SDAinFLA

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

This is a question that I am not sure of the answer so I thought I would run it by my brothers and sisters at Worthyboards.

In my experience, music plays a big role in worship. I believe that there is music in heaven and when we get there, there will be singing and instruments to make a joyful noise unto the Lord.

However, in my denomination there is a mixture of all types of musics.

If you go to some churches, they sing hymns

If you go to some churches, they sing country gospel.

If you go to another church you might hear gospel rap.

Last night we went to a gospel concert and they were singing gospel reggae.

I know that Lucifer was a master in music, but I'm not sure what part he is playing in Christian music today.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

This is a question that I am not sure of the answer so I thought I would run it by my brothers and sisters at Worthyboards.

In my experience, music plays a big role in worship. I believe that there is music in heaven and when we get there, there will be singing and instruments to make a joyful noise unto the Lord.

I know that Lucifer was a master in music, but I'm not sure what part he is playing in Christian music today.

What do you guys think?

Shalom,

Some people worry about satan too much :emot-highfive: Seriously. Look to G-d for the answers.

The key is the MESSAGE. The words. DO they glorify G-d? If so, the style of the music is irrelevant. It is the message that makes something glorifying to G-d or not.

You see, G-d created music not satan. Music in it's pure form cannot be evil since it is G-d's creation. Satan has no influence at that point. When man gets ahold of G-d's creation, then it can be used for either good or evil, but INHERENTLY, the music cannot be evil since G-d created it.

So, simply check the message - see who it glorifies, what it says, what it promotes. If it is a Christian message, don't worry about the style.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/26/1969

What do you guys think?

Shalom,

Some people worry about satan too much :emot-highfive: Seriously. Look to G-d for the answers.

The key is the MESSAGE. The words. DO they glorify G-d? If so, the style of the music is irrelevant. It is the message that makes something glorifying to G-d or not.

You see, G-d created music not satan. Music in it's pure form cannot be evil since it is G-d's creation. Satan has no influence at that point. When man gets ahold of G-d's creation, then it can be used for either good or evil, but INHERENTLY, the music cannot be evil since G-d created it.

So, simply check the message - see who it glorifies, what it says, what it promotes. If it is a Christian message, don't worry about the style.

Shalom Vicky and SDA,

i very much agree with you Vicky, except on one point. the style of the music does actually matter. now, i'm not talking about the instruments. ever notice when you listen to certain styles of music you feel an emotional response to it, even without lyrics. imagine a lovesong with beautiful lyrics and hard-driving heavy metal music, it causes the confusion of spirit and soul in that you feel agression, though the words are giving praise. this is like unequally yoked material, or pure waters and bitter waters coming out of a fountain, either way the fountain is contaminated.

though the Living G'd created music, what we as humans create with it is another thing.

Shalom v'Chesed b'Yeshua,

Z'ev Yochanan

Shalom Z'ev Yochanan,

I agree that different styles of music are different, however, I disagree that hard-driving music elicits "aggression."

My son listens to hard-driving Christian rock and it is just as glorifying to G-d and just as pleasing to my son as my softer music. So, no, it does not matter the style to G-d, it only matters as a personal preference to people, and again, G-d created the music, so it is not evil without words.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

My husband and I attended a church for a number of years that had a hymnal and a "supplemental" song book. Now, the hymnal contained all the old favorites that mean so much, but the supplemental song book had more modern songs -- just as beautiful and as meaningful as the hymnal, but newer. Well, talk about a controversy! The songleader got in big trouble if he used too many of the supplemental songs. One day I was talking with another memeber of the congregation and she was so angry over the supplemental songs that she pounded her fists on the table and said "They're ugly, ugly, ugly!" Well, I had to speak up. I pointed out that in this book were songs such as the Psalm David wrote 'Create in me a clean heart, oh God, and renew a right spirit withing me..." and another Psalm "As a deer panteth for the water so my soul longeth after You..." Well, you get the picture. These were not hard rock songs with fringe type words. I don't think this woman had ever stopped to think of anything except that these were "new" songs. Well, believe it or not, she began to love the supplemental songbook. This wasn't the only problem in that church and we did move away from it. But the point is, the music needs to glorify God.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Some people worry about satan too much :o Seriously. Look to G-d for the answers.

