• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Pat Robertson Endorses Giuliani

Pat Robertson, one of the most influential figures in the social conservative movement, announced his support for Rudy Giuliani's presidential bid this morning at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.

Robertson's endorsement of Giuliani is a significant blow to Mitt Romney, who has worked hard to court evangelical leaders. Above, Robertson speaks to the Christian Coalition in 1999. (File photo: James A. Parcell - The Washington Post)Robertson's support was coveted by several of the leading Republican candidates and provides Giuliani with a major boost as the former New York City mayor seeks to convince social conservatives that, despite his positions on abortion and gay rights, he is an acceptable choice as the GOP nominee.

It also slows any momentum for Mitt Romney within the social conservative movement. Romney had recently secured the backing of conservative stalwarts Paul Weyrich and Bob Jones III -- endorsements that seemed to strengthen his bid to become the electable conservative alternative to Giuliani. Romney had made no secret of his desire for Robertson's endorsement and has to be disappointed this morning.

The other major effect of Robertson's support for Giuliani is that it will quiet talk in social conservative circles that nominating Giuliani would lead "values voters" to abandon the Republican Party. The stamp of approval from Robertson should assuage the doubts of many (although certainly not all) of the rank-and-file social conservatives.

Robertson is widely viewed as one of the pillars of the religious right. He founded the Christian Broadcasting Network, the Christian Coalition and Regent University in Virginia Beach. Robertson ran for president in 1988, finishing a surprising second in the Iowa caucuses before losing steam in later states. In recent years, Robertson has drawn considerable controversy for comments made about homosexuality.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

If there ever was positive evidence of the Religious Right being a complete sham, this is it. Here we have the de-facto leader of a group that claims its entire reason for the political movement is to bring back what they see as Christian values into politics. So, for 30 years now they have consistently used abortion and now homosexuality as a wedge issue. Consistently arguing that no Christian should vote for any pro-choice and or pro-gay rights candidate.

So now, who do they endorse, a Pro-Abortion and Pro-Gay Rights candidate. There is not a hairs worth of difference between Guiliani and Ted Kennedy on those two issues. It is now plain as day to anyone that the Religious Right movement is nothing but a political movement intended to give guys like Robertson political power. It has never had anything to do with Christianity. To many of the leaders of the Religious Right, Christianity is nothing but a divisive wedge to be used for political advantage. They don't care about the abortion issue or what they refer to as the gay and lesbian agenda no more than what they can be used as a wedge to divide voters. In the end though, their lust for power is all that the care about as demonstrated so well by Robertson's endorsement of a pro-abortion, pro-gay rights candidate.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

How do you see him, or anyone, as gaining power from this?

What planet are you on? Pat Robertson yields plenty of power with social conservatives. These guys make calls to the White house on a weekly basis. The reason why he is endorsing Guiliani is that he figures Guiliani will be the nominee, thus he wants a place at the table in the Guiliani White house assuming he was elected.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I couldn't care less what ONE Evangelical's presidential endorsement is. He can be the so-called voice for the religious right all he wants, but he doesn't speak for me (yes I am of the majority here- Christian and Conservative, or "religious right").

• Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

I don't consider myself a complete sham...

a little shammy but definately not a complete sham.... :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

If there ever was positive evidence of the Religious Right being a complete sham, this is it.

I'm a little curious about what your response would be if I said, "Al Gore's house is less energy-efficient than GW Bush's... that plus his insistence on using a private jet to travel PROVES that this whole global warming thing is a total power grab."

Oh, wait... I know what the response would be, because we've seen it. Let's not generalize based on one guy about whom the rest of the "Religious Right" is probably scratching their heads...

If there ever was positive evidence of the Religious Right being a complete sham, this is it.

I'm a little curious about what your response would be if I said, "Al Gore's house is less energy-efficient than GW Bush's... that plus his insistence on using a private jet to travel PROVES that this whole global warming thing is a total power grab."

Oh, wait... I know what the response would be, because we've seen it. Let's not generalize based on one guy about whom the rest of the "Religious Right" is probably scratching their heads...

When I say Religious Right, I mean its leadership and founders, not the average socially conservative voter. When guys like Robertson spend the last 30 years telling everyone that a Christian can't in good conscious vote for someone who is pro-choice and pro-gay rights, then endorses a guy who is as pro-choice and pro-gay rights as a liberal Democrat is, then he is showing his true colors.

As to Al Gore, I have said it many times, he is a hypocrite.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  445
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  06/03/1974

All the more reason not to vote for Guiliani and to vote for Romney.

Edited by Shad

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

What planet are you on? Pat Robertson yields plenty of power with social conservatives. These guys make calls to the White house on a weekly basis. The reason why he is endorsing Guiliani is that he figures Guiliani will be the nominee, thus he wants a place at the table in the Guiliani White house assuming he was elected.

You are probably right about Robertson's motives in endorsing Guiliani, forrest. I have to admit I was pretty surprised when I heard this on the news today. But, in the end, I don't think Robertson represents the average right leaning Christian. In fact, some of the things he says and does make me think he's on his own little lily pad most of the time. :emot-bounce: