• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/05/1975

Ok, here is my question. If we have a sin such as alcoholism for example (while no sin is greater than another, right?) and we can't repent yet we are believers of the Lord, will we still go to heaven if we die? Knowing and having a relationship with the Lord but never being able to repent from one sin that really has a hold on us, do we still go to heaven? Or do we have to repent from everything in order to get there? I'm not trying to get an okay to sin here, please don't get me confused. I'm asking a legitimate question that I always ponder on. I know many Christians that can't kick the habit of say smoking and drinking. Do they still go to heaven?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Difficult question. From one point of view its about the presence of one particular sin. But from another, its the unwillingness to part with it? I think maybe then.. the answer would be no. But Jesus did pay the price for all our sins.. but if you hang on to Sin unwilling to part from it.. it means you are hardening your heart to God. So I belive this would be why you could not go to heaven.

I'm not trying to condemn you, from my understanding this is what it means to me because I have the same issue going on right now and I'm trying to tear them down with God's help! I know however, that when you resist a sin (even if you succumb to it after a while) it gets easier and EASIER to rid yourself from it. Just PRAY and ask God to help you part with it!

Just to clarify how I see it from my understanding. If you refuse to part with some sin, you are making a choice to go against God so though HE is Loving you, he will let you have your free will do something even if it means walking to you know where.. unless of course you Pray and ask him to stop you from making bad decisions!

Edited by Blien

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

We go to Heaven because Christ died on the cross and arose from the dead. If you believe that and have accepted Him as your Lord and Saviour, then you will go to Heaven.

We are all sinners saved by grace. There is nothing we can do to earn our way to Heaven. Christ did it all. But once you have accepted Christ and recognize a sin in your life you need to repent of it. I know that is easier said than done. When Christ walked this earth He talked with many who were caught up in sin. There was the woman who was caught in adultry, Matthew was a tax collector (a pretty sleazy way to make a living in those days), there was the woman at the well. Actually, everyone was caught up in one sin or another. But Jesus never left a person in their sin. When talking to the woman that the Pharisees were trying to get Him to condem for adultery, after they had all gone (because Jesus had told them that the one who was without sin could cast the first stone) John tells it this way

"When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." John 8:10-11.

Well, of course she sinned some more, we all do. But the point is, we need to let Jesus change us.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  11/05/1975

Well, don't we have to be worthy of heaven? I mean, say I fight and fight against a certain sin and in the middle of my struggle, I pass away. Do I go to heaven because at least I was trying? I'm a Christian, without a doubt. I'm not speaking of alcoholism as a problem. I'm using it as an example. I'm just very confused about this. Of course its not easy to repent of certain things as they really give us a struggle but what if we never do with our bodies even though our hearts have repented from the sin? :thumbsup: Like I said, what if I die in the middle of struggling with a certain sin?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

damo1

high Chiquita

let me say this we have his assurance that we will go to heaven when he comes for us being in recovery my self i had to deal with this as it was not doing me any good but i know of a lot of christians that do drink and are strong leaders with in the church as well my old pastor even has a glass of port or whisky as it does not say any wear in the bible that it is a sin

for some they wil never have the same problems as most as for me it is a big problem and i had to ask god to help me and he has helped me deal with this problem as this is what the holy spirit bought up to the surface for me to deal with its sort of a personal thing chiquita and it was not just alcahol but i had an addiction to herroin and even speed and pot

unless god is bringing this up threw the holy spirit who is in you then do not ignore it but alow this to be dealt with yet you wil even find that those you know who are christians will tell you this its a personal thing

and i do not think god will judge us for this read Colossians 2 on freedom from human regulation through life with christ

we are though to be care full though that the exerise of our freedom does not become a stumbling block to some one else

1 corinthian 10 the beleivers freedom

23 Everything is permisable but not everything is benifical Everything is permisable but not everythin is constructive

24 no body should seek his own good but the good of others

24 eat everyhting sold in the meat market with out rasing questions of concscience

25 for the earth is the lords and everything is in it

read the hole of 1 corinthians 10 or you can read from verse 23 =33

this is all paul even instructs us on and does not say we should avoide this do not let no one confuse you as their are plenty of them about i do not judge those christians i know who drink and they in the same respect help me in my own recovery

so i hope this has helped

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Ok, here is my question. If we have a sin such as alcoholism for example (while no sin is greater than another, right?) and we can't repent yet we are believers of the Lord, will we still go to heaven if we die? Knowing and having a relationship with the Lord but never being able to repent from one sin that really has a hold on us, do we still go to heaven? Or do we have to repent from everything in order to get there? I'm not trying to get an okay to sin here, please don't get me confused. I'm asking a legitimate question that I always ponder on. I know many Christians that can't kick the habit of say smoking and drinking. Do they still go to heaven?

We always need to go to the source to answer our questions. What does God say in His Word about it?

1 Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:19 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

Ephesians 5:5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person--such a man is an idolater--has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7 Therefore do not be partners with them.

Knowing and having a relationship with the Lord but never being able to repent from one sin that really has a hold on us, do we still go to heaven?

1 Cor. 10:......12 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! 13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 14 Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry.

15 I speak to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say.

(Many of us do not heed the fact that in ALL of the above, there is no asterisk before each verse, saying "unless you've asked Jesus into your heart, then this does not apply". It is very clear, that is why it is stated as a warning!)

In His Love,

Suzanne

damo1

1 corinthian 10 the beleivers freedom

23 Everything is permisable but not everything is benifical Everything is permisable but not everythin is constructive

24 no body should seek his own good but the good of others

24 eat everyhting sold in the meat market with out rasing questions of concscience

25 for the earth is the lords and everything is in it

read the hole of 1 corinthians 10 or you can read from verse 23 =33

this is all paul even instructs us on and does not say we should avoide this do not let no one confuse you as their are plenty of them about i do not judge those christians i know who drink and they in the same respect help me in my own recovery

so i hope this has helped

Dear damo,

To omit the 1st portion of 1 Corinthians 10, is very dangerous! You need to be sure and heed the warning that was given there, BEFORE you start promoting believer's freedoms!

1 Cor. 10:1 For I do not want you to be ignorant of the fact, brothers, that our forefathers were all under the cloud and that they all passed through the sea. 2 They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. 3 They all ate the same spiritual food 4 and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ. 5 Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them; their bodies were scattered over the desert.

6 Now these things occurred as examples to keep us from setting our hearts on evil things as they did. 7 Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written: "The people sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in pagan revelry." 8 We should not commit sexual immorality, as some of them did--and in one day twenty-three thousand of them died. 9 We should not test the Lord, as some of them did--and were killed by snakes. 10 And do not grumble, as some of them did--and were killed by the destroying angel. 11 These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come. 12 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! 13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 14 Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry.

15 I speak to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Dear Chaquita,

BELIEVE your signature line:

Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

:cool::whistling:

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  624
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  11/21/1952

In MHO I believe that people with alcohalism do go to heaven. Sometimes the addiction is so strong that the only way God can deliver them is for God to take them home with Him. Such was the case of my MIL. She had diabetes, was addicted to alcohal and developed gangrene on her foot. She was admitted to the hospital for pneumonia and gangrene. I would go to visit her and would ask her if she wanted to pray with me or do anything like accepting Jesus as her Savior. For days and days I would get excuses like...."I'm too tired"....."not today"...etc.

Finally her kidneys were shutting down as well as other major organs in her body. This time I told her that I did not think she had many more days to live and would she like to pray the sinners prayer with me. Although she couldn't talk she nodded her head yes and so we prayed. That was the last time she was conscious. When she finally expired I believe that she was in heaven with God.

In His Love,

Kathy