:o Awesome response, Vickilynn!

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

the style of the music does actually matter. now, i'm not talking about the instruments. ever notice when you listen to certain styles of music you feel an emotional response to it, even without lyrics.

Well, that is the nature of music.

This reminds me of a song by the Gaither vocal band:

When God created living things

He knew we'd need a way

To share our fears, our questions and our dreams

There were words but words won't do

When joy is swelled up inside

There simply had to be a better way

Then He said, "Sing! . . ."

imagine a lovesong with beautiful lyrics and hard-driving heavy metal music, it causes the confusion of spirit and soul in that you feel agression, though the words are giving praise. this is like unequally yoked material, or pure waters and bitter waters coming out of a fountain, either way the fountain is contaminated.

People who listen to hard-driving heavy metal music are already confused. :o

Seriously, though, are there any heavy metal love songs out there?

Anyway, the few Christian metal bands I have listened to do play softer music for their ballads (as they call them). And not all heavy metal music makes you feel aggression. Again, when listening to the the Christian bands, I didn't feel aggression - energetic, but not necessarily aggression (well, as energetic as I could; it's not exactly what I enjoy listening to).

Speaking of - I have a friend whom I heard singing "Amazing Grace" death-metal style. Oh, it was hysterical!

Which was just as good as another friend singing "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "Gilligand's Island."

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  474
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Shalom Vicky and SDA,

i very much agree with you Vicky, except on one point. the style of the music does actually matter. now, i'm not talking about the instruments. ever notice when you listen to certain styles of music you feel an emotional response to it, even without lyrics. imagine a lovesong with beautiful lyrics and hard-driving heavy metal music, it causes the confusion of spirit and soul in that you feel agression, though the words are giving praise. this is like unequally yoked material, or pure waters and bitter waters coming out of a fountain, either way the fountain is contaminated.

though the Living G'd created music, what we as humans create with it is another thing.

Shalom v'Chesed b'Yeshua,

Z'ev Yochanan

My viewpoint is that the music AND the words matter.

To illustrate this point, I will refer to the use of the musical instruments to convey the characters personalities in Peter & the Wolf, or the use of music in scary movies to build up the apprehension one feels.

Music, without words, is very expressive, in and of itself alone.

To further illustrate my point, I would like to refer to the differing tones of voice we use to convey an attitude. This can be very effective at expessing our emotions, despite whatever words are used.

Now I am not saying that the only music one can listen to is this or that kind, but what I am saying is that this or that kind of music can express varying ideas and emotions without the help of words. Discernment is left up to the individual, and each person may interpret the music differently and not necessarily the same as the musicians playing it.

Again, I am simply pointing out that music is effective at doing this.

Music, without words, is very expressive, in and of itself alone.

Shalom Sister,

Oh yes, music is expressive, no argument!

But the OP wanted to know if the music was of satan, by the style.

The answer is NO. Music is of G-d, unless it is being perverted for evil.

If the songs' message is glorifying G-d, the music style does not conflict, for music, though expressive, was created by G-d and is not evil in itself. Satan cannot create, he can only pervert. If the message glorifies G-d, the music glorifies G-d.

Guest Jeff@Yeshua

Being a person who has loved music all of my life I have experienced the whole the world has to offer. Since my conversion in 1992 I have had much difficulty in listening to secular music for several reasons. First, it draws me back to where I used to be and secondly, it is usually suggestive and ignites desires I am trying to crucify ( I am married to Christ). Having said all of this I draw to the question. Y-H-V-H created all things, good and evil. He created the Adversary for His glory. When Satan fell, it did not diminsh His gift of music though now, instead of playing to Adonai he plays to mankind's lustly desires. It is still, however, El Shaddai who is the Creator of music. When written to His praise and sung to His glory it is music to His ears, whether I like it or not. I have to wonder what the old hymn writters would think of Jars of Clay or the Newsboys.

Shalom

Edited by Jeff@Yeshua