tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Have you ever look into what this means?

Mark 9:49 Everyone will be salted with fire. 50 "Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with each other."

Matthew 3:11 "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

Levitcus 2: 9 He shall take out the memorial portion from the grain offering and burn it on the altar as an offering made by fire, an aroma pleasing to the Lord. 10 The rest of the grain offering belongs to Aaron and his sons; it is a most holy part of the offerings made to the Lord by fire.

11 "'Every grain offering you bring to the Lord must be made without yeast, for you are not to burn any yeast or honey in an offering made to the Lord by fire. 12 You may bring them to the Lord as an offering of the firstfruits, but they are not to be offered on the altar as a pleasing aroma. 13 Season all your grain offerings with salt. Do not leave the salt of the covenant of your God out of your grain offerings; add salt to all your offerings.

(What does it mean for US to be salted with FIRE?)

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

If you look at the context of Mark 9:49 it is Jesus' description of hell. 9:48 indicates that in Hell:

where Their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.

Mark 9:48 HCSB

Salt is a preserving agent so the idea being discussed by Jesus is that not only is the punishment eternal in Hell. People who enter hell (the everyone here), will be preserved to be tormented forever.

In 9:50 says that salt should function in a different way in the life of a believer. They themselves are to be preserving agents in the world, influencing thw world arount them for good.

Here is the context of Mark 9....with regard to the "everyone". Is this referring to everyone, OR just those who will enter hell? It looks to me as if it is referring to ALL.

41 I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward. 42 "And if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck. 43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. 45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. 47 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48 where "'their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.' 49 Everyone will be salted with fire. 50 "Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with each other."

But, it is still not quite clear? Unless it is referring to His appearing, and the refiner's fire?

Malachi 3:2 But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner's fire or a launderer's soap. 3 He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the Lord will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness, 4 and the offerings of Judah and Jerusalem will be acceptable to the Lord, as in days gone by, as in former years. 5 "So I will come near to you for judgment. I will be quick to testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those who defraud laborers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless, and deprive aliens of justice, but do not fear me," says the Lord Almighty. 6 "I the Lord do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed.

Luke 21:35 For it will come upon all those who live on the face of the whole earth. 36 Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man."

Luke 12:49 "I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!

1 Cor. 3:13 his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work.

Hebrews 12:29 for our "God is a consuming fire."

1 Peter 1:7 These have come so that your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Then what is the Refiner's Fire referred to in Malachi and 1 Peter 1:7 in my above post?

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

If you look at the context of Mark 9:49 it is Jesus' description of hell. 9:48 indicates that in Hell:

Salt is a preserving agent so the idea being discussed by Jesus is that not only is the punishment eternal in Hell. People who enter hell (the everyone here), will be preserved to be tormented forever.

In 9:50 says that salt should function in a different way in the life of a believer. They themselves are to be preserving agents in the world, influencing thw world arount them for good.

Eric, you are correct. This is also talking about hell -

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

I GOT THE FIRE DOWN IN MY BONES! Jeremiah 20:9 "But His word was in my heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay". In this verse Jeremiah describes what it feels like when God has put his word into your heart. It is an unquenchable supernatural fire that never goes out as long as we remain focused on God. It is that which gives one the drive that keeps us keepin on with what ever ministry God has put in our heart to do for Him in spite of all or any adversity. It is what gives us the drive to be bold in the Lord even to the point of being executed for doing so.

I think that between verses 45 and 50 there are two kinds of fire being talked about here. In verses 45-48 the Lord is talking about the unquenchable fires of Gahenna/Hell. But in verse 49 the Lord says that "everyone" will be salted with fire. We have escaped the burning fires of hell but just as the verse says 'everyone" will be salted. So the Lord can not be talking about the hell fires of verses 45-48 because we will be salted also with fire because we are part of "everyone". We should take note that verse 49 also says that "every sacrifice shall be salted with salt". There are no sacrifices in hell so the word sacrifice is talking about the sacrifices of those who have given themselves over to the Lord to do what ever He has asked of them. These sacrifices are a sweet savour to the Lord. The fire in verse 49 is salt that the sacrifices are salted with in verse 49. And as verse 50 says "salt is good and have salt in your lives". Those who's salt is no longer salty have never done what the Lord wanted them to do or started to but stopped and became stagnant.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Mark 9:49-50

For everyone will be tested with fire. Salt is good for seasoning. But if it loses its flavor, how do you make it salty again? You must have the qualities of salt among yourselves and live in peace with each other.

