived, the slightly better its odds would be. This would be a pretty interesting problem for an algebra or computer science class...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

On this date, scientists and modern astronomers state that the sun and the earth will be in perfect alignment with the center of the Milky Way galaxy. This only happens once every 25,800 years.

The earth is at the most, only 10.000 years old; therefore their theory is wrong at it's foundation and doesn't bother me in the least. Second Jesus clearly teaches that no one knows what day he will return, so we know for sure now it won't be Dec 21, 2012.

Actually if we, hold to the 1 day equals 1 thousand years then it was 6 thousand years for creation (also this is if you dont agree to the "gap theory"). Then you have to add on the day of rest. We have 7000 years right there. This is just creation and the day of rest. Now include the years up until Christ, then the 2000 years that we have... and we will see the earth is not only 10,000 years old.

But this mystery as well as many others will be revealed when God permits. :)

Paul's analogy that a day is like a thousand years does not acutally mean a literal thousand years. I dont think Paul acutally meant one day equals one thousand years in God time. It just means a day to God is nothing compared to what a day is to us. The bible also compares the life of man like a vapor to God. Now how long does a vapor last? A few seconds So does this mean that the average age of a men is eqaul and literal to a few seconds to God. NO. Those mathamtical equations are not parallel. Compared to eternity a day or a life time is nothing compared to eternity in Gods eyes. That is what paul was hinting at.

Now is the earth literally a few thousand yrs old? I dont know

Has the earth been here for millions of yrs? I dont know

I know that man has only been here for around 6,000yrs starting with Adam according to the bible, but not sure about the earth.

If you read in Genesis there was an evolutionary process. First the water, next land, next water animals, next the land animals, next the birds, then when that process was complete God planted Adam in the Garden of Eden. To me this sounds like an evolutionary process. There many evolutionary examples in animals and plants. With that said I dont belive Adam and Eve evolved, even though they did come from earth. How else do you explain that all the dinosaurs buried under millions of years of lays of earth.

This proccess could have taken millions of years. Remember time is not a factor to God. A millions of years to us could be like a day to God.

You know actually, to calculate that second set of odds would involve a pretty complicated equation. You would have to figure what the life expectancy of man was 200,000 years ago, and account for the extension of it and contraction of it due to advances in civilization, natural events, and advances of medicine. As to the longer a generation lived, the slightly better its odds would be. This would be a pretty interesting problem for an algebra or computer science class...

show off :)

:b::(:emot-wave::emot-LOL:

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  2,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

How else do you explain that all the dinosaurs buried under millions of years of lays of earth.

This proccess could have taken millions of years. Remember time is not a factor to God. A millions of years to us could be like a day to God.

This means that dinosaurs died before Adam sinned. According to the Bible death and disease were the result of man's sin. So now you have death before sin, which is totally contradictory to the Bible.

show off :emot-highfive:

:emot-highfive::emot-highfive::24::24:

I always hated math in school and now I find myself in a career where I deal with it all the time. I was sitting here thinking about how one could figure such odds. From a programing perspective, it seems like you would write a for each loop, stop the counter at 1.5 million years with a cycle for every year, and for each cycle call a function that returned a value for life expectancy relative to the counter but within a reasonable range (say 33 to 95), and another one to evaluate the odds based on the predicted life expectancy of that generation. It would be a lot of code I bet to calculate it out, and that would still be a very poorly substantiated estimate.

See, you could pose this one to your algebra students next year. ;)

:emot-highfive:

show off :emot-highfive:

:24::24:;):24:

I always hated math in school and now I find myself in a career where I deal with it all the time. I was sitting here thinking about how one could figure such odds. From a programing perspective, it seems like you would write a for each loop, stop the counter at 1.5 million years with a cycle for every year, and for each cycle call a function that returned a value for life expectancy relative to the counter but within a reasonable range (say 33 to 95), and another one to evaluate the odds based on the predicted life expectancy of that generation. It would be a lot of code I bet to calculate it out, and that would still be a very poorly substantiated estimate.

See, you could pose this one to your algebra students next year. ;)

I could. And do you know what their probable response would be?

After staring at me blankly because they have not had enough Rockstar or some other terrible chemical concoction.

:emot-highfive:

And then there would be dead silence for about 5 more minutes. Then FINALLY one of them would say...

um what?

P.S. How could you hate math???????????????? I don't get it!!!! :emot-highfive:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

How else do you explain that all the dinosaurs buried under millions of years of lays of earth.

This means that dinosaurs died before Adam sinned. According to the Bible death and disease were the result of man's sin. So now you have death before sin, which is totally contradictory to the Bible.

Does the bible say that Adam sin is the result of other species death? I am not disagreeing with you, and think you have a vaild point, but do you have any scriptures that back up that adam's sin resulted in the death of other species. Maybe Adams sin resulted in mans death only not other animals. Death was passed down through the genes how could have Adams sin effected other species since they are not of the same blood, genes or species.