Praying in Public

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Dear Fraught, That is exactly what happened. Especially the abrupt stop. I laughed and laughed when I read your post. I want to thank everyone for your great advice. I will stop taking myself so serious. I have decided not to quit. I love my church and I am excited about this bible study. Next time we are to pray for each other I will tell them that I am new at all of this and could they pray for me to have the courage and strenght to continue on this path that the Lord is leading me down. I know one thing for sure I will learn out of this bible study is to pray in public. Yahoo.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Prayer is such an important thing, and I think that can be intimidating. Remember that God hears your heart even though your words might stumble, and you are praying to Him rather than the crowd. I have learned to not just jump right into the prayer. After the first panic that my brain goes through when asked to say a prayer, I take a short time to gather my thoughts. Then I've learned to listen to what I say and that helps me to not wander from the point of the prayer. I'm not great at praying out loud, but I am getting better. I even find myself praying fervently that I won't be the one picked to pray! Like most things, though, the more you do it the easier it gets.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

Hun I tend to aviod praying in public anytime I can. I am so embaressed to do so, and I stutter through it. It is horrible for me. LOL probably for everyone else too. When you find out what to do let me know okay????? Love ya!

Dear Godslove26, I have received alot of advice that I think is good. One person gave me a fill it in type of prayer. It goes something like this. Lord, thank you for _____. You know how concerned ______ is about _______ and I'd like to ask you to please be with her through this time. Bless her and keep her and may she feel your presence with her through this difficult time and be able to trust in you. Another gave me a prayer fromula: Praise him, ask him, thank him. Lots of people told me to pray outloud when I have private prayer with the Lord. All of these things will help me I am sure. To know that others have the same things happen to tem is such a comfort. Thank you for thinking about me and good luck to you as well.

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Here I am again, in need of more advise. Yesterday I went to a bible study and at one point we were asked to pray for the person next to us after we were told what they needed prayer for. I have never prayed in public and I am also very shy. It was also my first night at this bible study. Everyone else was so eloquent. I got all tongue tied and was embarassed. Does anyone have any practical ideas for praying in public? I really feel like not going back.

Jesus gives us the answer to your question.

Never worry about others use of eloquent words when they pray in public.

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking (Matthew 6:7).

Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him (Matthew 6:8).

Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. (Luke 18:10).

The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican (Luke 18:11).

I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess (Luke 18:12).

And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner (Luke 18:13)

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted (Luke 18:14).

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. (Matthew 6:5).

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly (Matthew 6:6).

One of Jesus's disciples asked Jesus to treach them how to pray. This is how Jesus answered him.

And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. (Luke 11:1-4).

I am not one for praying in public. Prayer is personal, private, its a conversation between me and God through Jesus, in His Name. If asked to pray to open a service or a Bible Study, keep it short and simple. "Heavenly Father, In Jesus Holy Name, we pray that the Holy Spirit guides us in our study of Your Word. Thank You Father.

If asked to pray for anyone at a service, its the same. Short and simple. "Our Father in Heaven, I ask that you bless all that are here, that you open our ears and our hearts that we understand what is being taught us this day from Your Holy Word, In Jesus Holy Name, we pray. Thats all that is required and God will hear every prayer prayed in His Son's Name.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  469
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  09/21/1967

Basically you should not be forced into doing anything you do not want to do. Ant leader or minister etc that forces you to do things you are not comfortable with are out of order.

Basically you should not be forced into doing anything you do not want to do. Ant leader or minister etc that forces you to do things you are not comfortable with are out of order.

I agree with you regarding this Andrew, Totally. Even God Himself never forces anyone to do anything.

Hazard, Thank you so much for your biblical references. That put it all into perspective for me. I love my private conversations with God. In public I will keep it short and simple as it appears that is the way Christ taught us.

Hazard, Thank you so much for your biblical references. That put it all into perspective for me. I love my private conversations with God. In public I will keep it short and simple as it appears that is the way Christ taught us.

Hi Gift of Grace.

Thanks for your response.

God bless you!

Haz.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

It is of course most important to realize that you are speaking to God and that He is hearing. However, we are to also consider our hearers. Paul teaches us that whatever we say aloud in church is to build up the church. So a public prayer should be directed to God in the Name of Jesus with all attention given to Our Heavenly Father but there needs to be an awareness of those listening that what is said is upbuilding to the church. Think of a conversation. In conversation only one is speaking but more are listening.

And another requirement of public prayer is to have been praying in private. Private prayer gives us the anointing needed in public prayer.

It is such a privilege to pray. And although I think most of us would like for our prayers to be "picture perfect", it is just not going to be that way. All that others want is that reality of the Spirit and to know that you are truly addressing God. Perfect sentence structure has nothing to do with it.

Also praying scripture is very helpful and usually anointed by the Spirit and so uplifting. For instance you might pray, "Father thank you so much in the Name of Jesus for being our Shepherd and for never leaving us or forsaking us." As you pray the scripture particularly when you put it in the thanksgiving mode it is upbuilding to the group, upbuilding to yourself, and pleasing to God because it is His Word in the first place. And it is something you can truly pray in faith. And as we know we cannot please God without faith!

Well, It is a joy to pray within a group setting. May you grow and go in confidence in the Lord and his Word as you pray with the others.