• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

According to scripture we are to beware of false prophets. How can we beware of them unless we can say that one is a false prophet?

exactly!

In His Love,

Suzanne

Not really that "exact"...

We better be careful when making a judgement regarding another brother's motives. [Matthew 7:2] Too often a person is wrongly branded as a false prophet, I think, out of a sincere concern that even the elect will possibly be misled. [Matthew 24:24] Regardless, we don't need to focus on the individual and personality so much but rather focus on the message and why it is false. ALL prophetic utterances should be measured against the Word of God. [2 Timothy 3:16] Very rarely did Jesus call out individuals by name (not the same as confronting) and brother Paul only did it on two occasions that I recall. Does that mean, with all the gnostics, judaizers and pagans who had infiltrated the early church, that there were just a handful of false prophets and deceivers? :noidea: Why were they not all called out by name? Maybe we need to expose the falseness of the message as it relates and is measured against the Word of God.

I do believe strongly that we need to expose false teaching! I do believe strongly that we need to be immersed in the Word of God so that we are not taken in with heretical doctrines! I do not believe it is appropriate or even necessary to sit around in fellowship and focus on personalities. I do not need to know the liar to know what is a lie.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you ever receive a prophecy that does not agree with your heart, throw it out.

God Bless

Not true. The prophets of the OT were very seldom received well, because their message didn't make the people "feel good".

Paul was stoned, and it wasn't because the people were in agreement with him.

In His Love,

Suzanne

I agree. The heart is NOT the measure of TRUTH but only the Word of God is. Does it line up with the Word of God? That is the ONLY true and accurate measure.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I love all the discussion on what qualifies a false prophet as being "false." It is great infromation, the verses are also great.

However, I am wondering why (and some have given some insight already) is there not more of an outrage against false prophets. To make my point why is there not more outrage against people like, Benny Hinn, Stan and Leslie Johnson, who are false prophets.

I love all the discussion on what qualifies a false prophet as being "false." It is great infromation, the verses are also great.

However, I am wondering why (and some have given some insight already) is there not more of an outrage against false prophets. To make my point why is there not more outrage against people like, Benny Hinn, Stan and Leslie Johnson, who are false prophets.

Like I mentioned already, I do not believe it is appropriate or even necessary to sit around in fellowship and focus on personalities. Paul didn't do it. Not even Jesus did it. I do not need to know the liar to know what is a lie. IF everyone immersed themselves in the Word of God, just like the Bereans did, there would be no need for concern, would there? :blink:

I would have agreed with you a few years back but I have lost interest in exposing anyone and am more focused on God's TRUTH.

When Paul was imprisoned, he wrote a letter to the Philippians and in it he wrote, "Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly. It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice."

Where are the names? We want names!!! Who are those who preach out of envy, rivalry and selfish ambition??? I must know so I don't fall prey to their deception!!! Wait...but Paul rejoices? At least they preached Christ? Is Paul off his rocker? ...or is he focused more on his witness and the effect it has on the palace guards? We need to learn from Paul's example and 1st...focus on Jesus Christ and His Gospel message...and 2nd ---on ourselves, nothing more than workmen for Christ. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

So if you ever receive a prophecy that does not agree with your heart, throw it out.

God Bless

Not true. The prophets of the OT were very seldom received well, because their message didn't make the people "feel good".

In His Love,

Suzanne

I agree. The heart is NOT the measure of TRUTH but only the Word of God is. Does it line up with the Word of God? That is the ONLY true and accurate measure.

Also depending on how people feel in response to a teaching is not a good barometer in determining its truthfulness.

God Bless

In His Love,

Suzanne

Also depending on how people feel in response to a teaching is not a good barometer in determining its truthfulness.

Amen! ...which is why the Bereans listened intently to what Paul had to say but went home and measured it against Scripture. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Like I mentioned already, I do not believe it is appropriate or even necessary to sit around in fellowship and focus on personalities. Paul didn't do it. Not even Jesus did it. I do not need to know the liar to know what is a lie. IF everyone immersed themselves in the Word of God, just like the Bereans did, there would be no need for concern, would there? :thumbsup:

I would have agreed with you a few years back but I have lost interest in exposing anyone and am more focused on God's TRUTH.

When Paul was imprisoned, he wrote a letter to the Philippians and in it he wrote, "Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly. It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice."

Where are the names? We want names!!! Who are those who preach out of envy, rivalry and selfish ambition??? I must know so I don't fall prey to their deception!!! Wait...but Paul rejoices? At least they preached Christ? Is Paul off his rocker? ...or is he focused more on his witness and the effect it has on the palace guards? We need to learn from Paul's example and 1st...focus on Jesus Christ and His Gospel message...and 2nd ---on ourselves, nothing more than workmen for Christ. :thumbsup:

Excellent post Wayne! :blink:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

Paul also said:

Acts 20:26 Therefore, I declare to you today that I am innocent of the blood of all men. 27 For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God. 28 Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood. 29 I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30 Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. 31 So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears.

(Do you really think that when these deceivers came among them, that the believers were supposed to keep it a secret as to who they were? It wouldn't have served much purpose to warn them about decievers, if it was going to be kept a secret.)

I also find it interesting that he follows it up with the fact that he/Paul, was not using them to gain financially(covet), but that He/Paul, had a side job in order to support himself, rather than TAKE from the flock.

Acts 20:32 "Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified. 33 I have not coveted anyone's silver or gold or clothing. 34 You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. 35 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"

36 When he had said this, he knelt down with all of them and prayed. 37 They all wept as they embraced him and kissed him. 38 What grieved them most was his statement that they would never see his face again. Then they accompanied him to the ship.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

Another note about identifying:

Romans 16:17 I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. 18 For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people.

How about Jude 4?

4 For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.

We need to understand that we are in the times of the "Last Days", and we need to warn of those who are deceiving the flock.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Ah,,er...um,why do we need modern day prophets anyway? Hasn't God made it clear enough what to expect in His word, but then some people like to puff themselves up a bit I suppose. All so-called prophets today can do is to read from the word as the holy spirit directs to act as a remember as to what will happen.JMO.