• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/22/1962

Hello again everyone,

So, what do you believe about MDR and why do you believe it? I do have some pretty strong beliefs on this issue but of course am open to learning more and especially being corrected. It's a controversial issue, but I hope that we can share with grace and mutual respect.

Blessings,

Sherman

Scripture has been given to us as to what God's mind and judgments are on how we are to live our lives before him and that trumps whatever anybody feels or thinks to the contrary.

Matthew 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Matthew 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Luke 16:18 Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

These scriptures address both the man and the woman.

The only 2 things that release anybody out of marriage are death and fornication. If we divorce our spouses for anything outside of that and either of us remarry anybody else we are living in adultery.

So, basically, if I divorce my wife because we can't get along anymore, or anything else but fornication, and get remarried to somebody else then I am in adultery because in God's eyes I am still married to my previous wife.

Romans 7:2-3 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

This law is the law of marriage.

Well, cardcaptor, I can see we have a lot to discuss, especially what Jesus said. Sadly, if one does not understand the historical, cultural, literary, and authorial context of Jesus' words on divorce, one is likely to misunderstand them. You've likely heard:

"A Text without a Context is a Pretext - an ASSUMED meaning that often misses the authors intent!" I look forward to the discussion and to your input. May I ask; are you open to understanding scripture differently that how you've been taught to understand them?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member

For those going through divorce, my heart goes out to you and I pray that you'll find healing in this thread. I believe that a contextually based understanding of Jesus' and Paul's directives concerning MDR are simultaneously convicting, liberating, and empowering and powerfully applies to every situation. Jesus strongly affirmed the divine ideal of marriage - the union of a man and woman in a monogomous faithful loving covenant-based relationship filled with the love, joy, and peace of God! And we pray for more of Heaven on earth especially in our families.

Hello again everyone,

So, what do you believe about MDR and why do you believe it? I do have some pretty strong beliefs on this issue but of course am open to learning more and especially being corrected. It's a controversial issue, but I hope that we can share with grace and mutual respect.

Blessings,

Sherman

Scripture has been given to us as to what God's mind and judgments are on how we are to live our lives before him and that trumps whatever anybody feels or thinks to the contrary.

Matthew 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Matthew 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Luke 16:18 Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

The only 2 things that release anybody out of marriage are death and fornication. If we divorce our spouses for anything outside of that and either of us remarry anybody else we are living in adultery.

So, basically, if I divorce my wife because we can't get along anymore, or anything else but fornication, and get remarried to somebody else then I am in adultery because in God's eyes I am still married to my previous wife.

Romans 7:2-3 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Well, cardcaptor, I can see we have a lot to discuss, especially what Jesus said. Sadly, if one does not understand the historical, cultural, literary, and authorial context of Jesus' words on divorce, one is likely to misunderstand them. You've likely heard:

"A Text without a Context is a Pretext - an ASSUMED meaning that often misses the authors intent!" I look forward to the discussion and to your input. May I ask; are you open to understanding scripture differently that how you've been taught to understand them?

There is no other way to understand these. Jesus and Paul were very clear on the subject and there is no other room for any other understanding of these scriptures.

Let's look at this example in context -

Mark 10:4-12 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away. And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter. And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

There is nothing to be assumed here.

So what you are saying then, is that you are not open to understanding them differently. I can accept that and thus will not correspond with you directly concerning those passages.

Blessings,

Sherman

By the way, understanding what Jesus said concerning MDR is like understanding Forest and Jenny (on Forest Gump) being just like peas and carrots! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

I believe that the scripture quoted in context is speaking to the larger issue of the Truth behind the Law, that it is a heart issue, and that is what our Lord is trying to communicate in all of the Scripture thus far quoted. Matter of fact He is picking a scab with those very self same Pharisee's.

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

damo1

hay brother sherman

i am a divorced man my self who is about to be married for the second time even though god gives us instructions on marraige and on divorce and how he sees divorce he is every caring and this is wear i feel the body when i say the body i say the hole body of christ needs to stop playing god and also look at how it approaches divorced people as the church its self is good at laying the guilt trip as i call it

i was like axxman i did not want to sign the divorce papers my x wife sent me yet i did not feel guilty but ager towards those godly people that puled as appart

i gave in as my x wife was already in a new relationship and living with the man she met yet i held back say a month before i decided to give her her freedom yet she continued to use my last name instead of going back to her maiden name

i am also seeing with in the body many wil not discuss this openly yet its so simple to lay the guilt trip on divorcees and say this is what it says in gods word and this is how you are too handle this wel hello we live in a world wear this happens constantly and it also happens in the body of christ as wel but we would rather not look at what needs to be looked at instead we play god and make others feel guilty

this is not who god is and this is not what god does when he forgives a sinner he forgives and he forgets but the body its self thinks it can throw that persons past into their face and you wonder why their are so many that cant move forward or to wear god can heal them

people are walking with open scars that need to be heald they need to be accepted they need to hear we are hear for you in your time of need this is what i my self feel

and i wil not let no one in the body of christ lay the guilt trip on me to make me feel bad

yeh these verses are realy good but do we take heed to these verses ?

