• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

i lost my little chihuaha in may. it's still difficult to cook myself an egg without her there to cook one for too. but i think i'm ready to have another little buddy around the house. (pretty quiet around here with just my husband and me)

i had planned to get another small breed but just lately it keeps crossing my mind to have a big dog. i do now have a large yard but of course there are pros and cons to a big dog. mainly taking it places and also the difficulty of getting a dog sitter if needed. hmmmm.

what i'm mainly wondering is about a small breed that would take well to another dog being introduced into my home later on. if any of you all have experiences to share about this or about any positive or negative experiences you've had with various breeds, i would appreciate it very much. (the 2 dogs i had previously were given to me so it's the first time i have gone out to get a dog by choice. it's not easy, is it?)

i had planned to have this dog picked out and picked up by tomorrow morning since i have 3 days off work in a row for us to get used to each other. i've checked out various animal shelters in a 50-mile radius. i'm considering just taking a drive and see if 'love at first sight' will work for me. so my 2nd question is if any one has done this and how it worked out for you.

any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

First off, that is AWESOME that you are seeking a dog from a shelter!!!! :whistling: All of our pets come from either shelters or breed rescues. By the way, breed rescues do not have ONLY purebreds, although most of their dogs will be purebred. Our Henry is a mixed breed and comes from a greyhound rescue.

I for one prefer larger couch potato breeds. That's why I chose a greyhound mix last time. :whistling: We adopted Henry sight unseen. I fell in love with him just through pictures. Henry was in a foster home, so that gave us the advantage of already knowing what he was like in a home environment. Henry is EXACTLY what we were looking for.

Have you given any thought as to what kind of breed you think you might be interested in? What are you looking for? Going to a dog park might be a good way to familairize yourself with other breeds and see what you like. :whistling:

In your third paragraph, did you mean how a small dog might take to a large dog? I'll wait till you answer these questions, and then I will reply again.

Also, most shelters will be more than glad to help you choose the right dog as they want a succesful adoption. I have been to one shelter though where they just did not know what they were talking about. They tried to get me to adopt a Rhodesian Ridgeback who looked totally purebred except lacking the ridge, and they insisted it was a lab possibly mixed with Great Dane and would get along great with children. Ridgebacks are known to snap at small children and we had a 2 yr old at the time. I asked if they knew what Rhodesian Ridgebacks were, they said no. I suggested they research the breed a bit. A decent shelter is clean, walks all the dogs daily and has a mandatory spay/neuter program.

• Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

I vote BOSTON TERRIER!

Both of ours are 'rescue dogs.'

I vote BOSTON TERRIER!

Both of ours are 'rescue dogs.'

:whistling:

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Our babies are pound puppies, and I wouldn't dream of getting a dog anywhere other than a shelter or pound. We've loved them! My baby shown on my profile came from a shelter. Just remember, the shelters have gotten pretty demanding in terms of adopting (it's seems almost as hard to adopt a dog as it is a child these days...I think that's weird?) Anyway, we love our rat terrier and schnauzer. Both breeds seem to be extremely intelligent and loyal. I would always recommend a shelter/pound puppy. Just be sure that you've thought about baby-sitting for those times when you want to leave town, or consider a small dog that you can take with you?

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

Get a weenie (dachshund). hey are onry and rotten, but sooo fun. My neighbor rescued a weenie begal mix...I call her a low riding weenie begal.

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

(did I read that right?)

A weenie/bagel???

:emot-hug:

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

If everything goes okay, I will probably be adopting a Whippet here pretty soon if I can get all the details worked out. :emot-hug: