• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

It is the age. When my mom would not let me wear make-up I just put it on in school and washed it off before getting home. That would be the end result. My daughter at age seven loves lipstick in which I hardly ever wear but her granma is always using lipstick. Right now she wants to play grown up. If we go to a wedding I allow her to apply blush and lipstick and she is good at it. I do not agree with teenagers or preteens looking older that they are..trouble can ensue... both my nieces where very little and remain modest they are 11 and 13. the 13 year old is 5'5" right now.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/15/1959

I do have a 12 yr old daughter and the makeup thing did come up but as a mother I taught her how to wear it modestly and to make it look like she was not wearing any makeup at all. I think it is up to the moms to show their daughters how to use the makeup to begin with. with the peer pressure out there it can be rough on moms because all young girls do want to be accepted by their peers and will do what ever it takes to make that happen but first things first you have to make your daughters feel like they are special and don't need to be accepted on looks but be accepted on who they are on the inside. and don't allow them to grow up before their time. Cecee

Guest HIS girl
I do have a 12 yr old daughter and the makeup thing did come up but as a mother I taught her how to wear it modestly and to make it look like she was not wearing any makeup at all.

I agree totally. Less is more as they say.

Makeup when applied correctly should enhance your best features - there is a skill to it.

I don't have daughters but to me 12 is too young for a full made up face of mismatched colours.....minimal, natural looking and fresh would be the way to go at this age..

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I think it's a mistake to focus on the makeup in this situation. Whatever your personal beliefs about girls wearing makeup is, I think the REAL concern should be WHY she wears it, WHY she dresses like she does, etc.

Pre-teen and teenage girls these days face A LOT of peer pressure and deal with a LOT of self-esteem issues. Add to that the stresses (often imposed by adults) of needing to attain certain grades in school while excelling at extracurricular activities AND maintaining relationships...well, basically, it's a recipe for an extreme amount of stress that even we as adults can barely comprehend (for one thing, fully developed adult brains are better equipped to cope with pressures and the stress they cause). Sexual abuse would almost certainly amplify self-esteem issues, and many girls deal wtih this by doing things like applying too much makeup and dressing in clothes which draw sexual attention to themselves.

Anyway, my point is, I think what she really needs now, more than a no-makeup rule (which would treat a symptom but not bring a cure), is someone to come alongside her, to pray for her, to be someone she can trust and open up to, and to gently guide her as she faces all the issues girls her age must face.

Guest HIS girl
I think it's a mistake to focus on the makeup in this situation. Whatever your personal beliefs about girls wearing makeup is, I think the REAL concern should be WHY she wears it, WHY she dresses like she does, etc.

You're right.

The makeup and her dress sense is a manifestation of the problems she has faced earlier on in her life.

Looking at the date of the OP, I sincerely hope and pray that help is what she has recieved.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Looking at the date of the OP, I sincerely hope and pray that help is what she has recieved.

*laugh* I didn't even think to check the date! Looks like we have another resurrected thread...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

When my oldest daughter wanted to start wearing make-up I played the "dad" role and put my foot down. She was 11yrs old and I wasn't having it. Then my wife came along and set me straight. MY wife explained it like this...

When my wife was young her mom played the hardcore role and it really made my wife WANT to wear make-up and dress more grown-up. My wife wanted to de-mystify the concept by allowing it. She taught my daughter all the tricks of the trade..we even bought her some newer more "trendy", more mature looking clothes. As a dad I was kind of heartbroken to see my little girl trying so hard to grow up (and I hated the make-up.) I gotta say though...my wife was 100% right on this one. My daughter is a bit older now and she rarely wears make-up, and when she does she puts it on modestly, just like her mom showed her. It also didn't take long for her to go back to wearing jeans and and t-shirts and those "mature" clothes have all but disappeared.

Now, about dating....I'm putting my foot down....

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

rana, though, rarely bothers with makeup, and in fact, hasn't for years, except for special occasions.

I'm the same. I was allowed to wear make up from age 14 and, whereas my sister has always been in to make up, I only really where makeup on special occassions.

I hate seeing young girls with make up on, I think it looks awful!

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  376
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/30/1962

i have 3 daughters ,,, the house rule is no make up till your 15 ,,, i know they wear it at school (dad aint that stupid) i wouldnt worry about it so much i mean as long as they are being taught right they will figuar it out ,,, i might poke a little fun at my oldest when she puts it on (as she is 17) ya know??? like i say hey tammy fay ya missed a spot :laugh: she gets my point and tones it down a little ,,, not that im saying its a sin or nothing to wear to much i mean look at the clowns :laugh: they gob it on :34: really tho i just never thouhgt about it to much ,,,i dont wear make up,,, it wouldnt go over in my crowd and my wife would be so embarrased :foot-stomp::laugh: set the example im sure she will see it ,,, love in christ arrowfrom god

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

In my opinion, 12 is much to young for make-up no matter what the "norm" seems to be. What is the rush to let these kids grow up so fast.

I nearly bite my tongue off when I see these toddlers with black/animal print clothing or the real sparkly clothing. What happened to ducks and such. Why do they need to like like minature pop-stars. Why can't they just be KIDS!

Dress up/makeup is ok for a special event like a recital or something, but on a daily basis ...NO.