femelle

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I have been looking at the whole idea of giving, not just when we have plenty but when we have little.

The Widow of Zarephath1 Kings 17: 8-16

"Then the word of the LORD came to him, "Arise, go to Zarephath, which belongs to Sidon, and dwell there. Behold, I have commanded a widow there to feed you." So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, a widow was there gathering sticks. And he called to her and said, "Bring me a little water in a vessel, that I may drink." And as she was going to bring it, he called to her and said, "Bring me a morsel of bread in your hand." And she said, "As the LORD your God lives, I have nothing baked, only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. And now I am gathering a couple of sticks that I may go in and prepare it for myself and my son, that we may eat it and die." And Elijah said to her, "Do not fear; go and do as you have said. But first make me a little cake of it and bring it to me, and afterward make something for yourself and your son. For thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, 'The jar of flour shall not be spent, and the jug of oil shall not be empty, until the day that the LORD sends rain upon the earth.'" And she went and did as Elijah said. And she and he and her household ate for many days. The jar of flour was not spent, neither did the jug of oil become empty, according to the word of the LORD that he spoke by Elijah."

The widow had nothing much to speak of and the thing she most needed, she was asked to give away to someone else in need. Her poor status (widow, homeless, on wellfare, disabled), did not make her exempt as we would think in our natural human minds.

There are so many other incidences in scripture where God requires people to give the little they have and certainly with money, possessions, food etc... it can be uncomfortable and seem even wrong to accept a gift from a person who has so little themselves but in the light of scripture, to humbly, graciously accept, would be allowing their faith (in God) to flow through you, then from you (as you trust God to fill their lack) to God and them in thanksgiving.

In all so that God may be glorified.

Then i began to think about the emptiness in our soul. When we have grief, sickness, a lack of love, lonely, broken-hearted, whatever the dis-ease. To give away to another what we are so desperately in need of ourselves can often be the most freeing way to come through a difficult journey and be filled ourselves.

Instead of trying to procure it from others, seek out those equally in need and give to them the very thing you lack, unconditionally, expecting nothing in return. Giving without looking to other humans to fill our need but leaving God to fill the internal void.

If you are grieving, help another who is also grieving

If you are sick, reach out to people who are also sick and encourage them

If you are broken, in your pain, lend your ears to listen to another and your arms to hold them

Not in a way where you repress your pain in order to make others happy, no but give in spite of it, through it.

And through the storm, yet i will praise you

In spite it all, yet i will sing

Through good or bad, yet i will worship

You remain the same, King of Kings

You are the voice of hope, the anchor to my soul

where there seems to be no way, you make it possible

you are the prince of peace, amidst adversity

my lips will shout for joy, to you the most high

Lara Martin, alc

This is my experience in giving, what is yours?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

What beautiful thoughts!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  11/12/1972

Well, I once gave my Game Boy Advance and game to this poor kid at my church. Then several years later, I gave another Game Boy Advance (I had gotten another one) and a bunch of my games to this 10 year old girl who's house burned down.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

Well, I once gave my Game Boy Advance and game to this poor kid at my church. Then several years later, I gave another Game Boy Advance (I had gotten another one) and a bunch of my games to this 10 year old girl who's house burned down.

Jesus a boy in a small obscure villiage..given to parents who had no place but a barn to rest thier heads, who could have done anything he wanted to do but decided to teach a gospel of love to all those willing and unwilling to hear it. Who when He died had not had a place for his body to dwell. He gave His life Freely to all those who would partake of it. Riches in His fathers treasures in the heavenlies yet poor on the firm Earth, allowed that very earth to drink His Very pure blood...the purist blood the Earth will ever know. Forsaken By the Very Father, in the heavenlies, for a time That we can became partakers of His grace, of His mercy...this is the greatest sacrifice..He had no guile, no resentment for what He had to do...no anger towards a shameful people not deserving only Love, and that Love endureths..because Jesus still :) lives and remains to keep giving. Praise the Lord Jesus for His obedience,Praise the Lord for His willingness, Praise Him for his Love... Praise Him for who He is... Amen

I see a ministry developing :)

I'm useless at computer games, i do try but i'm all fingers and thumbs.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

:thumbsup: from damo1

thank you for sharing this as i am able to do this my self know wear i am able to help some one esle in need i send money to my partner in the philippines who runs and orphange and she is also a pastor i am helping out a little 10yr old girl and she know that i aslo do not have much but i send my partner any wear from 9o australian dollars to 100 dollars for this girl that is in need and this helps towards her schooling and to food and clothes and books

i never use to do this when i first became a christian until the holy spirit placed it on my heart as a couple i met in canberra took me in when i came out of jail and threw what edwin and victoria had done for me i am able to know help kiraha

its a joy doing this and i do not expect anything in return

i also do help out when i see a person hungry i have done this sevral times as well as i do not like seeing people going with out and i have noticed that by doing this the lord has blessed me

thank you for sharing this

from damo1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

I find the more I open my hand to the poor, the more the Lord opens His hand to me. :thumbsup:

I think also, it takes our mind off ourselves for a moment. I'm sure it must release something spiritually speaking although i'm hesitant to say this as i don't like to enter The Twilight Zone when i'm trying to work things out :whistling:

Edited by femelle

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  99

Amen and Amen!!

My DH and I are involved in prison Fellowship and, at present have sponsored an inmate into our home for weekend release.

It has been of the most wonderful means of "giving" for us.

Amen and Amen!!

My DH and I are involved in prison Fellowship and, at present have sponsored an inmate into our home for weekend release.

It has been of the most wonderful means of "giving" for us.

There are lots of ways i can think of to give but this one would not necessarily have jumped to the front of my mind. What an excellent idea and such a support to the people when they're due to be released :emot-highfive: