IGNORED

Romance Theology?

dgolvach

Guest Biblicist
Romance is not Biblical, although there is nothing wrong with it in its context. Love of G-d and intimacy with Christ has nothing to do with feelings or emotions. According to Christ's own teaching, if we love Him, we will obey His commands. One of them is to love one an other as He has loved us. He demonstrated that love for us by dying for us, not by getting romantic or intimate with us. His love for us is conditioned by the Father's love for Him.

Romance and romantic feelings are fleeting at best, but a lot of Christians seem to want that in all their relationships these days, including the relationship with their Creator. Love says "I want to spend time with you, I want to get to know you, I want learn all about you, I want to make you happy." Romance says, "I want you to make me feel good." Love lasts forever, romance doesn't care about your name, all it cares about it a feeling for the moment. Where I come from, that's a one night stand. Many believers seem to be quite content with that with Christ, however.

:whistling:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357

Biblical love "ahavah", is operative in nature. It is always doing. It's focus is never on self, but on others. True love is always looking for the things that make for your highest good.

I will simply say that as a man, I have a real problem with my realtionship with God being expressed in what appears to be sexual terminology.

I am a guy and God is represented in Scripture in the male gender, so it is impossible for me as a man to relate to another male in sexual terms. I am just not wired that way.

The only way for me to express my love and devotion to the Lord is to do what He says to do. In the end, that is how you know if you are loved. It is by the actions of the other person. Words and emotions alone will not cut it. There is an emotional component to my love for God because I know what He did for me at the cross and my love for Jesus is based, not on some "romantic" thing, but on the basis of a debt of eternal gratitude for His sacrifice. I always get choked up and misty-eyed when I meditate on what Jesus did on the cross and the fact that He did it for me.

The LORD

The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.
Jeremiah 31:3

And His People

And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Mark 12:29-31

At Home Together

And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:

And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.

Revelation 22:3-4

I Can Hardly Wait!

Come Quickly Lord Jesus, Come Quickly

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

So what are we going to turn WB into a platform to launch talk about romancing with the Almighty God as in a romance story from Barns and Noble.

Do we have to turn the bible into some cheap book about sex?...You people disgust me.

Actually Eric this book was bought at a Christian Book store, written by a Christian author and builds it message by using the Bible. You should read "Song of Songs" ITS IN THE BIBLE AND IT WAS WRITTEN BY GOD!. Much of the book I sited used "Song of Songs" You should also take the time to read the original post so you would even understand the context of the thread itself which was not about "cheap sex". Don't think that cutting people down and throwing condemnation around will elevate you and bring you one inch closer to God. IT WONT! You don't disgust me but your act here of being a self appointed bull horn for God coupled by your obvious complete ignorance of the subject being discussed here is irritating at best. But if you feel like your rightousness has been offended, by all means.....go to the moderators and get me banned from the board.

Have a nice day!

Dan

p.s. read the whole thread sometimes before you start lobbing your insults (commision to Eric by God) around to cut down others who are merely talking about a subject of spiritual concerns.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  269
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

So what are we going to turn WB into a platform to launch talk about romancing with the Almighty God as in a romance story from Barns and Noble.

Do we have to turn the bible into some cheap book about sex?...You people disgust me.

Eric,

Even as a believer, many people struggle with this hollow place inside that needs to be filled. Unfortunately, we often choose sin to fill the void. Especially sexual sin through deed or thought.

It makes perfect sense to me that the hollowness inside is something that has not yet been given to the Lord and I would go right along with the OP that this serious void is a lack of intimacy.

Nobody is turning this into a dirty novel, but rather looking at this in a different way. We want God to have control of every area of our life and one of the areas he created was our sexual being. It is another area that makes us part of who we are. There is nothing wrong with using a sexual analogy to help understand the intimacy a believer can have with their Creator. We use analogies all the time and just because sex is involved, it doesn't make it dirty. God created it. We've made it dirty.

Rania

Biblical love "ahavah", is operative in nature. It is always doing. It's focus is never on self, but on others. True love is always looking for the things that make for your highest good.

I will simply say that as a man, I have a real problem with my realtionship with God being expressed in what appears to be sexual terminology.

I am a guy and God is represented in Scripture in the male gender, so it is impossible for me as a man to relate to another male in sexual terms. I am just not wired that way.

The only way for me to express my love and devotion to the Lord is to do what He says to do. In the end, that is how you know if you are loved. It is by the actions of the other person. Words and emotions alone will not cut it. There is an emotional component to my love for God because I know what He did for me at the cross and my love for Jesus is based, not on some "romantic" thing, but on the basis of a debt of eternal gratitude for His sacrifice. I always get choked up and misty-eyed when I meditate on what Jesus did on the cross and the fact that He did it for me.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/20/1984

Amen to that. The idea of intimacy God encourages in married couples. God states clearly he would prefer we be "chaste" but those who need that intimacy he created the union of marriage to share those sexual feelings with another. Its a blessing from God to express our inner self. Song of Songs is a excellent book in the bible, it frequently describes our relationship with God as our "lover"... This isnt meant as a sexual human perversion. Doesnt mean he wants our physical bodies, he wants our spiritual bodies. He wants us to be able to open our inmost selves to his glory. God doesnt say I want some of you, he wants all!!! this means Father, Son, Mother, Lover, Friend... You are accepted as the being you are and he makes you long to be a better person in this world and beyond.

God bless~

Heatherx

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Right on the money! May I suggest you read Madame Guyon's "Little Book" on prayer? It's available under several titles, but if you look at the Madame Guyon section in any good-sized Christian book store, it will be obvious which one it is.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/20/1984

The perfect relationship.

Of couse we are saved from the cross. We can enter in his presence daily because of calvery. With out spending time in his presence we could never overcome sin because its his love that makes sin less attractive. The point about intimacy with God is pure spiritual intercourse that dosen't need physical sex to acomplish it. It is where you drink from God and get your soul's food from him in his throne room. You soul's food is this powerful intimate love that is far more than we we experience between humans when it comes to intimacy. He gives this to us and our souls are healthy amd we don't need to run to sin to get them feed any longer.

Dan