Chiquita

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I want to just give this testimony. For me, the turning point/clencher was this:

Romans 14:14 I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil; 17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. 19 So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another. 20 Do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are clean, but they are evil for the man who eats and gives offense. 21 It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles. 22 The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.

I began to have doubts about my own drinking, in light of the alcoholism. So it became sin for me.

Especially knowing what was happening with regard to alcoholism with my own family members, I could no longer convince myself that drinking was alright. It wasn't, and in my heart, I knew it. I knew that alcoholism was affecting many in this day and time. God's Word then compelled me to do something different, because I believed what He said, and I knew that I needed to care for the welfare of others as well as myself.

I really enjoyed wine, but Jesus Himself said:

Matthew 26:29 I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom."

I decided I would wait and drink wine in the day when there was no alcoholism and drunkenness.....when we drink it "anew".

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drinking one beer or a glass of wine with a meal does not bother me and certainly it is not a sin. However we should not do it around those who have an alcohol addiction however and we must not be drunk. If we can't do that, we should not drink alcohal at all.

Personally, I theink it's safer to never take the first drink. You don't find out you are an alcoholic and can't stop til you take the first drink.

I agree kat, not to mention, that those who are struggling with alcoholism, are not easily identified at first. It is only after they are far into the sin that it becomes identifiable. That is why drinking/social drinking is such a stumbling block. I can't tell you how many times, that I took a drink around those who had no idea that for me, that 1 drink would affect the whole way of my evening. These were family members and some friends who were "social" drinking around me AND my mother, not knowing that it was a terrible stumbling block. They did not realize how much, until further down the road, and even then, they were not quickly accomodating in regard to social drinking, and NOT doing it around us.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Also, in regard to:

Romans 14:14 I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil; 17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. 19 So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another. 20 Do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are clean, but they are evil for the man who eats and gives offense. 21 It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles. 22 The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.

1 Cor. 10:23 "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive. 24 Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.

1 Cor. 10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God-- 33 even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.

In His Love,

Suzanne

I think it is SO VITAL to begin to believe what is written below and heed the warning:

Galatians 5:19 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Empty words are becoming the downfall of the believers of today.

Ephesians 5:5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person--such a man is an idolater--has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7 Therefore do not be partners with them.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Guest Biblicist
Ok, here is my question. If we have a sin such as alcoholism for example (while no sin is greater than another, right?) and we can't repent yet we are believers of the Lord, will we still go to heaven if we die? Knowing and having a relationship with the Lord but never being able to repent from one sin that really has a hold on us, do we still go to heaven? Or do we have to repent from everything in order to get there? I'm not trying to get an okay to sin here, please don't get me confused. I'm asking a legitimate question that I always ponder on. I know many Christians that can't kick the habit of say smoking and drinking. Do they still go to heaven?

Back to the original questions. In Paul's letter to the Ephesians he gives us instructions for getting rid of old sinful habits.

Ephesians4:22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

To rid yourself of old sinful habits you must adopt new habits in their place. Humans don't like voids, if you just try to drop a bad habit without replacing it with a good one, the space will be filled by something else, or even the old bad habit. The BEST habit to get into to help you remove old sinful ones is reading God's word. Pretty soon you will hunger and thirst for God's word [as long as you pray for that] and you will not longer crave the things of the world.

About your last question.....Do they still go to heaven? Enterance into heaven is NOT dependant upon OUR actions, but the sacrafice of Christ upon the Cross. Christ is our salvation, not what we do.

Hebrews 4:11 He [Jesus] is

" 'the stone you builders rejected,

which has become the capstone.'

12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

God has given us everything we need in His Word to help fight against Satan and his lies.....Hold fast to Jesus Christ and he will show you the way.

1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/05/1975

I believe if you die while in the midst of a struggle with any sin, you will go to heaven. We are all struggling with some sin at all times, at least I am. The point is, are you asking God's help and trying to get the sin out of your life or just indulging the sin? We can't work our way to heaven, but we can't just indulge sin, either.

It sounds to me like you are asking if we had to have conquered every sin and be perfect, and that will never be the case this side of heaven.

That's exactly what I was asking. i just couldn't word it correctly. Thank you!

I'm not an alcoholic, I was just using it as an example because my mother is and shes a Christian.

Be sure to use God's Word to make right decisions, and not opinions, because opinions don't count.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  11/05/1975

To rid yourself of old sinful habits you must adopt new habits in their place. Humans don't like voids, if you just try to drop a bad habit without replacing it with a good one, the space will be filled by something else, or even the old bad habit. The BEST habit to get into to help you remove old sinful ones is reading God's word. Pretty soon you will hunger and thirst for God's word [as long as you pray for that] and you will not longer crave the things of the world.

About your last question.....Do they still go to heaven? Entrance into heaven is NOT dependent upon OUR actions, but the sacrifice of Christ upon the Cross. Christ is our salvation, not what we do.

Okay, then let me ask you this. Scripture is always talking about the Lord dealing with sinful people. Things like, he will silence slanderers and things of that nature. If these people that he speaks of is a Christian (lukewarm), and has accepted the Lord as their savior but still doesn't fully understand what it means to be a Christian and they do something bad to another Christian, thats when God says he will deal with them right? So isn't this the same as paying for your sins?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Well, don't we have to be worthy of heaven? I mean, say I fight and fight against a certain sin and in the middle of my struggle, I pass away. Do I go to heaven because at least I was trying? I'm a Christian, without a doubt. I'm not speaking of alcoholism as a problem. I'm using it as an example. I'm just very confused about this. Of course its not easy to repent of certain things as they really give us a struggle but what if we never do with our bodies even though our hearts have repented from the sin? :24: Like I said, what if I die in the middle of struggling with a certain sin?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Ok, here is my question. If we have a sin such as alcoholism for example (while no sin is greater than another, right?) and we can't repent yet we are believers of the Lord, will we still go to heaven if we die? Knowing and having a relationship with the Lord but never being able to repent from one sin that really has a hold on us, do we still go to heaven? Or do we have to repent from everything in order to get there? I'm not trying to get an okay to sin here, please don't get me confused. I'm asking a legitimate question that I always ponder on. I know many Christians that can't kick the habit of say smoking and drinking. Do they still go to heaven?

First of all the desision to sent anyone to heaven or hell is resurved for God only and for us to say that this one or that one is or is not going to heaven is a sin. "You shall not judge". It is not a sin to judge whether or not someone is a stone cold sinner or not nor is it a sin to judge whether someone is wrong or not.

But I can tell you that in 1Corinthians 6:9-10 there is a list of those who will not "inherit" the kingdom of God and the word "drunkards" is on the list.