Mark 9:49-50

Everyone's going through a refining fire sooner or later, but you'll be well-preserved, protected from the eternal flames. Be preservatives yourselves. Preserve the peace.

• Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

Eric, you are correct. This is also talking about hell -

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

I GOT THE FIRE DOWN IN MY BONES! Jeremiah 20:9 "But His word was in my heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay". In this verse Jeremiah describes what it feels like when God has put his word into your heart. It is an unquenchable supernatural fire that never goes out as long as we remain focused on God. It is that which gives one the drive that keeps us keepin on with what ever ministry God has put in our heart to do for Him in spite of all or any adversity. It is what gives us the drive to be bold in the Lord even to the point of being executed for doing so.

I think that between verses 45 and 50 there are two kinds of fire being talked about here. In verses 45-48 the Lord is talking about the unquenchable fires of Gahenna/Hell. But in verse 49 the Lord says that "everyone" will be salted with fire. We have escaped the burning fires of hell but just as the verse says 'everyone" will be salted. So the Lord can not be talking about the hell fires of verses 45-48 because we will be salted also with fire because we are part of "everyone". We should take note that verse 49 also says that "every sacrifice shall be salted with salt". There are no sacrifices in hell so the word sacrifice is talking about the sacrifices of those who have given themselves over to the Lord to do what ever He has asked of them. These sacrifices are a sweet savour to the Lord. The fire in verse 49 is salt that the sacrifices are salted with in verse 49. And as verse 50 says "salt is good and have salt in your lives". Those who's salt is no longer salty have never done what the Lord wanted them to do or started to but stopped and became stagnant.

I know that the idea of a refiners fire is certainly a biblical principle, but I don't see that nuance in the text. In fact it would sort of be a stray thought

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

Thanks for this post. I definitely want to know if I am, have been or are going to be salted with fire or better yet, will i know it or did i know it when it happen(s)(ed).

csi investigation:

#1 - everyone will be salted with fire

#2 - salt is good

#3 - salt has to do with covenants (salt covenants in the OT)

#4 - fire has to do with purifying and/or refining so in that sense fire is good

but to be salted ???

seasoned? taken into covenant?

seasoned when taken into covenant by means of refining fire?

i'm thinking we need a hebrew scholar for this one :emot-hug:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/03/1951

Have you ever look into what this means?

Mark 9:49 Everyone will be salted with fire. 50 "Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with each other."

Matthew 3:11 "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

Levitcus 2: 9 He shall take out the memorial portion from the grain offering and burn it on the altar as an offering made by fire, an aroma pleasing to the Lord. 10 The rest of the grain offering belongs to Aaron and his sons; it is a most holy part of the offerings made to the Lord by fire.

11 "'Every grain offering you bring to the Lord must be made without yeast, for you are not to burn any yeast or honey in an offering made to the Lord by fire. 12 You may bring them to the Lord as an offering of the firstfruits, but they are not to be offered on the altar as a pleasing aroma. 13 Season all your grain offerings with salt. Do not leave the salt of the covenant of your God out of your grain offerings; add salt to all your offerings.

(What does it mean for US to be salted with FIRE?)

In His Love,

Suzanne

If we go back to v.35 and read through to v. 50 we see Jesus is talking to his 12 disciples and preparing them for what is to come later in their lifes.

So vs. 49-50 seems to be saying to the disciples and to Christians today,that the salt is the Christians sacrifical life(Christs life in us). The grace of God flowing through us to others by the Holy Spirit. The fire is the trails, persecutions, etc. that we go through in our lives.

Rom 12:1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

2Co 2:15 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:

2Co 2:16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?

Dear Massorite,

I am in agreement with your post, that is why I included the passages from Leviticus 2:9-13, I believe it has to do with a pleasing offering. I ALSO think that because the term "ALL" was used, that was the determining factor that this passage was NOT regarding hell, but more like something that refines.

In His Love,

Suzanne