• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

Sherman,

I was reading some of Dr. Brewers materials and the thing that I saw that I found to be incorrect is that he see's Marriage in the light of those practicing it rather than the Light of the revelation of our Lords institution of it.

You are also stating a premise that Marriage should be entered seeing it as a breakable thing. That is a dangerous thought because God doesn't see it that way.

One other thing I have seen in those who adhere to Dr. Brewers writings is that they don't see Marriage as a Covenant. However God instituted it as such.

Can you answer to some of these precarious positions?

Peace,

Dave

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member

Grace to you,

Sherman,

So if one understands Jesus' words in the light of their cultural context, they make sense and Jesus is understood as a great liberator; and the Law of Moses is understood as a great blessing to the people, not a curse to be delivered from.

Not so at all. :emot-highfive:

Here's the error, your assuming that Moses instituting this regulation was in effect a Law. It wasn't neither was it liberating by the Lords own words. It was rather a covering up of an already binding situation. Binding in the sense of being bound in sin. It was step at controlling an out of control situation that came from wicked hearts and minds.

Moseses regulation wasn't liberation. It was an institution to try and control a dreaded practice which was still in effect in the Lords day of Ministry. Liberation was the the Word that Jesus gave that it was a matter of the heart and that the Pharissee as well as all who were practicing this putting away of the wife for any reason at all were in need of deliverance from.

Cultural context or not wicked men put away their wives because of this;

Jas

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/22/1962

Well Dave,

I suppose we understand things very differently. I believe the Law was and is good and holy, a gift from God that reflected the heart and Spirit of God. It brought order into chaos. It was based in compassion and wisdom. And one of it's primary functions was to mitigate (lessen, reign in) the oppression of the weak and defenseless (women, children, slaves, and foreigners)! Moses was inspired by God to teach God's people how to live, order their lives, order their families, and order society. In fact, it's even the foundation for much of our civil order today in the USA. Of course, the Law was never meant to save, to bring one into relationship with God; rather, it was meant to teach the community of faith how to live rightly, how to respect life, and how to respect one another. The Law covered personal moral, domestic, civil, and religious issues and was meant as a blessing. If Israel truly lived out the Law, they would be a light to all nations. Israel could have been and ultimately was and is through Christ a light to all nations, a blessing to the whole world!

I encourage everyone to read Ps. 119 - the longest chapter in the Bible - extolling the virtues, benefits, blessings, and goodness of the Law! The Law was never meant to be an overbearing taskmaster; it was meant to be a blessing. The Law is only an overbearing taskmaster to those whose hearts are not right towards God. Sadly, the Pharisees used the Law to control and oppress others, and they deceptively explained away the directives of the Law so that they could appear holy and pious, and yet remain hateful, mean-spirited, and selfish to the core!

Sadly, because of the first great division in the Church between Jew and Gentile, the church of the 2nd century forward was virtually severed from our roots in Judaism, and the early church became very anti-semtic, to the point where the church throughout the centuries since has even persecuted the Jews - very sad.

Didn't Paul say something about the Law being good and holy, but sin working in us perverts or twists this. So the problem is not the Law, but the sin in us.

Blessings,

Sherman

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/08/1963

In John 4, we find Jesus offering salvation to a woman who is in a deep cycle of MDR. He offers her salvation (living water). He speaks to her knowing full well she'll speak to others and the Samaritan's will hear His good news to them.

The heart of Jesus is not about quibbling over the law. The heart of Christ is towards simple core things:

1. Repentence

2. Salvation

3. Healing

Read Matthew chapter 4 and 5 to the "Be-attitudes". The focus of Christ is seeking and saving the lost. The focus of the mind of Christ is help and healing, repentence and salvation, of setting the bound free. These are the attitudes of the mind of Christ, which He did in response to what He heard and saw of the Father.

Set aside YOUR mind, MY mind -- set them aside. Set aside EVERY human mind and FOCUS on His mind! Read to see His mind and bring your thoughts and hold the thoughts of your mind up against His. See how they stack up. Winnow them out. Separate the wheat (the mind of Christ) from the chaff (your natural carnal mind and thoughts).

When you are done doing this go back and read what you've written. Test it. Try it. Examine it. The true measure is the mind of Christ and His thoughts.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

The heart of Jesus is not about quibbling over the law. The heart of Christ is towards simple core things:

1. Repentence

2. Salvation

3. Healing

:th_praying: Jesus! Jesus! Jesus! His love and grace are so uncomprehendable to me.

• Group:  Royal Member

Grace to you,

Let me add one more thing.

Divorce is displeasing to God, Moses allowed it because of the hardness of the Old Testament Jews heart, it was never condoned by Jesus. Matter of fact He re-enforced what Moseses intent in enforcing the rule that Moses set up was.

We have already spoken to the fact that God didn't condone the practices of many wives that some of the Kings of Israel practiced and yes, even Abraham himself. He tolerated it and that is what the writ of Divorce that Moses instituted was about. It was never God's Good and perfect Will and anything outside of that is going to produce fruit of the worst kind as evidenced in the lives of these Kings and even Abraham.

God is merciful though and even used these circumstances to further the Kingdom and His purposes despite the fact that they were against His will.

This is a refreshing thought for those who find themselves wounded by this very issue. :th_praying:

I was reading something last night;

Ro 8:1