Natt

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  470
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I have seen this verse quoted in regards to marriage but reading it seems to apply to all unbelievers, such as close friendships etc....

2Corinthians 6

14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?

Any thoughts?

I have seen this verse quoted in regards to marriage but reading it seems to apply to all unbelievers, such as close friendships etc....

2Corinthians 6

14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?

Any thoughts?

I have to agree that it is a good principle to apply to other things than just marriage. I made the mistake of getting into an unequally yoked situation with an unsaved room mate, and things didn't turn out well. I got pulled into things I shouldn't have been doing because my room mate had an influence on me. I was the one responsible for the bad decisions, though. The room mate didn't help, though.

Now that I think about it, how can you have peace in any relationship when two people are going in opposite directions. The believer is going to be pulled toward Christ (or else he/she is going to be REALLY miserable because the are under conviction from the Holy Spirit!) and the unbeliever is going to go the world's way. I don't see a lot of common ground for a relationship, like a deep friendship, or even a romantic one.

We do need to have friendships with the unsaved, though. Living your faith in front of someone is a good way to witness, and probably the best.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

2Corinthians 6

Any thoughts?

The word Yoked is like, being married to, in business with, or living with unbelievers. I think the same could be said about close friends. Sometimes close friends become almost like family.

It is a shame but unbelievers never can be your 'good friend'.

Matthew 12:30

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  829
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/26/1943

when we have a close friend or business partner who is an unbeliever we put a doorway for Satan to have an in in our lives. And Satan is not shy, he will take every opportunity to bring injury to Christians.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

2Corinthians 6

Any thoughts?

It is a caution agains entering into binding relationships of any kind with unbelievers, where the nature of that binfing relationship might force one to have to choose between the binding relationship and ones relationship with Jesus

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  829
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/26/1943

2Corinthians 6

Any thoughts?

It is a caution agains entering into binding relationships of any kind with unbelievers, where the nature of that binfing relationship might force one to have to choose between the binding relationship and ones relationship with Jesus

Exactly. Even where there is no force involved there is always pressure to conform to things that would be not in the best interest of a Christian. Conformity is the bane of social activities in society.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/03/1951

2Corinthians 6

Any thoughts?

I would say do not get invouled in any relationship that will cause you to sin.Marriage,buisness partnerships and like arrangements for sure would be a no-no. For unbelievers at work, school, at home, and family relationships it would depend on your personal maturity as a Christian to be able to be a good testimony for Christ and not ingage with them in any SINFUL PRACTICES.I rule I follow if I dont have a needful reason to be with unbelivers then I dont keep company with them. I dont just hang out with them.

Eph 5:7 Therefore don't be partakers with them.

Eph 5:8 For you were once darkness, but are now light in the Lord. Walk as children of light,

Eph 5:9 for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth,

Eph 5:10 proving what is well pleasing to the Lord.

Eph 5:11 Have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather even reprove them.

1Co 5:9 I wrote to you in my letter to have no company with sexual sinners;

1Co 5:10 yet not at all meaning with the sexual sinners of this world, or with the covetous and extortioners, or with idolaters; for then you would have to leave the world.

1Co 5:11 But as it is, I wrote to you not to associate with anyone who is called a brother who is a sexual sinner, or covetous, or an idolater, or a slanderer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner. Don't even eat with such a person.

Guest Greg Davies

This is all good stuff!

The term unequally yoked, according to the Strongs, is to be yoked up differently or associate discordantly.

So, I guess its alright to associate with unbelievers as long as the context or parameters of the association are on issues that are agreeable. Did that make sense? :o

Anyway, I'm reminded of I Cor 5:9,10. We still have to be the light in the world. How are the unbelievers going to come to Christ without our witness. There's got to be a balance. God bless, Greg.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I would say do not get invouled in any relationship that will cause you to sin.Marriage,buisness partnerships and like arrangements for sure would be a no-no. For unbelievers at work, school, at home, and family relationships it would depend on your personal maturity as a Christian to be able to be a good testimony for Christ and not ingage with them in any SINFUL PRACTICES.I rule I follow if I dont have a needful reason to be with unbelivers then I dont keep company with them. I dont just hang out with them.

Eph 5:7 Therefore don't be partakers with them.

Eph 5:8 For you were once darkness, but are now light in the Lord. Walk as children of light,

Eph 5:9 for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth,

Eph 5:10 proving what is well pleasing to the Lord.

Eph 5:11 Have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather even reprove them.

1Co 5:9 I wrote to you in my letter to have no company with sexual sinners;

1Co 5:10 yet not at all meaning with the sexual sinners of this world, or with the covetous and extortioners, or with idolaters; for then you would have to leave the world.

1Co 5:11 But as it is, I wrote to you not to associate with anyone who is called a brother who is a sexual sinner, or covetous, or an idolater, or a slanderer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner. Don't even eat with such a person.

I'm in agreement with this. I have NO non-christian friends, nor do I want any. There is simply no commonality. I do have non-christian acquaintences which are people I know at work, or fellow parents at school events. I think it is vitally important to be a good witness of Christ to those you are acquainted with. I believe the bible is against ANY formal relationship with those who are of the world.