Matthew 5 -32 but i say unto you that who so ever shall put away his wife saving for the cause of forniction causes her to commit adultry and who so ever shall marry her that is divorced commiteth adultry

yes its for both men and for women but say in a situation wear the party wil not come to agreement both christian and both know gods word very wel you have one party who is willing to reconscile and the other side who wants nothing but a fresh start and does not even want to hear what gods word has to say

does that person stay single until the person is dead as this is also what it says in gods word

it says this in 1 corinthians on marraige

1 corinthians 7 marraige

1 now for the matters you wrote about it is it good for a man not to marry

2 but since their is so much immorality each man should have his own wife and each women her own husband

3 the husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife and like wise the wife to her husband

4 the wifes body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband in the same way the husbands body does not belong to him alone but to his wife

5 do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time so that you may devote your selves

to prayer and then come together again so that satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self control

these are pauls instructions passed on to the christians in his time yet i wonder how many of us realy take heed to what it says in gods word on how to better behave in a marraige we have the worlds way of how couples behave in a marraige that is not legaly bound as most do and have a paper to prove it marraige certificate

you also have couples doing what a normal marraige certificate is set for married couples

i hope no one thinks by what i have said is like an attack its just who i am as a person and how i have learnt to deal with my own personal strugles on this topic to wear i am able to know walk by some ones side with out playing god but put my arms around them and say i understand trust in god he is ever so gentl ever so loving and he only wants to take that pain and not throw that sin in your face but set you free and move you forward in your walk to wear you your self can comfort some one else as you wil understand what that person is going threw and you wil be the best one to walk with them in their time of need this is how it should be

god bless from your brother in the lord damien

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

Hello again everyone,

Blessings,

Sherman

There is no other way to understand these. Jesus and Paul were very clear on the subject and there is no other room for any other understanding of these scriptures.

Let's look at this example in context -

Mark 10:4-12 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away. And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter. And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

There is nothing to be assumed here.

So what you are saying then, is that you are not open to understanding them differently. I can accept that and thus will not correspond with you directly concerning those passages.

Blessings,

Sherman

Why would we want to understand these any differently than the way they are written? We all accept the way that John 3:16 is written and people are solid on the way that Eph. 2:8,9 is written, but we want different understandings on what Jesus and Paul said on Marriage/Divorce?

Scripture may give way to judgments for different situations, but never left room for different interpretations.

People have a hard time accepting taking this as written because they want the ability to divorce and remarry at their own discretions. I say this out experience.

damo1

to cardcaptor

you say this out of experiance how do you say what you said hear out of experiance have you your self been threw this ?

what i am saying as some one that has been threw this is this the church needs to stop playing god

my marraige was pulled apart by a pastor him self and i know of many christian couples that have been pulled appart by godly people who have nothing better to do than play god instead of being christ to those who need him the most

please do not turn this thread into a i know what the bible says i have come acros your posts in worthy and i am aware how you think my friend

lets hear your views on what i said as a person who has been divorced let hear how you wil make me feel bad as i said i do not let no one lay the guilt trip on me i am some one who also has walked along the side of sevral people in the same situation and it hurts my heart when i come across pig headed people who like nothing better to do to wear a couple is torn apart

lets hear your views on this ?

god bles from damien

Why would we want to understand these any differently than the way they are written? We all accept the way that John 3:16 is written and people are solid on the way that Eph. 2:8,9 is written, but we want different understandings on what Jesus and Paul said on Marriage/Divorce?

Scripture may give way to judgments for different situations, but never left room for different interpretations.

People have a hard time accepting taking this as written because they want the ability to divorce and remarry at their own discretions. I say this out experience.

Actually, it's understanding what is written. For example, Paul wrote that women were saved by childbirth, or Jesus said that if your hand sins cut it off. Did both of these mean what they say? of course not. What did the author mean by what He said? This is what I assume we are all looking for - what Jesus meant by what He said. What is the best interpretation of what He said in a Jewish culture to a Jewish audience under Jewish civil and religious law likely said in Aramaic, interpreting it to our modern culture, in modern English, and applying it to our lives today.

Let me ask this, are some of you stating that I should stay in an abusive mariage where the kiddos are in danger, he cheats, lies, looks at porno, does drugs and is also has a problem with drinking- :noidea: .

I would really like to hear the opinions and scriputre of how to save this dead marriage.

zg

Zoe-girl,

In no way am I saying that you should stay in an abusive marriage. The first step would likely be to have him arrested for his abuse. And I'd encourage you to get advice from a Christian lawyer, a Christian therapist, and of course your pastor.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

Even so, God's forgiveness and mercy is still available for those who have been the cause of such pain in other's lives. God's mercy is new every morning!

mmmmm - Amen brother. This is true for so many aspects of my life - of all our lives. His grace is so mighty, I can't comprehend it sometimes. I just rest in His mercy.