IGNORED

I used the word "faith" in my science class...

nebula

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

:noidea:

i am sure the faithees in the class were happy to hear u say that. i know if i were in ur class, i'd have grinned a grin that u aint never seen before! :thumbsup:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

:wub:

i am sure the faithees in the class were happy to hear u say that. i know if i were in ur class, i'd have grinned a grin that u aint never seen before! :noidea:

Faithees, Is that a new word? Lets rewrite the dictionary and make sure it is in there :mgfrog:

God Bless,

K.D.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

:wub:

i am sure the faithees in the class were happy to hear u say that. i know if i were in ur class, i'd have grinned a grin that u aint never seen before! :noidea:

Faithees, Is that a new word? Lets rewrite the dictionary and make sure it is in there :mgfrog:

God Bless,

K.D.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Think of the Christian students in the classroom who are probably beaten over the head all the time by their atheist professors who hear one indicate that you CAN pursue a science based career AND be of faith.

If you ever were to be persecuted for your faith....just think of the jewels in your crown Neb. :th_praying:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Um, lol. First off, the faculty probably never heard of it. Second off, the word "faith" is accepted, just not when talking about Christianity. I realize that you probably understand this. Just pointing it out :whistling: .

Anyways, yes; be bold with the gospel, but be careful...

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.74
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.84
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

LOL -

Well, the head of the Biology division is a Jew (by faith and practice as well as heritage), the head of the Anatomy & Physiology division is Catholic, the secretary for the Science & Tech. department head has a Scripture verse on her desk, . . . .

• Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

LOL -

Well, the head of the Biology division is a Jew (by faith and practice as well as heritage), the head of the Anatomy & Physiology division is Catholic, the secretary for the Science & Tech. department head has a Scripture verse on her desk, . . . .

In that case you should be able to walk into class and say "Today we are going to look at the marvelous way God has constructed the human body" without much trouble. :whistling:

• 2 months later...
Guest salvine
I'd hate to see someone of intelligence level get the boot for something so trivial.

It woked, though!

:thumbsup:

I noticed in our every day lives as Christians we have openings to confess Christ to the world. Whether directly or indirect use every conversation as soil in planting the seed of salvation . Gods devine blessings is the reward 4 obedience many believe few obey. And why so many do go astray transgress-Christians who continuosly confess stay blessed.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.74
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.84
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Sorry - I didn't see this was posted before.

I'm sure you are aware that A&P lab is not the place for instilling faith in people. Students came to that lab in an attempt to learn about the human body, not to learn unsuspectingly about faith. You were no doubt trying to be sneaky in slipping in that little gem, I mean look at your post title. You can't trick people into believing.

LOL

And what do you mean by "faith?"

I used it as an expression to trust and believe that a structure exists on the slide even though you cannot see it because science says it is there.

How does the use of my use of "faith" mean that I was trying to sneak religion into the classroom.

If you were teaching the lab, and you knew the students had to draw and label a structure that is there but may not actually be seen for what it is (knowing that several students are confused by this), how would you make this unclear to them - that they can draw and label what they cannot see?

And the type of faith you referred to is not the same as religious faith.

I know that! :emot-highfive:

Did I say anything to indicate otherwise? Or did you assume this?

Actually, my point was to show that "faith" is not just a religious term. :D

Are you at UMBC by any chance?

Run away! Run away! Aaaaaaaah!

(Sorry, I got fed up with UMBC - long story)

No, I'm at Howard Community College.

Guest Charles-Darwin
...and I got away with it! :noidea:

I am a lab instructor for Anatomy & Physiology.

In this particular lab, I was teaching my students histology (histology = the study of tissues, that is tissues of the body . . . just in case some smart alec out there wants to make a reference to Kleenex or something :emot-hug: ). The focus was on Epithelial tissue (the tissues that line the inside and outside of organs) and Connective tissue (the tissue that bind and supports). Epithelial tissue will rest "on top of" Connective tissue. In between the two is a substance called Basement Membrane that acts as a "glue" to bind the two tissues together.

The instructions for this lab were for the students to draw the tissues form microscopic images and label certain components, including the basement membrane.

In my Power Point presentation, there were some images where you could see the basement membrane, and there were others where it could not be seen. I explained to them that they may not always see the basement membrane on their particular slides either, but they needed to label it anyway (for that is what the directions stated for to them to do - DISCLAIMER: I am not the one who created these direction. :emot-hug: )

However, this brought confusion to several my students. How could they label a structure they could not see?

At first, I tried to explain that if they know the basement membrane exists between the two tissues, all they needed to do was to draw a line to where it is supposed to be.

They still didn't get it.

So, finally, I said, "Basically, even if the basement membrane does not show up in the particular slide sample, accept by faith that it is there, and draw a line to it."

They seemed to have gotten it then. :emot-hug:

I'm sure you are aware that A&P lab is not the place for instilling faith in people. Students came to that lab in an attempt to learn about the human body, not to learn unsuspectingly about faith. You were no doubt trying to be sneaky in slipping in that little gem, I mean look at your post title. You can't trick people into believing. And the type of faith you referred to is not the same as religious faith. When doing science or say a mathematical proof you start with a postulate or a set of axioms and see what comes out. After all the conclusions have been drawn the postulates themselves are called into question to see if the theory needs any more refinement. If it does, then the postulates are altered and the process repeated. This is completely different than religious faith which has no vetting process. There is no way, besides dying, to test the postulates (The Bible). Just because our vernacular uses the same word to describe two different things, you should be smart enough to be able to tell the two apart.

The fact that we are religious in our personal lives (yours truly included) does not mean we should bring it into the halls of higher education. Are you at UMBC by any chance?

Quote for truth

Edited by Charles-Darwin