Nebuchadnezza10

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I have had a look at the catholic faith and have many questions about what they believe. I will be quite forward with my questions so please do not take offence. :t2:

A: View of Mary

1. Catholics teach Mary was a perpetual virgin having no other children after Jesus; Jesus had brothers & sisters: Mt 13:55,56; Mark 6:3; remained virgin only until Jesus was born: Mt 1:25

2. Catholics teach that Mary is a mediator between God and man; whereas, the scriptures reveal that Jesus is the only mediator between God and man: 1 Tim 2:5. Is this true?

I have some more questions but i thought we would start with a couple at a time.

If anyone wishes to talk about this topic on MSN please give me a Buzz.

It's a lot quicker.

Nebuchadnezza10@hotmail.com

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

And probably a lot wiser too. Plenty of ammo in that topic. But then again this is a discussion board and welcome to worthyland.

in Christ,

eric.

Guest charlie

If you are seeking answers it would be better if you go to beliefnet.com and get on the catholic forum. That way you can talk to people who are actually in that denomination. This is more of a fundamentalist forum so most of what the people here know about catholicism is what they've been fed from ministers who are anti-catholic to start with and go more on "hearsay" than actual facts.

Christianity is a middle-eastern religion, and the Bible "culture" is middle-eastern. We tend to interpret the Bible as if it were written in english, in the United States, in OUR current culture. And boy, we think WE are the FINAL authority on what it means, and we're NEVER wrong. A typical attitude for us Americans lol.

While you're over at beliefnet.com you might also want to check out the forum that the Eastern Orthodox have. It's very interesting and you'll find out things there about early christianity that you never knew, since they've been around since the time of the apostles.

That's just my suggestion for you. Good luck in your quest for truth.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

I love the catholic people do you?

Angels :t2:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

This is more of a fundamentalist forum so most of what the people here know about catholicism is what they've been fed from ministers who are anti-catholic to start with and go more on "hearsay" than actual facts.

:t2: (Has anybody told Charlie how much I hate generalizations?) While this may be true for a few of us "fundamentalists," Charlie, it is certainly not true for most of us. In this forum you will find former Catholics would can tell you first hand what Catholicism teaches, and where the RCC's teachings are in error. Furthermore, there is an abundance of information in print and on the web concerning the errors of Catholicism, and a lot of this from reliable sources.

We are not going to get into the errors of the RCC here, however. That's not the reason for my answering your reply. "Nebuchadnezza10" is free to search any resource, Catholic or otherwise, in order to formulate his own opinion. Let's just not attempt to pollute the waters. :t2:

Christianity is a middle-eastern religion, and the Bible "culture" is middle-eastern.

This is for the most part, untrue. Christianity is not of any particular culture, despite the fact that its origins are from the Middle East. Christianity spread quickly throughut the Roman Empire in the early years, even before the division of the Eastern Orthodox Church.

We tend to interpret the Bible as if it were written in english, in the United States, in OUR current culture. And boy, we think WE are the FINAL authority on what it means, and we're NEVER wrong. A typical attitude for us Americans lol.

More generalizations (And quite cynical ones at that). Well, if you're an American, I hate to be the one to break the bad news, but....you're wrong. Much of our doctrinal understanding and traditional adherance to core teachings of the Bible can be attributed to the Reformists and those that followed closely behind them. These people were mainly German and English.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

We are not going to get into the errors of the RCC here

Amen :t2:

Guest charlie

God-man, forgive me for sounding so cynical, but unfortunately that's a reflection of the nasty, know-it-all attitudes that I've seen at this forum. It's the meanest "christian" forum I've ever visited to be quite honest with you. That's why I don't come here much anymore. It seems to be more a place for people of like minds to meet and pat each other on the back and reassure each other that they're right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, and going to hell. For a friendly, interesting, and theologically open-minded discussion I end up going to other forums. But, once in a while I drop in, like today, just to see if anything has changed. I guess not. LOL

I'm well aware of the fact that Christianity spread throughout the Roman empire and eventually reached our shores. However, it did originate in the middle-east and therefore that culture, and language, is what is reflected in the Bible, NOT american culture or the english language or german or dutch languages.

reformists - I know a whole lot more about the reformists, and their MOTIVES now than I used to and I had to dig to find that. The information I gleaned was not pleasant or noble or necessarily based solely on a desire to serve God more than mammon, like I was always told. That doesn't mean it was all bad though, it just wasn't always good which is what we (protestants) all want to think. I think we often focus on the short-comings of the RCC because the information on it has been more readily available and let's face it, a lot of protestant leaders certainly aren't going to focus on the shortcomings or possible flaws in their own church. It's easier to point the finger at the other guy and I've seen plenty of RCC finger pointing here. So, imo where the "catholic" topic is concerned the waters here at worthyboards are already polluted. [para. edit, added onto]

I'm also aware that there is one ex-catholic here. Maybe there are a few more but if there are I'm not aware of it. While there's plenty of negative information about Catholicism on the web you must admit there's just as much about fundamentism or just Christianity in general on the web and elsewhere. Say what you want but I still maintain that this forum is not the place to get accuracte FACTS on Catholicism.

Yes, the poster can search here if he wants, that's up to him. I was just giving him my opinion of this place in so far as what he was seeking to find out. I also offerred him a couple of places elsewhere where he might be able to get more accurate details and explanations about the Catholic church from lots of people who are CATHOLIC. Of course if YOU want to educate him on YOUR version of Catholicism by all means go right ahead.

btw - I am American and that old-time religion that I've been spoon-fed definitely has an American twist to it....in that our "version" is the ONLY version with any authority.--- Sorry to use the generalized term "our version" since "our verson" really pertains to hundreds of protestant versions. The term "our version" implies that we have some sort of unity. It's misleading when you consider that there are hundreds of different protestant churches who have their own unique interpretations of scripture. [ this para. also edited]

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

God-man, forgive me for sounding so cynical, but unfortunately that's a reflection of the nasty, know-it-all attitudes that I've seen at this forum. It's the meanest "christian" forum I've ever visited to be quite honest with you. That's why I don't come here much anymore. It seems to be more a place for people of like minds to meet and pat each other on the back and reassure each other that they're right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, and going to hell. For a friendly, interesting, and theologically open-minded discussion I end up going to other forums. But, once in a while I drop in, like today, just to see if anything has changed. I guess not. LOL

I have experienced the exact opposite of Worthy. I have been to several

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Is there actually any catholics out there?